credit where credit is due

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Patrik Berglund scored 22 goals from Dec. 15 to April 9.

And he also wasn't coming back from surgery in that stretch. I have a very hard time believing that he'll pick up his career-best pace immediately after coming off a pretty major surgery. He has a history of limited production when he returns from shoulder injuries, as do most players in the first few months after a repaired shoulder.

He had 10 goals in 42 games when he returned from this same surgery in 2015 (but on the other shoulder). The narrative at that time and during his 1 goal through December 15 this past year was that it takes time to fully recover from that type of surgery.

I'd be absolutely shocked if he puts up 20 goals in half a season immediately coming off surgery to repair a dislocated shoulder. Especially since the left shoulder (the one most recently repaired) is more important than the right shoulder for a left handed shot.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I think I'm getting crap just a little too often from a couple people here, and I assumed this was more of the same. Its mainly just 2 or 3 that keep tweaking me, but I guess I've gotten defensive. My apologies.

My original comment does not reflect a strong opinion that I hold, and chances are you'd probably persuade me to change my mind on a couple players if we hashed it out. I simply feel that Berglund is worth his salary, and that if he is a real 20 goal scorer that's a pretty attractive deal for a dependable 3rd line guy. Some of those guys on the list would cost the Blues another similarly priced player, adn

I think the main issue here is: do you view Berglund as a legit 20 goal scorer going forward, or was this past year an anomaly? I think with his shoulder repair (the first one) there is reason to think that he may have found something he'd lost when the joint was loose. The lack of assists is concerning, though. But I could see how someone would dismiss the surgery as not having a big impact, and that it was a more flukey 23 goal campaign.

Its a shame he had to have his other shoulder repaired, since this year he almost certainly won't show us the same level of play. Next season, with luck, he'll be back to a fully rehabbed guy.

I know we disagree fairly often, but if you consider me one of those people, I'd like to apologize. I don't intend my posts to be confrontational, but I often post on this forum from work when I have a fairly limited amount of time to reply.

I think you're a great poster here and I never intend on giving you crap even when I disagree with your opinion.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
And he also wasn't coming back from surgery in that stretch. I have a very hard time believing that he'll pick up his career-best pace immediately after coming off a pretty major surgery. He has a history of limited production when he returns from shoulder injuries, as do most players in the first few months after a repaired shoulder.

He had 10 goals in 42 games when he returned from this same surgery in 2015 (but on the other shoulder). The narrative at that time and during his 1 goal through December 15 this past year was that it takes time to fully recover from that type of surgery.

I'd be absolutely shocked if he puts up 20 goals in half a season immediately coming off surgery to repair a dislocated shoulder. Especially since the left shoulder (the one most recently repaired) is more important than the right shoulder for a left handed shot.

I'd factor a year after he returns to work his way back to normal production. It is what it is.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
thanks again army for another great offseason of good moves. lets hope the blues punch through for another deep run this spring!

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Yeah Doug put every other GM to shame this off season. And I love that you bumped this thread because it ties in to the Schenn trade last year at the draft where he stole the headlines. Still can't believe it that in consecutive off seasons he's managed to take us from weak center depth and light on quality wingers to a loaded group of skaters. The reasonable FA work, the absolute steal of ROR....dude has out GM'ed everybody this year. Even with Tavares being the obvious big headline Doug has the hockey world taking notice and talking about his team. Christ even Leaf fans are talking about the Blues. And hilariously he isn't even listed on the "Best GM #3" poll on that board.(wtf? REALLY? REALLY??????)

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Yeah Doug put every other GM to shame this off season. And I love that you bumped this thread because it ties in to the Schenn trade last year at the draft where he stole the headlines. Still can't believe it that in consecutive off seasons he's managed to take us from weak center depth and light on quality wingers to a loaded group of skaters. The reasonable FA work, the absolute steal of ROR....dude has out GM'ed everybody this year. Even with Tavares being the obvious big headline Doug has the hockey world taking notice and talking about his team. Christ even Leaf fans are talking about the Blues. And hilariously he isn't even listed on the "Best GM #3" poll on that board.(wtf? REALLY? REALLY??????)

is he in your top-3 list?

he very well should be an option for the top-10, but he's clearly not in the top-3 so it's not some tremendous slight unless he isn't added very soon in the polling.

Last edited:

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
is he in your top-3 list?

he very well should be an option for the top-10, but he's clearly not in the top-3 so it's not some tremendous slight unless he isn't added very soon in the polling.

The criteria for best GM is so loosely and arbitrarily defined depending on the poster that I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that he shouldn't be an option, especially given how many clearly inferior options were listed on the poll. I urge you to take a look at that poll to see what I'm talking about.

Given that he's pulled off 2 trades for top 6 centers while getting out from under contracts deemed to be undesirable, signed reasonable deals for new players and still managed to recoup other picks he's traded...yes. Yes I think I can make a pretty good ****ing case he's a top 5 GM in this league. At the very least he should be on the poll ahead of most of the guys listed. Hmm Chevy, yeah he did a great job sitting on his hands collecting high picks. Dubas, sure sure why not have the guy who lucked into Tavares wanting to go home. Pffft. You see what I mean? Even the GM's with Cup wins inherited their key guys so is that really all that impressive?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad