Proposal: Creative ways to shed Loui Eriksson contract

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
If he was worth a long-term deal, there’s no problem. It was so long-term the Canucks deserve to be still paying it.
That is just ad hock opinion though. The rules were changed after. Lots of teams signed these deals. It's not as though anyone was saying anything at the time.

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
Loui ani't goin' nowhwere. What GM in his right mind would take on a $6-million #13 forward? It would be an embarrassment to any GM to see him sitting in the press box, and it's cancer in the dressing room when the worst, laziest player on the team in making one of the highest salaries. Short of throwing in Petey or Hughes, I can't imagine anything being enough of an incentive for this garbage contract to end all garbage contracts.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Would you do a different deal if the prospect was Hoglander/Juolevi?

I agree with T. Scott that trading Podkolzin should not be on the table, but your offer of 2 prospects and a 2nd round pick coming back is pretty damn tempting. We gain 3 assets while dumping 1 top prospect and a 6m dead weight contract...

Maybe something like Eriksson, Juolevi, and 2021 1st for Kupari?

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
I dont see why we just let it run out.

Dominated the playoffs with 20 year olds just bide our time.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Maybe something like Eriksson, Juolevi, and 2021 1st for Kupari?
If we were going to give up a 1st or podkolzin to get rid of Eriksson, we would have done so before we lost all of our UFAs...

I would dangle a prospect like Juolevi/Rathbone or even Hoglander to get rid of Eriksson. If we retain a little on Eriksson, it could work.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
That is just ad hock opinion though. The rules were changed after. Lots of teams signed these deals. It's not as though anyone was saying anything at the time.
If the Canucks planned to honor the entirety of the Contract there’s nothing wrong with it. If, however, they benefitted from short-term Cap Hit suppression by overtly counting on neither party (Team/Player) honoring the Intent of the Contract, guess who’s going to lose in the eyes of the League. I can assure you Luongo himself is not concerned with how things played out, nor should he be. Try to slip a fast one past the League, Get Burned. It’s not a hard concept.

And contrary to your assertion, not many teams signed these types of contracts and not many players have retired to avoid the consequences. You can cite isolated incidents but it’s not nearly as widespread as you’d have people believe.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
If the Canucks planned to honor the entirety of the Contract there’s nothing wrong with it. If, however, they benefitted from short-term Cap Hit suppression by overtly counting on neither party (Team/Player) honoring the Intent of the Contract, guess who’s going to lose in the eyes of the League. I can assure you Luongo himself is not concerned with how things played out, nor should he be. Try to slip a fast one past the League, Get Burned. It’s not a hard concept.

And contrary to your assertion, not many teams signed these types of contracts and not many players have retired to avoid the consequences. You can cite isolated incidents but it’s not nearly as widespread as you’d have people believe.
Well ya they were isolated gambles (monetarily) for the teams the signed them. Rick Dipietro was a fine example of it failing but nevertheless the rules said nothing of cap recapture, these were put in years after these types of deals were signed.

I can assure you teams didn't avoid signing these deals because they though the league might decide it wasn't fair yrs later, they didn't sign them because they were significantly risky, huge layout contracts that required a player who you could at least project might play 10 yrs at that level.

Tell me about how other teams have been burned by this, or show me evidence that the league advised teams not to sign these deals when the Lu deal was signed and I would at least take your point but I don't think either of those things happened.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Well ya they were isolated gambles (monetarily) for the teams the signed them. Rick Dipietro was a fine example of it failing but nevertheless the rules said nothing of cap recapture, these were put in years after these types of deals were signed.

I can assure you teams didn't avoid signing these deals because they though the league might decide it wasn't fair yrs later, they didn't sign them because they were significantly risky, huge layout contracts that required a player who you could at least project might play 10 yrs at that level.

Tell me about how other teams have been burned by this, or show me evidence that the league advised teams not to sign these deals when the Lu deal was signed and I would at least take your point but I don't think either of those things happened.
Did the Islanders pay out Dipietro’s contract? Here’s a hint, they did. There’s your example. Provide any examples of teams that benefitted from a situation like Luongo and didn’t pay for it, I’ll wait.

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
Did the Islanders pay out Dipietro’s contract? Here’s a hint, they did. There’s your example. Provide any examples of teams that benefitted from a situation like Luongo and didn’t pay for it, I’ll wait.

Hossa the man who suddenly became allergic to his equipment?

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Hossa the man who suddenly became allergic to his equipment?
I hope that’s not the hill you plan to die on. Just because you believe in unicorns and can describe them doesn’t mean they exist. Hossa is far from the rule, let’s go ahead and call that the exception. You really want me to list long-term, big money, back-diving contracts that were signed AND ACTUALLY HONORED? I’d be glad to but there are far more examples than your unicorn.

If the Canucks didn’t want to pay the penalty they had plenty of options; actually play Luongo and let him play out the Contract, ask Luongo to fail a Medical, trade the Panthers a nominal asset to have him ride the pine and play out his contract. They elected to do the one person holding the cards dirty (Luongo himself) and now you wanna cry because he took the easy way out. You’re welcome, but I won’t lose a bit of sleep over it.

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
I hope that’s not the hill you plan to die on. Just because you believe in unicorns and can describe them doesn’t mean they exist. Hossa is far from the rule, let’s go ahead and call that the exception. You really want me to list long-term, big money, back-diving contracts that were signed AND ACTUALLY HONORED? I’d be glad to but there are far more examples than your unicorn.

You asked for an example, I provided one... there is more out there. Zetterberg for example. The point being they let other teams get out of it because of another loophole... yet “punished” the Canucks because Luongo didn’t take that route as well.

There is so many shady things that happen in the NHL yet this is the hill they decide to die on.

Just makes you laugh sometimes, especially when you see things like Kevin Labanc’s contract as well.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
You asked for an example, I provided one... there is more out there. Zetterberg for example. The point being they let other teams get out of it because of another loophole... yet “punished” the Canucks because Luongo didn’t take that route as well.

There is so many shady things that happen in the NHL yet this is the hill they decide to die on.

Just makes you laugh sometimes, especially when you see things like Kevin Labanc’s contract as well.
The teams benefitting from these types of shenanigans went out of their way to accommodate the players, how did the Canucks do Luongo? Did you really expect Luongo to help the Canucks out? Or do you think, just maybe he thought I’m going to think about ME FIRST which the Canucks never did?

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
The teams benefitting from these types of shenanigans went out of their way to accommodate the players, how did the Canucks do Luongo? Did you really expect Luongo to help the Canucks out? Or do you think, just maybe he thought I’m going to think about ME FIRST which the Canucks never did?

True, those teams front loaded contracts for those players.

Keep moving the goalposts though you ask for examples than seem to get angry when they’re provided. The Canucks traded Luongo to the one team he would want to play for.

The fact remains those teams benefited from cap circumvention just as much as the Canucks... yet were never punished for it... as they used a second loophole, further making the league look like a joke.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
True, those teams front loaded contracts for those players.

Keep moving the goalposts though you ask for examples than seem to get angry when they’re provided. The Canucks traded Luongo to the one team he would want to play for.

The fact remains those teams benefited from cap circumvention just as much as the Canucks... yet were never punished for it... as they used a second loophole, further making the league look like a joke.
You listed AN example so you mean THAT TEAM. Face it the Canucks tried to get cute and got caught in their own trap. Boo Hoo

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
You listed AN example so you mean THAT TEAM. Face it the Canucks tried to get cute and got caught in their own trap. Boo Hoo
I listed two examples, and could find a few more. I don’t see the reason to judging by your responses though.

I can also list two examples of teams that got “caught” .... woo!

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Interestingly, I think the Luongo contract did a surprisingly good job of tracking Luongo's performance year to year (which was what gillis argued at the time).

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

The NHL was investigating the Hossa contract as potential cap circumvention in July of 2009. NHL looking into Marian Hossa's 12-year contract with Blackhawks

T
his was a couple months before Luongo’s circumvention contract was signed in September of 2009. I don’t know the precise date the NHL sent official memos to teams warning them, but it had clearly happened before Kovalchuk in July 2010. Kovalchuk contract latest example of CBA loophole; Averages $583,000 last 6 years

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman has warned teams to stop constructing these type of contracts, yet Devils GM Lou Lamoriello, who sat in the room next to Bettman and helped draft this current CBA five years ago, took this loophole to another level. At least the other contracts are masked a tiny bit.

The NHL treated the Luongo contract the same way as Hossa—the teams were informed the league was tentatively approving them, but reserved the right to continue investigating cap circumvention with potential penalties including voiding contracts, fines and forfeited draft picks.

Following the NHL’s arbitration win in voiding the Kovalchuk contract as cap circumvention the PA cut a deal with the NHL. The PA agreed to new contract limits and the NHL in return agreed not to pursue the older cap circumvention contracts like Hossa and Luongo.

I
don’t know if a formal memo was sent out before September 2009, or after the Luongo signing. Either way, the NHL had clearly signaled the Hossa deal was problematic before Luongo signed. I would hope by this point GM Mike Gillis was smart enough to know the NHL had an issue with these contracts before signing Luongo to one.

Last edited:
Reactions: NB613

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad