Crosby diagnosed with a concussion

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I am comparing Sidney to Sidney, thank you.

Sidney himself said he was waking up with headaches = bad

Not cleared to play= bad

Sidney has had three concussions in six years=bad

This isn't about anybody but Sidney(thread title) Sidney has three recorded instances of brain injury.

Think about that. Three times in his life (documented) he has injured his brain. That, imo, is scary.

Nobody knows if there's brain damage, no matter how small, already in Sidney's brain outside of Sidney and his doctors. That's scary also. How old is he? 29?30? That's a frightening thought to even comprehend for somebody so young. Young enough to question after everything he's accomplished is still playing even worth it?

And btw, if a Toews thread was made I would say the exact same thing. Human being first

Look, we know you have an agenda. Bringing up Sid's other injuries that have nothing to do with concussions as evidence he should call it quits proves that. Just admit it.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Look, we know you have an agenda. Bringing up Sid's other injuries that have nothing to do with concussions as evidence he should call it quits proves that. Just admit it.
Brain injury isn't a concussion now?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Brain injury isn't a concussion now?

You said:

I never ignored Sidney broke his vertebrae. I have concern over what is being reported three concussions in six years. I also concern Sidney has only played at least 80 games four time during an 11 year career.

So now even ankle sprains, mumps and broken jaws should factor into it? I thought this was about concussions.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
You said:

So now even ankle sprains, mumps and broken jaws should factor into it? I thought this was about concussions.
Showing how fragile he is does indeed play into the severity of his concussions.

But, you never answered the question as to how other players concussions effect Sidney's and does everybody have the same brain type and suffered the exact same concussion........

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Showing how fragile he is does indeed play into the severity of his concussions.
You're going to have to explain how mumps and ankle sprains factor into concussions, doc.

But, you never answered the question as to how other players concussions effect Sidney's and does everybody have the same brain type and suffered the exact same concussion........

Why did you get defensive once Toews was brought up? Very curious.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
You're going to have to explain how mumps and ankle sprains factor into concussions, doc.

Why did you get defensive once Toews was brought up? Very curious.
Nice deflection. :D

Since you can't answer the question, the simple answer is, you just cant diagnose others and use that as a diagnosis for Sidney. Medical science isn't performed upon a forum. Sidney,(that's his name) has a history of injury which very much pertains to his actual health in healing. It's obvious to the doctors by his injury history that he is a slow healer from his past history or that they take their time in his recuperation. His history of concussions should be a cause for concern to his fan base.

Toews, Bergeron, etc, and their experiences with dealing with concussions have no bearing what so ever on Sidney. And to use that as an example is not only hilariously horrible and baseless to Sidney, but a weak and dangerously ignorant defense. Sidney has an obvious issue. The question should be what caused another concussion or if it's a lingering concussion from another occurrence.

Nobody knows, and the sad reality is, nobody will ever know the actual truth unless somebody can get a medical report which is impossible.

I actually feel sorry for Sidney. Brain trauma is a horrible thing to have and hard to completely over come. Medical clearance doesn't mean his brain is healed from trauma, it means doctors have cleared him to play. Which is why the extreme witch-hunt that's been triggered thru out sport concerning concussions.

Face it, nobody knows if Sidney isn't suffering effects still from his first concussion years ago. Only Sidney. That's the reality of actual brain trauma and dealing with the repercussions of it. And lastly, while I am not a doctor, I have studied concussions and know a little bit about the subject. Sidney's voice pattern has changed subtlety in the last few years and I'll say it again, waking up with headaches isn't a good thing.

I would have to look at every instance of impact at every point he was concussed to look deeper into his situation, how much and where the damage was worse. Sidney gets a lot of flack for his play last year before the coaching change but it honestly could have been effect from concussions.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
Sidney gets a lot of flack for his play last year before the coaching change but it honestly could have been effect from concussions.

So... He starts tearing it up immediately after the coaching change, but he was terrible before that because concussions? Right on.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

Except the part where he's hardly missed any games since 2013, but keep on trying to spread that false narrative.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Nice deflection. :D

Since you can't answer the question, the simple answer is, you just cant diagnose others and use that as a diagnosis for Sidney. Medical science isn't performed upon a forum. Sidney,(that's his name) has a history of injury which very much pertains to his actual health in healing. It's obvious to the doctors by his injury history that he is a slow healer from his past history or that they take their time in his recuperation. His history of concussions should be a cause for concern to his fan base.

Toews, Bergeron, etc, and their experiences with dealing with concussions have no bearing what so ever on Sidney. And to use that as an example is not only hilariously horrible and baseless to Sidney, but a weak and dangerously ignorant defense. Sidney has an obvious issue. The question should be what caused another concussion or if it's a lingering concussion from another occurrence.

Nobody knows, and the sad reality is, nobody will ever know the actual truth unless somebody can get a medical report which is impossible.

I actually feel sorry for Sidney. Brain trauma is a horrible thing to have and hard to completely over come. Medical clearance doesn't mean his brain is healed from trauma, it means doctors have cleared him to play. Which is why the extreme witch-hunt that's been triggered thru out sport concerning concussions.

Face it, nobody knows if Sidney isn't suffering effects still from his first concussion years ago. Only Sidney. That's the reality of actual brain trauma and dealing with the repercussions of it. And lastly, while I am not a doctor, I have studied concussions and know a little bit about the subject. Sidney's voice pattern has changed subtlety in the last few years and I'll say it again, waking up with headaches isn't a good thing.

I would have to look at every instance of impact at every point he was concussed to look deeper into his situation, how much and where the damage was worse. Sidney gets a lot of flack for his play last year before the coaching change but it honestly could have been effect from concussions.

Here's the point where you completely de-railed. :laugh:

Group Chat Legend*

NHL Network saying if anyone knows how to deal with a concussion its Crosby...

I thought hes only had two including this one?

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida

Sid gets targeted in a very significant number of games he plays. Last year he was charged, boarded, and cross checked (twice in the neck/head) without coming up with just scuffs to show. The league doesn't come anywhere close to protecting him like superstars of the past or superstars of other leagues. Fragile is what you should use to describe the amount of hypocrites on this board.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
Sid gets targeted in a very significant number of games he plays. Last year he was charged, boarded, and cross checked (twice in the neck/head) without coming up with just scuffs to show. The league doesn't come anywhere close to protecting him like superstars of the past or superstars of other leagues. Fragile is what you should use to describe the amount of hypocrites on this board.

This is very true but Crosby does play a grinding style. It's expected.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
So then how many has he had?

At most I remember maybe a 3rd during an off season back around his winter game concussion.
I'm counting three, but maybe I'm missing one. He collided with Steckel when the latter was with Washington. That's one. I know it was neck / vertebrae, but I think it was also a concussion. Hedman from Tampa Bay gave him a routine check on the endboards a few games later. That's two. Now whatever this is (from the World Cup of hockey perhaps). That's three.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
Its often reported that Crosby missed an entire year due to a concussion. That isn't actually true.

While it is true that he suffered a concussion from the Steckle/Hedmen hits, he also suffered a neck injury which went undiagnosed for over a year. The symptoms of the neck injury were similar to the symptoms of a concussion, causing Crosby and his doctors to believe that he was still suffering from the concussion.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...to-concussion/2012/01/31/gIQA2zEHfQ_blog.html

So his concussion history isn't quite as dramatic as people want to believe. Doesn't mean he shouldn't take precautions, but retirement? Really?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'm counting three, but maybe I'm missing one. He collided with Steckel when the latter was with Washington. That's one. I know it was neck / vertebrae, but I think it was also a concussion. Hedman from Tampa Bay gave him a routine check on the endboards a few games later. That's two. Now whatever this is (from the World Cup of hockey perhaps). That's three.

Steckel/Hedman was the same injury. The Hedman hit just exacerbated it. I guess they could be counted separately, if you wanted to be nitpicky, but they were only a few days apart.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
This. Around the net is always a dangerous place to go, for anyone.

I agree with that. However, that battle area in front of the net is often dangerous for no reason (i.e. Burns punching everyone in the face within 8 ft of the crease) - buuut cross checks to the head and neck are not acceptable no matter where you're at. Sid's also not known as someone who routinely kicks snow in the face of a goalie who needs to be kept in check - because there are definitely net-front guys who are known to be that way.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Medical science isn't performed upon a forum.
Got it. Except when it is, like here, in your post.

It's obvious to the doctors by his injury history that he is a slow healer from his past history
Not really obvious at all. The problem with the misdiagnosed spinal injury is well worn territory. It wasnt about the healing, it was about the problem never being treated properly in the first place.

Like you said, medical science isnt performed in a forum

Medical clearance doesn't mean his brain is healed from trauma, it means doctors have cleared him to play. Which is why the extreme witch-hunt that's been triggered thru out sport concerning concussions.
Like you said, nobody really knows except for the player and medical science isnt performed in a forum

Face it, nobody knows if Sidney isn't suffering effects still from his first concussion years ago. Only Sidney.
yessir. Like you said, medical science isnt performed in a forum

And lastly, while I am not a doctor Sidney's voice pattern has changed subtlety in the last few years and I'll say it again, waking up with headaches isn't a good thing.

Im glad you added the not a doctor line, I was starting to wonder. Like you said, medical science isnt performed in a forum, man. His speech patterns? Ive seen a few reaches when people have an agenda re: Crosby but this might be the biggest.

You did say nobody really knows except for the player himself, and that is true. Which is why I think its a very good sign that he's already back out there on the ice. A guy at the apex of his career, if he was worried about the recurrence of a potentially-career ending injury, would not be rushing to get back on the ice. Not at the start of the season. Crosby is a gamer, but he isnt stupid and neither are the Pens brass. They wouldnt risk their prized asset at age 28 coming off a cup win like that. And I think they know alot better what to do than you or me.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

It happened in practice, not the World Cup (don't know how many times this has to be repeated).

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Its often reported that Crosby missed an entire year due to a concussion. That isn't actually true.

While it is true that he suffered a concussion from the Steckle/Hedmen hits, he also suffered a neck injury which went undiagnosed for over a year. The symptoms of the neck injury were similar to the symptoms of a concussion, causing Crosby and his doctors to believe that he was still suffering from the concussion.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...to-concussion/2012/01/31/gIQA2zEHfQ_blog.html

So his concussion history isn't quite as dramatic as people want to believe. Doesn't mean he shouldn't take precautions, but retirement? Really?

Once again, everyone read this. People amaze me here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad