Crimson's McNally two-way defenseman seeking one-way ticket to NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
garrison didnt start in the ahl until he was 24

bieksa didnt make the nhl until 25

i dunno. if the talents there, it's always there. if he's an nhler if he started at 22, he's an nhler if he starts at 26, hes just in the nhl for less time.

****, the canucks picked him knowing he wouldn't be pro until 24

So 1? KB played pro before then. Also neither took two seperate years away from hockey.

You don't just need the talent, but teams have to be willing to give you a shot when they will have younger guys around who may have just as much potential. I think we saw it here with Sangs, vs Clendening.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
So 1? KB played pro before then. Also neither took two seperate years away from hockey.

You don't just need the talent, but teams have to be willing to give you a shot when they will have younger guys around who may have just as much potential. I think we saw it here with Sangs, vs Clendening.

sanguinetti has a track record in pro. thats not a fair comparison either.

there aren't any comparisons. as a guy who loves comparisons and loves looking at odds, there isn't any information for that. either you believe his ability is irreparably harmed or you dont. i dont think that's the case

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
the important thing to note is that you can't really compare mcnally to people that tried to make the nhl starting at 20 because of course most of the ones that didn't make it by 25 failed. he'd have to be compared to a very small set of players, most of whom we probably don't even know because they didn't make it, lol

odds are always against him but i dont think its as obvious as saying "if he cant make the ahl by x he's toast" because he hasn't applied

he is going to be battling against guys who are younger, and thus have more time to reach their prime. Team investment wise, it would be smarter to go for younger playes. That is why the number is so few on guys starting the pros at 25.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
sanguinetti has a track record in pro. thats not a fair comparison either.

there aren't any comparisons. as a guy who loves comparisons and loves looking at odds, there isn't any information for that. either you believe his ability is irreparably harmed or you dont. i dont think that's the case

Here is may outlook on in. In a trade does a player have more value locked up for a few years or becoming a UFA? Its locked up because you know you have time with that player.

Same thing here. McNally only has so much time before he will be in what should be his hockey prime, the clock is ticking. Most teams would probably rightly or wrongly want more time with a prospect to turn them into somehting.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Here is may outlook on in. In a trade does a player have more value locked up for a few years or becoming a UFA? Its locked up because you know you have time with that player.

Same thing here. McNally only has so much time before he will be in what should be his hockey prime, the clock is ticking. Most teams would probably rightly or wrongly want more time with a prospect to turn them into somehting.

thank **** for him that hes a defenceman. i think a team will give him a shot if he doesnt sign with the canucks

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
the important thing to note is that you can't really compare mcnally to people that tried to make the nhl starting at 20 because of course most of the ones that didn't make it by 25 failed. he'd have to be compared to a very small set of players, most of whom we probably don't even know because they didn't make it, lol

odds are always against him but i dont think its as obvious as saying "if he cant make the ahl by x he's toast" because he hasn't applied

Yeah, agreed there is a very small subset of these guys. Though you wonder if such a small sample might be problematic in of itself too due to how small it is, but I'm open to seeing who else might fit under this. I certainly hope there's more of a track record for comparison of course.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
thank **** for him that hes a defenceman. i think a team will give him a shot if he doesnt sign with the canucks

It really depends on if and when he wants to turn pro. If he wants to turn pro this summer, he will draw some interest. If he doesnt, there might be 0 interest in him the next summer.

The clock on him is ticking and he really needs to be in the AHL sooner rather than later if he wants to be a NHL Dman.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
It really depends on if and when he wants to turn pro. If he wants to turn pro this summer, he will draw some interest. If he doesnt, there might be 0 interest in him the next summer.

The clock on him is ticking and he really needs to be in the AHL sooner rather than later if he wants to be a NHL Dman.

Here's the latest from the very helpful Harvard sophomore whose room McNally is in theory taking over for the fall semester:

"I will let you know whatever we hear, but I am glad I was able to help. I will also say that picking a room is somewhat of a formality, and you can withdraw from your room until August 1, I believe. It's conceivable that Pat could not receive another year of NCAA eligibility and choose to join the Canucks later. I would not lose all hope yet. I'll keep you posted though as I hear. I hope your reunion goes well."

So it's not yet set in stone, so far as anyone can reasonably know. Of course I'll pass along whatever else our friend can dig up on McNally's situation.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Here's the latest from the very helpful Harvard sophomore whose room McNally is in theory taking over for the fall semester:

"I will let you know whatever we hear, but I am glad I was able to help. I will also say that picking a room is somewhat of a formality, and you can withdraw from your room until August 1, I believe. It's conceivable that Pat could not receive another year of NCAA eligibility and choose to join the Canucks later. I would not lose all hope yet. I'll keep you posted though as I hear. I hope your reunion goes well."

So it's not yet set in stone, so far as anyone can reasonably know. Of course I'll pass along whatever else our friend can dig up on McNally's situation.

I think we are going to run into a contract crunch and I could see the Canucks being happy to kick this one down the road one more year and see if they can sign him prior to him getting his UFA status.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
With Subban signed, my thoughts turn to McNally. I predict that within the week we will learn that he is returning for another year at Harvard, despite being ruled ineligible to continue with NCAA hockey, and that it will be all but confirmed that the Canucks are not in his plans.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
With Subban signed, my thoughts turn to McNally. I predict that within the week we will learn that he is returning for another year at Harvard, despite being ruled ineligible to continue with NCAA hockey, and that it will be all but confirmed that the Canucks are not in his plans.
Why does him going back to finish his degree mean he won't sign with us after he graduates? His plan was always to get a degree before signing an NHL contact.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Good on him for finishing whatever degree he is working on right now. A NHL career is never a sure thing and even if it was, you still want something to fall back on once your playing days are done. My only concern is where will he play next year. I don't want to see him take a year off from hockey.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Was he ruled ineligible...is this old news? Link....

As far as I know, there's been nothing official, but, as I said, I'm predicting that we'll have official news within the week, and it won't be good.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
You can always go back to school no matter what age you are. Finishing his last year could be done now, 5 years, 10 years or 15 years from now, but hockey comes and goes real fast. He either chooses hockey and finishes his degree later, or gives up hockey and continues with education.

If you take a year off hockey you can pretty much kiss it good bye. Trying to start your career back up in hopes of a NHL team signing you is very wishful thinking.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
As far as I know, there's been nothing official, but, as I said, I'm predicting that we'll have official news within the week, and it won't be good.

Well, he loses his deposit on his dorm if he leaves after Aug 1st....hahahaha I can't believe we know that!

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
I also hope 701's reunion goes well.

I'll be there Sunday to Friday, starting the 24th. Only 10 days to go. I'll be staying in one of the
Harvard houses, but probably not McNally's one. I'll try to find out whatever I can about McNally,
but I don't think it'll be very much. Anyway, we've got Hutton and Subban now, and especially Stewart,
so we're set for life :sarcasm:

JonnyCash

Sep 28, 2008
Vancouver
If he's not going to be playing ncaa next year can he sign a contract now? So that he can come to training camp? Would his contract slide if he's not playing anything at all?

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
If he's not going to be playing ncaa next year can he sign a contract now? So that he can come to training camp? Would his contract slide if he's not playing anything at all?

IF he's ineligible for NCAA then they sign him or lose him by August 15th as far as I understand.

Edit: I think I'm wrong. It's already been discussed in this thread I think. But it's tied to his graduating class.....is that this year or next because of his suspension? I think next but someone else might know better. In any case, if he is ineligible for NCAA, I don't think there is any reason why he can't sign a contract and come to camp.....but I've been wrong before....

Last edited:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
You can always go back to school no matter what age you are. Finishing his last year could be done now, 5 years, 10 years or 15 years from now, but hockey comes and goes real fast. He either chooses hockey and finishes his degree later, or gives up hockey and continues with education.

If you take a year off hockey you can pretty much kiss it good bye. Trying to start your career back up in hopes of a NHL team signing you is very wishful thinking.

In general many NHLers past and present would disagree with you on finishing anytime. Many specifically finish their degrees before turning pro.

That said the second part of your statement is correct. He'll be 24 next summer and by camp he won't really have played hockey for 16 months. He won't be receiving anything more than tryout offers if this is his plan and if he isn't head and shoulders better than guys 3, 4, 5 even 6 years younger than him he won't be getting a contract.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
With Subban signed, my thoughts turn to McNally. I predict that within the week we will learn that he is returning for another year at Harvard, despite being ruled ineligible to continue weith NCAA hockey, and that it will be all but confirmed that the Canucks are not in his plans.

All right, I'm revising my prediction (my euphemism for being wrong). I now expect that he'll turn pro when ruled ineligible before the week is out. With the Canucks?

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
In general many NHLers past and present would disagree with you on finishing anytime. Many specifically finish their degrees before turning pro.

That said the second part of your statement is correct. He'll be 24 next summer and by camp he won't really have played hockey for 16 months. He won't be receiving anything more than tryout offers if this is his plan and if he isn't head and shoulders better than guys 3, 4, 5 even 6 years younger than him he won't be getting a contract.

In general many NHL'ers stay 4 years in school and finish their degree opposed to signing in the NHL and finishing later? News to me, sure seems like MOST NHL players sign their ELC and start playing pro. But I don't have the stats to argue either side.

Anyways, my point still stands. You can go to school at any single point in your life, especially to finish 1 year of school. But the NHL will pass you by like a fart in the breeze. If hockey is what McNally wants school can wait.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
you guys do realize that people from rich azz families like McNally can go back to school whenever he wants?

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
yeah no ****. he's sticking it out because his parents instilled in him a stupid outdated mode of thinking. he could finish his education whenever he damn well pleases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad