Crimson's McNally two-way defenseman seeking one-way ticket to NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
In general many NHLers past and present would disagree with you on finishing anytime. Many specifically finish their degrees before turning pro.

That said the second part of your statement is correct. He'll be 24 next summer and by camp he won't really have played hockey for 16 months. He won't be receiving anything more than tryout offers if this is his plan and if he isn't head and shoulders better than guys 3, 4, 5 even 6 years younger than him he won't be getting a contract.

You sure about that?

I'd suggest you take a quick browse of the recent NCAA players that have turned pro. The vast majority leave school early.

Harvard also honours scholarships even if you leave for a long period, if I'm not mistaken.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
It's not like it's all that hard to finish up a 4th year working around a hockey schedule. Gaudreau is spending the next 2-3 summers at Boston College to finish his degree; Schneider did the same during his AHL offseasons; Lee Sweatt picked up a Master's Degree while playing pro hockey.

It's hard to see McNally having much of a career if he takes another year off of hockey.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
There's, more to life than hockey if McNally decides to get his Harvard degree....maybe he'd make the NHL if he turned pro, and maybe he wouldn't.....Lee Sweatt figured this out....was an all-star d-man in Finland...signed a 'Nucks deal and got the chance to play with his brother Bill in the AHL with the Chicago Wolves.....then scored his one NHL goal with 'Nucks but wasn't qualified and left to sign with the Sens as UFA...Rather than spend another long AHL season riding the buses he hung 'em up to go into business..wise move.:nod:

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
It's not like it's all that hard to finish up a 4th year working around a hockey schedule. Gaudreau is spending the next 2-3 summers at Boston College to finish his degree; Schneider did the same during his AHL offseasons; Lee Sweatt picked up a Master's Degree while playing pro hockey.

It's hard to see McNally having much of a career if he takes another year off of hockey.

Exactly!

There's, more to life than hockey if McNally decides to get his Harvard degree....maybe he'd make the NHL if he turned pro, and maybe he wouldn't.....Lee Sweatt figured this out....was an all-star d-man in Finland...signed a 'Nucks deal and got the chance to play with his brother Bill in the AHL with the Chicago Wolves.....then scored his one NHL goal with 'Nucks but wasn't qualified and left to sign with the Sens as UFA...Rather than spend another long AHL season riding the buses he hung 'em up to go into business..wise move.:nod:

There is more to life than hockey, of course, but you can come way father ahead by going pro.between your signing bonus, and the chance at making it and making millions, and still have a Harvard degree? There really is no reason to not go.

The Canucks didn't even give Sanguinetti a chance probably because he was 27, and he was one of the best dman in the AHL, McNally will be 25 when he leaves, with a long way to go. How many teams will take a chance on a guy who has missed has only played a handful of games in 3 years?

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Article says Benning's undecided on McNally and seems to believe McNally would indeed be an UFA on August 15

Canucks general manager Jim Benning said this week he did not want to comment on McNally, but acknowledged the team has a decision to make.

“We have talked about it, but we haven’t decided what direction we are going to go in yet,” Benning said. “That’s why I really don’t want to comment on it. I want to talk to the agent next week. We are undecided on him right now.”

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/...ing+their+options+Patrick/11066471/story.html

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Benning has gifted contracts and roster spots to young players that absolutely do not deserve it. What the hell does he have to decide with McNally?

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Benning has gifted contracts and roster spots to young players that absolutely do not deserve it. What the hell does he have to decide with McNally?

He might be too smart, which wouldn't fit in with the team Benning wants to build. :sarcasm:

Seriously though, I have no idea. The article seems to suggest that his defensive play is lacking.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
I find it humorous to see all the guys jumping all over Benning for everything...

However, I think it really is funny that 'he's undecided on which way to go with McNally', after signing Stewart.

Memo to Jim: I think Mr McNally is just as 'undecided which way to go' .

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
Ziemer doesn't know what he's talking about

McNally might have had defensive lapses years ago, but currently he's a #1 d-man that plays all situations

He is most definitely not a defensive liability

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I doubt any of Benning's doubts are related to McNally's on-ice ability. Probably more about whether McNally has the "want" to be a professional.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Feb 5, 2006
Calgary
Ziemer doesn't know what he's talking about

McNally might have had defensive lapses years ago, but currently he's a #1 d-man that plays all situations

He is most definitely not a defensive liability

Exactly. I was pretty surprised to see that when all the other articles this year seemed to indicate otherwise. This guy has the potential to be a solid top-4 dman. Hope he gets signed.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
Just looked at the final exam schedule and the Harvard finals have been over for about a week now.
A freshman Crimson reporter has been interviewing me by phone on an unrelated matter, and it just
occurred to me now that she owes me a favour. The deadline is tonight for the article she's writing, but then
I'll call in the chips and try to sic her on the McNally / NCAA "pardon" issue.

I've been travelling, so maybe something's come out that I've missed. Anyway, I'll arrive in Cambridge three evenings from now.

In any event, with exams well over, now would be the time for the McNally camp to make a decision unless the NCAA ruling is still pending.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
whoever that has Twitter

go tweet @JoshSeguin24

He covers the ECAC for college hockey news.

He has to have some connections to find out what's going on with McNally

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
Tonight I dined and danced the night away inside the rink where McNally plays hockey when there's
ice in it. I felt pretty weird in there, thinking about McNally and hockey with a band, a dance floor, and
a gazillion big round tables in place. I talked with a Harvard track athlete who has a contact on the team,
Brayden Jaw. She emailed him and he said McNally wants to play another year of college hockey while
finishing his degree . . . but that the NCAA ruling hasn't come down yet, although it was expected long since.

In other words, I found out nothing. Nice try, but . . . just the same situation as before. The reunion has been
going on since Sunday, and tomorrow is Commencement. I'll be in an alumni procession and sit with my class in the Yard,
which is a massive sea of white folding chairs. Today during the class photo shoot, a classmate toppled over right in front of me
in the blazing sun and brutal humidity. I caught his head with the top of my runner before it hit the granite of the library steps.
We called 911, and my classmate doctors swarmed around him. Don't know if he's Ok or not. Sorry I couldn't get definitive answers about McNally.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Tonight I dined and danced the night away inside the rink where McNally plays hockey when there's
ice in it. I felt pretty weird in there, thinking about McNally and hockey with a band, a dance floor, and
a gazillion big round tables in place. I talked with a Harvard track athlete who has a contact on the team,
Brayden Jaw. She emailed him and he said McNally wants to play another year of college hockey while
finishing his degree . . . but that the NCAA ruling hasn't come down yet, although it was expected long since.

In other words, I found out nothing. Nice try, but . . . just the same situation as before. The reunion has been
going on since Sunday, and tomorrow is Commencement. I'll be in an alumni procession and sit with my class in the Yard,
which is a massive sea of white folding chairs. Today during the class photo shoot, a classmate toppled over right in front of me
in the blazing sun and brutal humidity. I caught his head with the top of my runner before it hit the granite of the library steps.
We called 911, and my classmate doctors swarmed around him. Don't know if he's Ok or not. Sorry I couldn't get definitive answers about McNally.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
sorry guys, i didnt really get any info, maybe saved someones life, sorry i couldnt be of more value or use as a human being. oh well

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA

Thanks for the efforts, either way.
Good toe save as well.

Hope you have a great time out there.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
You sure about that?

I'd suggest you take a quick browse of the recent NCAA players that have turned pro. The vast majority leave school early.

Harvard also honours scholarships even if you leave for a long period, if I'm not mistaken.

Yes. Several players do finish there degrees before turning pro. I likely should have restricted it to pros though. The more highly touted guys likely not but not many of them are actually highly touted. Plenty of guys have 4 years of college behind them before turning pro. They could theoretically have finished degrees (even if they didn't but that wasn't because they weren't there long enough).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad