Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
But also has no clue. And just spews word vomit. So

tenor.gif

marcsson68

Jan 23, 2018
I have made the experience that people who tend to shout "fire the coach", "fire the manager", "fire the president", "throw out those announcers" but who are deeply in (mainstream) love with young prospects, may have never had a job with higher responsibility in their lives. Just a personal observation that is of no statistical value and not meant to offend anyone. Just something to think about.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The broadcast crew is employed by the Flyers’ owners. Their jobs should be looked at as PR positions. They have families to support; you can’t expect them to buck bosses’ orders. Overall, I think they do a good job, keeping those factors in mind.

I’ve been pleasantly surprised by Colby Cohen’s willingness to point out individual mistakes in the studio. That’s a rarity. You’d think those who dislike the Flyers’ broadcasters for being too pro-Flyer should at least appreciate Cohen’s willingness to criticize Flyers players, but interestingly that doesn’t seem to be the case.

Reactions: marcsson68

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
The broadcast crew is employed by the Flyers’ owners. Their jobs should be looked at as PR positions. They have families to support; you can’t expect them to buck bosses’ orders. Overall, I think they do a good job, keeping those factors in mind.

I’ve been pleasantly surprised by Colby Cohen’s willingness to point out individual mistakes in the studio. That’s a rarity. You’d think those who dislike the Flyers’ broadcasters for being too pro-Flyer should at least appreciate Cohen’s willingness to criticize Flyers players, but interestingly that doesn’t seem to be the case.

for all the shit i give colby, you're right he is only person to call out individuals for mistakes.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
This applies to the graphics team as well, stop showing me Robert Hagg's hit numbers.

weird its almost as if the Flyers as an organisation have done consumer behavior research in regards to their product and see what most fans associate with the Flyers Brand. A brand built on toughness, fighting , and blue collared mentality. Hits and Fights seem to correlate with that brand , but what do i or the flyers know. Clearly people here are much more in tune with the inner workings of the flyers business objectives.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, big hits make good TV.

Patrick, Sanheim and especially TK get plenty of love.

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
The Hivemind’s issue with broadcasters is not that the broadcasters have favorites who they overrate and others who they feel free to criticize. The Hivemind’s issue is that the broadcasters’ lists of Golden Boys and Whipping Boys differ from those of the Hivemind.

Example: Sanheim vs Hagg

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I have made the experience that people who tend to shout "fire the coach", "fire the manager", "fire the president", "throw out those announcers" but who are deeply in (mainstream) love with young prospects, may have never had a job with higher responsibility in their lives. Just a personal observation that is of no statistical value and not meant to offend anyone. Just something to think about.

I concur. I think there's a few posters here whose highest job here is assistant manager at MacDonalds.

No one who works for comcast is going to throw the players, coach, GM or staff under the bus. There might be chat internally and it might leak out but that's that.

Reactions: marcsson68 and JXC

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Some of you guys/gals have a legit point in there, but it's all wrapped up in sanctimonious bullshit.

weird its almost as if the Flyers as an organisation have done consumer behavior research in regards to their product and see what most fans associate with the Flyers Brand. A brand built on toughness, fighting , and blue collared mentality. Hits and Fights seem to correlate with that brand , but what do i or the flyers know. Clearly people here are much more in tune with the inner workings of the flyers business objectives.

Of course that's the case. A TV broadcast is just advertising with a pompadour. At some point, either that identification is going to have to change or they're going to end up with an unhappy fanbase because that's not how the game is going.

I'm not expecting a brand reimagination and certainly not any significant changes overnight. You can stress the positives of what works on the ice while retaining the spirit of the brand and adjust expectations accordingly. A glacial pace is fine, preferable even. You don't want to edge out your cores.

Honestly, my biggest problem with their broadcast isn't the announcers because I know they're not geared toward me. It's that it's largely the same format and segments from 1999 minus the occasional new camera angle. Freshen it up.

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
I don't disagree the announcers should be 100% genuine.
I'm not justifying it or accepting.
But that's our world.

If you're going to get upset about it, you're going to live a never ending crusade while watching sports and never be satiated.

This is not a battle that I chose to get upset over.

Knock yourself out if you think otherwise.
This is true but it does not account for the fact that there a lot of people in the world who get substantial utility out of broadcasting their self-proclaimed intellectual superiority. It’s akin to politics except politicians broadcast their moral superiority.

Politicians do it for votes. Hiveminders do it for kinship. The Narcissism is the same, though.

Reactions: magnumpi

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Having an old brand is hardly the biggest problem in the world. The issue is one cannot change an established brand without some proof points. And truly, this is where the organization and their mouthpieces are at risk of drastically alienating their market. Because, simply put, you cannot replace something with nothing. Or to tailor it a bit, you cannot successfully replace a beloved brand with something people dont want to buy. Think New Coke here - established product replaced with something "better," with that defined as "appealing to people who dont buy our product." Screw the customer!

Here the Flyers are selling a losing product that doesn't match the brand they have established. If they had a winning product, the could sell the evolution of the brand. Right now, they are selling a product with obviously inferior results (New Coke) and an experience that cannot hold a candle to the previous emotional connection (i.e., meet your "new mom"). And they are trying to do it in a fashion that is blatantly insulting to the customers - fans dont "watch tape", it's all on the players, the coach is great, etc.

So everyone criticizing the "hive mind" - aka anyone who does not subscribe to your orthodoxy and toe your line - can f*** off. Your pretensions to intellectual and ethical superiority are as hollow and flailing as the defenses of a PK that has "improved" from below average to downright ABYSMAL. Have a blessed day.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
This is true but it does not account for the fact that there a lot of people in the world who get substantial utility out of broadcasting their self-proclaimed intellectual superiority. It’s akin to politics except politicians broadcast their moral superiority.

Politicians do it for votes. Hiveminders do it for kinship. The Narcissism is the same, though.

100% accord with that statement

Reactions: JXC

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

If he wasn't so annoying looking....maybe. He needs to be jumped and throttled in the larynx.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The Hivemind’s issue with broadcasters is not that the broadcasters have favorites who they overrate and others who they feel free to criticize. The Hivemind’s issue is that the broadcasters’ lists of Golden Boys and Whipping Boys differ from those of the Hivemind.

Example: Sanheim vs Hagg

Yeah, because one player is good, exciting, and a major part of our future and the other is Hagg. It's idiocy to pump up the boring players. Awful brand management and insulting to fans who know better.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Some of you guys/gals have a legit point in there, but it's all wrapped up in sanctimonious bull****.

Of course that's the case. A TV broadcast is just advertising with a pompadour. At some point, either that identification is going to have to change or they're going to end up with an unhappy fanbase because that's not how the game is going.

I'm not expecting a brand reimagination and certainly not any significant changes overnight. You can stress the positives of what works on the ice while retaining the spirit of the brand and adjust expectations accordingly. A glacial pace is fine, preferable even. You don't want to edge out your cores.

Honestly, my biggest problem with their broadcast isn't the announcers because I know they're not geared toward me. It's that it's largely the same format and segments from 1999 minus the occasional new camera angle. Freshen it up.

if your problem isn't the broadcast, why respond to a post that was a response to criticism of the broadcast? If what i am saying doesn't apply to you then good.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Yeah, because one player is good, exciting, and a major part of our future and the other is Hagg. It's idiocy to pump up the boring players. Awful brand management and insulting to fans who know better.

you're not a majority of fans. No need to appeal to die hard fans, who will watch regardless. The appeal of any brand is to engage fans that are at the outer reaches that are directly impacted by these marketing strategies.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018

forgot to add celebrities and college professors do the same.
politicians, celebrities, and college professors - people who love to push policy that spends the money of the non wealthy productive class.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Like I said, self-proclaimed intellectual superiority.

It doesn't make one intellectually superior to recognize that Sanheim has vastly more upside than Hagg. All that requires is an ability to accept reality instead of battling against it.

Selling the home team line is one thing, the fact is these people have chosen to sell the worst possible line, pumping up slugs instead of exciting prospects.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
you're not a majority of fans. No need to appeal to die hard fans, who will watch regardless. The appeal of any brand is to engage fans that are at the outer reaches that are directly impacted by these marketing strategies.

It's an awful idea for appealing to the broad fanbase though. That's the thing. When you're hyping up poor players it just makes the entire team look like crap once those players don't ever do anything. Then you may see guys like Ghost or TK or Sanheim doing exciting things, but it isn't praised as much as Hogg running a guy into the boards while not affecting possession yet they will rip those three for errors they never rip the slugs for. They market the least marketable players, and if they wonder why overall fan excitement is down, I know where they can start. Patrick is a virtual unknown ffs, and that's nutty. Especially last year to end the season when he started showing some flashes of brilliance. They wouldn't focus on that but hey, look, Hogg has 4 hits tonight! MacDonald is amazing, only been on the ice for 3 goals against that are directly his fault!

They don't just push a home broadcast line, they push the least productive and useful one possible. It's as bad as the Redskins radio broadcast at this point.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad