Crimson's McNally two-way defenseman seeking one-way ticket to NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
So he either has to not play hockey for a year, or sign with us this summer. Good news for us I guess.

At least this part of the saga is over. Lets see now whether he wants to sign with Vancouver. We'll know by August 15th.

Incorrect based on my understanding of the NHL's collegiate rules. This IS NOT McNally's graduation year. Therefore, he's not a free agent until August 15th 2016.

Since it's going to be incorrectly cited a lot, here's the relevant section (8.6 c v) - http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/CBA2012/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf

For purposes of the above provisions, the term "graduation of his college
class" shall mean the class with which the Player is scheduled to graduate
during his final semester of attendance (as opposed to his matriculating
class (the class with which he is expected to graduate as of the date of his
original enrollment)). For purposes of clarity, a Player's graduating class
may change during his tenure in college

Last edited:

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
Good find!

Maybe a trading chip for Benning on draft day? Islanders, Rangers, Devils, and Boston are all close to home, compared to Vancouver obviously. In any case, as the article mentions with one of the other guys, McNally will have no problem finishing his degree. Harvard is very accommodating that way.

With their old teammate Killorn in the Stanley Cup finals, I'd think these guys would be itching to get on with their hockey careers.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
...stay tuned for this one!

I predict a trade.

I don't see what this solves. As far as I know, McNally doesn't have a problem with Vancouver. His issue is that he wants to finish his degree at Harvard.

If he chooses to return to Harvard and not play hockey, his NHL career is pretty much over and he has no trade value. If he chooses to go pro, he could be traded, but his value is pretty low at this point, so I don't see the point.

I think he could sign with Utica - but it would mean giving up on his Harvard dream and turning pro - if he's going to turn pro, it's probably a better option to sign with Vancouver and be assigned to Utica anyways.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I don't see what this solves. As far as I know, McNally doesn't have a problem with Vancouver. His issue is that he wants to finish his degree at Harvard.

If he chooses to return to Harvard and not play hockey, his NHL career is pretty much over and he has no trade value. If he chooses to go pro, he could be traded, but his value is pretty low at this point, so I don't see the point.

I think he could sign with Utica - but it would mean giving up on his Harvard dream and turning pro - if he's going to turn pro, it's probably a better option to sign with Vancouver and be assigned to Utica anyways.

Except he could do what many other players do, and take summer classes and graduate in a year or so. Hell Shaq did this, let alone many NHL players.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
something tells me its the college athlete lifestyle McNally likes

Having lived in the US for 12 years, the college experience is such a big cultural draw and at a top tier Ivy League school no less. The reality is that, from a career perspective, an Ivy League or branded school undergrad degree is "nice" but nowhere near as impressive or important as a graduate degree. McNally is majoring in "Government Studies" - that's not going to really stand out on your CV in the private sector. If his non-hockey career ambition is in the public sector, what is far more important than a Harvard undergrad degree is a well placed internship. The best internships and resume building jobs usually come from family or college connections - is his family well connected? Is someone who was suspended for a year for cheating going to have the referrals and academic connections he will need?

I wouldn't know what to advise McNally - if he projected to be a sure fire NHL regular, I would say turn pro now because even a short NHL career will eclipse anything a degree in Government Studies can promise and wouldn't preclude a post NHL career. But if his hockey career looks more like 3 or 4 years in the AHL with the spot call up duty in the NHL, maybe he is better served to finish his degree and build a CV through internships, community work, peace corp, NGOs etc.

But if he's doing it just for the college experience, he should realize that his peers (freshman class) have all graduated. He's had his college experience; it's time to grow up. Returning for his final year at Harvard is a hard stop for his hockey career. Turning pro and playing in the AHL may not be the most direct route to a public sector career, but it's not a dead end.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Would suck if he just decided to not play hockey for a year and finish his degree. :/

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
Would suck if he just decided to not play hockey for a year and finish his degree. :/

For a year? If he doesn't turn pro this year, you can all but kiss his hockey career good bye. Hockey doesn't wait for anyone, it will keep on going. What I don't understand is, if you have the opportunity to play a game that you're good at, why wouldn't you?

You can finish a degree at any point in your life. Hell you could go back and start school again when your 85 years old, but you have ONE shot at hockey.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I had a good friend in high school that won a college track scholarship to one of these kinds of fancy american colleges. Let's just say it was 4 years of girls, special treatment and more girls.

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
May 31, 2006
The reality is that, from a career perspective, an Ivy League or branded school undergrad degree is "nice" but nowhere near as impressive or important as a graduate degree. McNally is majoring in "Government Studies" - that's not going to really stand out on your CV in the private sector.

That's not necessarily true. Top tier investment banks and consulting firms recruit heavily from Ivy League schools, but your major isn't super important as long as you get good grades. Plus a government studies degree probably requires you to take a lot of economics courses.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
One way or another the McNally saga will finally be over....if he goes back to school and plays rec league hockey for a year, then his pro career is pretty much gonzo.....or he could wait until after Aug. 15th to see what kind of offers he gets as a UFA....either way, doubt we ever see him in 'Nucks uni.:(

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
That's not necessarily true. Top tier investment banks and consulting firms recruit heavily from Ivy League schools, but your major isn't super important as long as you get good grades. Plus a government studies degree probably requires you to take a lot of economics courses.

You're right about all that. As an elite Harvard athlete with specific awards, and drafted by an NHL team, McNally has a leg up in the business world already. The undergraduate degree alone carries major weight in the States, as I know personally. Even in Canada, in a field totally different from my training, the doors of a Canadian government entity swung open for the job of my dreams . . . and they asked me; I didn't ask them. I had a Harvard MA as well as BA, but both were in an unrealted field. So it was my school background itself, plus a track record, that overcame the fact I was an American citizen in a very different field. Mind you, it was a difficult and even dangerous position, to which few aspire and where survival isn't assured, so maybe they thought I was just stupid enough to sign on. Anyway, I'm glad I was that obtuse. A proud Canadian now, and dumb like a fox.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Having lived in the US for 12 years, the college experience is such a big cultural draw and at a top tier Ivy League school no less. The reality is that, from a career perspective, an Ivy League or branded school undergrad degree is "nice" but nowhere near as impressive or important as a graduate degree. McNally is majoring in "Government Studies" - that's not going to really stand out on your CV in the private sector. If his non-hockey career ambition is in the public sector, what is far more important than a Harvard undergrad degree is a well placed internship. The best internships and resume building jobs usually come from family or college connections - is his family well connected? Is someone who was suspended for a year for cheating going to have the referrals and academic connections he will need?

I wouldn't know what to advise McNally - if he projected to be a sure fire NHL regular, I would say turn pro now because even a short NHL career will eclipse anything a degree in Government Studies can promise and wouldn't preclude a post NHL career. But if his hockey career looks more like 3 or 4 years in the AHL with the spot call up duty in the NHL, maybe he is better served to finish his degree and build a CV through internships, community work, peace corp, NGOs etc.

But if he's doing it just for the college experience, he should realize that his peers (freshman class) have all graduated. He's had his college experience; it's time to grow up. Returning for his final year at Harvard is a hard stop for his hockey career. Turning pro and playing in the AHL may not be the most direct route to a public sector career, but it's not a dead end.

His dad is in the FBI, I'm sure he has connections to the public sector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad