Crimson's McNally two-way defenseman seeking one-way ticket to NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
One way or another the McNally saga will finally be over....if he goes back to school and plays rec league hockey for a year, then his pro career is pretty much gonzo.....or he could wait until after Aug. 15th to see what kind of offers he gets as a UFA....either way, doubt we ever see him in 'Nucks uni.:(

See StrictlyCommercial above, according to the CBA McNally won't be a UFA until August 2016 since that will be his graduating class with his missed year. So it's sign with the Canucks or give up on hockey more or less (with the long-shot hope of taking a year off and then coming back and hoping for a UFA offer).

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
See StrictlyCommercial above, according to the CBA McNally won't be a UFA until August 2016 since that will be his graduating class with his missed year. So it's sign with the Canucks or give up on hockey more or less (with the long-shot hope of taking a year off and then coming back and hoping for a UFA offer).

Unless a GM really likes him, there is no reason to give him a UFA offer in 2016 after missing a year of hockey. He likely won't even get any AHL contract. If he's lucky he might get a tryout in Europe to resume his hockey career then hope he stands out to draw any NHL interest.

Basically his options now are to sign with 'nucks (assuming Benning wants to offer him a contract, that isn't even a surething) or he pretty much gives up any NHL dream (he'll be a long shot with an insanely tough road competing more or less against players 4 younger than him and he needs to clearly out play them to have any chance of getting a roster spot).

The other thing to consider is Utica appears to be pretty deep so even if he signs with us, he might not even play in the AHL next year. Thats something that has to be in the back of his mind. Does he want to delay his degree and possibly play in the ECHL?

It does depend on who we sign for Utica next season but you have to assume we'll bring in at least 1 vet Dman to play in Utica if not more... then you add in Subban and Hutton who are both likely ahead of McNally on the depth chart. Pedan likely will spend all year in Utica as well and you would hope we can bring back Biega. Andersson might or might not stay but if he stays, he's without a doubt also ahead of McNally on the depth chart. Blain is also under contract and McEneny will be competing for playing time too. I believe Cederholm would be there next season too.

Basically lots of competition...

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Was he still on scholarship?
If he was...
It probably gets rescinded now...
And he is on the hook for last year...
Out of his own pocket.
That might give him extra incentive to sign.

If he was not...
Then it really depends on rather a great education...
Or a NHL career...
Is more important to him...
Since he could afford the tuition.
As other have said...
If he stays one more year...
His NHL dream would be that much harder to obtain.
Sure...
He would probably get a look in Europe...
But it is not certain he could get another crack at the NHL...
Even if he plays well there.

I think his rights either gets traded...
Or he signs.
At this point...
His options are rather limited...
If he wants a shot at the big leagues.
Plus...
He can always finish school later.
It is not often that one gets to play at the highest level.

Jabba The Hutton

Nucks STH
Jul 28, 2009
UBC
@NEWS1130Sports: MT @BradZiemer #Canucks will not sign D-man Patrick McNally, who just finished at Harvard. He was a 4th-rnd pick in 2010.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
If im following this correctly, the Canucks hold his rights until next summer so this means that they have decided not to offer him a contract.

Is there a message board where I can freely post my feelings about Jim Benning? I do not like the decisions that management is taking.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
I'm kind of more upset about this than any other decision Benning had made so far.

I can only imagine that it's because McNally didn't want to sign with Van.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
@NEWS1130Sports: MT @BradZiemer #Canucks will not sign D-man Patrick McNally, who just finished at Harvard. He was a 4th-rnd pick in 2010.

Well...
There is that too.
I forgot to account the fact that the Canucks may not even want to sign him...
Into my analysis.
:laugh:

Benning never ceases to amaze me.
:thumbu:

If im following this correctly, the Canucks hold his rights until next summer so this means that they have decided not to offer him a contract.

Is there a message board where I can freely post my feelings about Jim Benning? I do not like the decisions that management is taking.

There is a Benning thread.

One must be careful though.
Benning has his fair share of supporters...
So the topic must be tread with caution.

Last edited:

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver

This tweet seems to imply Benning wasn't interested in offering him a contract and that he's set to be UFA on Aug 15 of this year.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

I would understand more if he didn't want to sign with us. That I could get my head around, but when we start signing prospects like Stewart this decision just doesn't make any sense.

I say rant on!

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
This tweet seems to imply Benning wasn't interested in offering him a contract and that he's set to be UFA on Aug 15 of this year.

Based on the language of the CBA...
I would think StrictlyCommercial was correct.
Perhaps the NHL ruled that McNally is a UFA this year.

KDizzle

Aug 25, 2005
Bay Area

And apparently also behind Cederholm, Stewart, and Sautner...

Granted McNally is 3, 3 and 2 years older than them, respectively, but he's still worth a flier, especially if he's a free agent this year.

If he were to be a free agent next year I can see waiting to see how he does in Europe/AHL/wherever to tender an offer, since we retain his rights.

In any case, it's just piss poor asset management.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Don't see how he's a free agent August 15th if the CBA is actually enforced. I'm kind of meh on the decision. Prior to this year I wouldn't have touched McNally with a 10 foot pole, but he had a solid year this year and showed some solid offensive promise.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Don't see how he's a free agent August 15th if the CBA is actually enforced. I'm kind of meh on the decision. Prior to this year I wouldn't have touched McNally with a 10 foot pole, but he had a solid year this year and showed some solid offensive promise.

The owner probably really dislike Gillis...
And Benning does the dark lord's bidding.

That is my own speculation...
Of course.
Benning could just really trust his eye for talent.

In honour of Dusty Rhodes...
I think we will all know what hard times is.
:help:

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006

Maybe the Canucks and therefore Ziemer are getting their CBA counseling from the man behind the O'Rielly offer sheet fiasco.

Extremely disappointing that the Canucks aren't interested in McNally.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Great move,our defense can't move the puck to save it's life and we go out and draft and sign zero upside guys like Cedarholm and Stewart and then don't have room in our system to offer a contract to arguably the most talented offensive D-man in the system.Brilliant.
McNally only has about 100x the upside of those guys,plus has NHL size,unlike Subban,and we let him go as a UFA.
FFS,the guy has more potential than anyone that will be available where we pick in the first round unless one of the Russians falls to us.Just a stupid decision.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
McNally may not even turn pro as he may finish school. If so, then he will have missed two years of development and it would seem hockey is not his focus.

I wouldn't judge the decision yet.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Wait... was Weisbrod part of that?

From many accounts he was the architect, yes.

McNally may not even turn pro as he may finish school. If so, then he will have missed two years of development and it would seem hockey is not his focus.

I wouldn't judge the decision yet.

Even if this is the case, and it's a fair enough assumption, if McNally is focused on hockey and looking to play in the NHL he would be a hundred times more worth a contract slot than Stewart or even Cederholm.

Yet another case where it seems the Canucks' primary judgement of a player is how much "he wants it." Sigh.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
Can't wait for the Benning haters on this one. Considering the guy didn't want to pursue hockey but his education instead tells you how much he's into the game :help:

Literally, for all we know it could be McNally turning the Canucks down. Benning then would respond with the fact that we already have 2 prospects ahead of him, which would be true.

Whatever the case may be, it's not like McNally's a A1 prospect. He's been injured most of his career, getting old for a guy who hasn't turned pro yet, gets caught cheating on his exams, and has shown he has more interest outside of hockey. So let's just TRY to temper our reactions.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
If McNally wanted to sign and Benning simply chooses not to the decision is indefensible IMO. Everything else he's done you could argue there's a reasonable thought process. Here, it would just be misevaluation of demonstrated talent. This is a player who dominated at the college level and has every projectable tool you'd want in a defenseman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad