Crosby diagnosed with a concussion

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
You have no clue if he got 2 concussions though. It was 2 hits, that doesn't mean there was 2 concussions. He could have broken his vertebrae on the Steckel hit and gotten a concussion on the Hedman hit for all we know.

True, though neither do you and you've held hard to calling this his second. It doesn't really matter as he's seemingly recovered from that time period. Regardless, counting two incidents as one because they happened within days doesn't make any sense.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
True, though neither do you and you've held hard to calling this his second. It doesn't really matter as he's seemingly recovered from that time period. Regardless, counting two incidents as one because they happened within days doesn't make any sense.

I was counting them as one because that's what it's always been referred to, both by him and by the team.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
According to a physician I consulted, a concussion is injury to head that is not visible in any scans/pictures. There also is a lot of different parameters on which the severity is based. All hockey players have several concussions throughout their careers. We only hear about the more severe ones.

It's completely possible that Crosby has had dozen concussions already in his career. But we've only heard about two or three. More than likely Crosby hasn't even told his medical staff every time he has been concussed since he hasn't realized it.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I pray he's stays healthy once he gets back but still doesn't hold back on keeping up his recent play by trying to be too safe. Obviously his life is more important than his performance, I just really want to see vintage Crosby again for a full season.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I pray he's stays healthy once he gets back but still doesn't hold back on keeping up his recent play by trying to be too safe. Obviously his life is more important than his performance, I just really want to see vintage Crosby again for a full season.

Yeah. Of course he and the medical staff put premium on health over amazing season. But from a fan POV, I really want to see Crosby taking a crack at 120 points and another Cup.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
This doesn't seem that serious. Crosby will most likely only miss the first 2 games and he wouldn't have had a chance to score any points in those 2 games anyway since it's against the Caps and Ducks. He will most likely be back against Colorado and there's a good chance he could still win the Art Ross.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Wait, what? :laugh:

Well the Caps are the president's trophy winners and the Ducks are big and physical. That usually spells trouble for Crosby. However Crosby will do much better against Colorado who has a weak defense and Montreal who is a mess overall. I wouldn't be surprised to see Crosby put up 5 points in those two games...

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Well the Caps are the president's trophy winners and the Ducks are big and physical. That usually spells trouble for Crosby. However Crosby will do much better against Colorado who has a weak defense and Montreal who is a mess overall. I wouldn't be surprised to see Crosby put up 5 points in those two games...

Last year he had 5 points in 2 games vs. the Ducks and 4 in 5 vs. the Caps. I think he would be ok.

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
Last time he had a concussion, he was skating with the team for a while before finally playing...so wouldn't take him skating during practice (unless full contact) as any progression.

SidDidNothingWrong

Beau's IcedCapp
Jan 2, 2014

Stop spreading your ignorance friendo.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
i'm a pens fan and i think he should retire, the long term affects aren't worth the risk

he has already cemented his place as one of the best players of all time, he's filthy rich and has won every major individual award

what is the point? to add to his legacy? at the end of the day nobody really cares about your legacy, especially 30 years from now when his career is over and could be dealing with severe health problems

Dewey Eye

Apr 28, 2014
all this "he should retire" stuff is ridiculous.

how many concussions do you think boxers and MMA fighters receive? And no, they are not all babbling morons when they retire. heck, i boxed for a good bit of time and made it through law school at 30 years old.

i guarantee every HS football player (who actually regularly sees the field) graduates with at least 1 or 2. this concussion stuff is so overblown.

the guys the NFL studies literally beat their heads against each other at speed EVERY DAY for years. that is a very rare occurrence

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
i'm a pens fan and i think he should retire, the long term affects aren't worth the risk

he has already cemented his place as one of the best players of all time, he's filthy rich and has won every major individual award

what is the point? to add to his legacy? at the end of the day nobody really cares about your legacy, especially 30 years from now when his career is over and could be dealing with severe health problems

Ridiculous post :laugh:

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
all this "he should retire" stuff is ridiculous.

how many concussions do you think boxers and MMA fighters receive? And no, they are not all babbling morons when they retire. heck, i boxed for a good bit of time and made it through law school at 30 years old.

i guarantee every HS football player (who actually regularly sees the field) graduates with at least 1 or 2. this concussion stuff is so overblown.

the guys the NFL studies literally beat their heads against each other at speed EVERY DAY for years. that is a very rare occurrence

how many athletes missed more than 100 games with a concussion like crosby? it's safe to say he has been affected by head injuries more than most

some people smoke 2 packs a day and live to 80, some don't smoke at all and die from lung cancer at 40

crosby might end up being perfectly fine but again what is he risking it for when he has already accomplished everything? these old farts will never admit he's better than gordie howe or whatever player that played 100 years ago no matter what he accomplishes so what is the point?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
If he likes playing hockey, and wants to do so for as long as possible, he'll probably keep playing?

To some, if not most, it's not about "accomplishing everything" as much as it's about just doing what you love for as long as possible.

So there's absolutely zero chance he retires anytime soon. None. These guys only know one thing, and it's hockey.

stratosphere

Mar 19, 2010
87 has nothing to prove on the ice. Retiring wouldn't be the worse case scenario. Playing another season and getting his eggs scrambled badly again would be though. Until you've spent a few weeks in a dark, quiet room wondering if you will ever see straight again or trying to remember who the people are that keep opening the door to check on you, its tough to know what having a severe concussion is like. Been there, done that and its not pleasant or something you forget.

It's a young man's game--now more than ever. Sid has to make some difficult decisions. The risks are real--on an immediate basis but also long term. Concussions aren't like knee injuries. You can't replace a brain, at least not yet. If you could, I can think of a few people I'd move to the front of the line for that one. :)

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
87 has nothing to prove on the ice. Retiring wouldn't be the worse case scenario. Playing another season and getting his eggs scrambled badly again would be though. Until you've spent a few weeks in a dark, quiet room wondering if you will ever see straight again or trying to remember who the people are that keep opening the door to check on you, its tough to know what having a severe concussion is like. Been there, done that and its not pleasant or something you forget.

Crosby's symptoms have never been like that.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Crosby isn't going to retire over a concussion that is apparently not serious. There is no telling how many concussions old-school players received back before helmets were worn and more unadulterated violence on the ice took place, and most of them kept on playing. In fact a good many of them went on to live long productive lives. The only type of concussion that will result in Crosby leaving the NHL will be a Savard-type concussion. The guy is a total gamer and he clearly loves what he does. He won't walk away from that unless he is forced.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad