Criticism of Flyers Media Personalities

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
"I never had a single problem with Ron in doing my job. Content wise, there was always an unspoken common sense understanding -- which was the case before Hexy and is still the case now -- that someone in an internal writer role can discuss issues on a macro teamwide level but it has to be balanced. Additionally, one shouldn't throw players or coaches under the bus in a team sport. Individual errors can be pointed out, as can a need for greater overall consistency so long as it's done respectfully and constructively."

HockeyBuzz.com - Bill Meltzer - Quick Hits: The Space in Between, Pryor, Murphy, GM Search and More

This is a quote from Bill Melter's article today and this quote stood out to me and it is something that i think needs to be brought to attention here.

I know posters on here , myself included, like to complain and we find the same easy targets to focus our energies at , but I never understood the criticisms of the Flyers media Personalities who are direct employees of the organization.

It goes without saying that there is bias with these announcers. And we should obviously expect it. To criticize Comcast Sportsnet or Jim Jackson, Keith Jones or any other flyers voice about being too biased towards the flyers is wasted breath.

Understand the confines that these people are working under and don't judge them on anything other than that.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Nobody expects the broadcast team to blast the coach or players, but that has nothing to do with their lack of knowledge, idiotic comments, and just general stupidity that has NOTHING to do with the kind of "code" that's being talked about here. Their incompetence has nothing to do with their employment. They go out of their way to embarrass and expose themselves.

How about a little common sense middle ground?

I won't expect them to call for Hakstol's firing during every game and in return I get decent/insightful/relevant commentary instead of stuff like the constant slobbering over Hagg, as if the trash is some kind of star.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Nobody expects the broadcast team to blast the coach or players, but that has nothing to do with their lack of knowledge, idiotic comments, and just general stupidity that has NOTHING to do with the kind of "code" that's being talked about here. Their incompetence has nothing to do with their employment. They go out of their way to embarrass and expose themselves.

How about a little common sense middle ground?

I won't expect them to call for Hakstol's firing during every game and in return I get decent/insightful/relevant commentary instead of stuff like the constant slobbering over Hagg, as if the trash is some kind of star.

You're not fooling anyone with that promise.

Reactions: Striiker

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Oh and their choice to act like Hogg is the Great Future while rarely pumping up guys like Patrick or TK or Sanheim, and in fact being harsher on them than they are the heavy morons, is unbearable and really bad for fan interest.

When the players they pump up suck, it sure makes it seem like the rest of the team must be hopeless.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
"I never had a single problem with Ron in doing my job. Content wise, there was always an unspoken common sense understanding -- which was the case before Hexy and is still the case now -- that someone in an internal writer role can discuss issues on a macro teamwide level but it has to be balanced. Additionally, one shouldn't throw players or coaches under the bus in a team sport. Individual errors can be pointed out, as can a need for greater overall consistency so long as it's done respectfully and constructively."

HockeyBuzz.com - Bill Meltzer - Quick Hits: The Space in Between, Pryor, Murphy, GM Search and More

This is a quote from Bill Melter's article today and this quote stood out to me and it is something that i think needs to be brought to attention here.

I know posters on here , myself included, like to complain and we find the same easy targets to focus our energies at , but I never understood the criticisms of the Flyers media Personalities who are direct employees of the organization.

It goes without saying that there is bias with these announcers. And we should obviously expect it. To criticize Comcast Sportsnet or Jim Jackson, Keith Jones or any other flyers voice about being too biased towards the flyers is wasted breath.

Understand the confines that these people are working under and don't judge them on anything other than that.

agreed, I suggested the same thing but the response wasn't appreciative.

People are kidding themselves if they think Jim Jackson or whoever is there to give an unbiased opinion. Certainly not in 2018.

The quarrel isn't with individual announcers, its with the people setting policy.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
agreed, I suggested the same thing but the response wasn't appreciative.

People are kidding themselves if they think Jim Jackson or whoever is there to give an unbiased opinion. Certainly not in 2018.

The quarrel isn't with individual announcers, its with the people setting policy.

Who wouldn't want to control policy. If my employee bad mouthed my company i would fire them in a heartbeat. Biting the hand that feeds you has never been a good strategy regardless of what field you're in.

magnumpi

Apr 22, 2018
Who wouldn't want to control policy. If my employee bad mouthed my company i would fire them in a heartbeat. Biting the hand that feeds you has never been a good strategy regardless of what field you're in.

people are unrealistic if they think Keith Jones is going to say "what is Dave Hakstol doing with these defensive pairings!@!!!!!!!"

Anymore, they don't go overboard on national broadcasts with criticisms.
Its more about protecting the country club.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
people are unrealistic if they think Keith Jones is going to say "what is Dave Hakstol doing with these defensive pairings!@!!!!!!!"

Anymore, they don't go overboard on national broadcasts with criticisms.
Its more about protecting the country club.

id protect anything that was directly responsible for my livelihood. That is called being smart.

Reactions: JXC and magnumpi

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

That's not what the (fair) criticism is. Of course you don't expect Jackson or Clement to rip a colleague. It's the chosen favorites being trite hockeyisms instead of adapting to the times or God forbid giving everyone relatively equal wiggle room.

Reactions: The Rage Kage

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
That's not what the (fair) criticism is. Of course you don't expect Jackson or Clement to rip a colleague. It's the chosen favorites being trite hockeyisms instead of adapting to the times or God forbid giving everyone relatively equal wiggle room.

you're too smart to get emotionally swayed by what paid employees say about their company's employees. That is all i have to say.

magnumpi

Apr 22, 2018
I don't disagree the announcers should be 100% genuine.
I'm not justifying it or accepting.
But that's our world.

If you're going to get upset about it, you're going to live a never ending crusade while watching sports and never be satiated.

This is not a battle that I chose to get upset over.

Knock yourself out if you think otherwise.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
But that's our world.

If you're going to get upset about it, you're going to live a never ending crusade while watching sports and never be satiated.

this is well put .

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
But that's our world.

They don't have to stop being genuine. Lying to us by pushing Hogg and Weise as great assets while being hard on guys like TK is just atrocious. We've seen how much damage that exasperated "high and wide" call does, it just poisons fans against players who don't deserve it. If anything, that isn't genuine.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Trashing Jonesy for blaming the players - EXCLUSIVELY - for their 3rd period breakdowns is more than reasonable, as it is ignorant and already a criticism of the organization writ large. Similarly with the other media personalities who ignore legitimate criticism from the fans because fans are "just fans" - dismissing real issues via the fallacious "appeal to authority."

And, if you dont my my saying, the OP reads more like virtue signalling than incisive commentary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad