Proposal: Creative 4-Way Cap Dump Chi/TB/Det/VGK

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Here is an UPDATED VERSION of my Elaborate trade proposal:

Part 1: TB trades Y. Gourde + 2nd Round Pick to DET
Part 2: DET trades Y. Gourde to VGK for Fleury + 2nd Round Pick
Part 3: DET trades Fluery at 50% Retention to [Mystery Team 4] for a 2nd Round Pick.

Also here is why it works only as a 4 way deal.

VGK cant retain any money on Fluery, so they cant trade him with retention themselves. They Also need a 2nd line C. Gourde isn't elite, but hes way better than using 12M in Goalies.
TB wants to dump $$, also Gourde may waive to go to VGK.
[Mystery Team 4] will get Fleury on the cheap for 2 years.
DET gets 3 2nd round picks.

I lowered the Return for Detroit just to see where everyone stands, Obviously I would like to get as much as possible... which one of these teams should pay more or less??
Who would be the 4th Team? (Detroit could take a Goalie back for more Value etc etc)

*********************************************************************************

PAGES 1-5 Reply's to the Old Trade:

Here is a rather Elaborate trade proposal:
Part 1:
TB trades Johnson + 1st + 2nd to Det for "future considerations"
Part 2:
Det trades Johnson + 3rd round pick (Vegas's old pick) to Vegas
For MAF (no retention)
Part 3:
Det trades MAF (50% Retention - 3.5M) to Chicago for a 1st and 2nd round pick. (***This is where the post went off the rails due to value issues and me not knowing Chicago is rebuilding***)

Last edited:
Reactions: 24 others

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Or

Tampa trades Johnson for MAF
Thrn sends MAF to Ottawa who retains 50% with a 1st and thrn to Chicago snd Ottawa gets a 2nd from Chicago...

Reactions: NB613

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Interesting... kudos for creativity

My thoughts

Doubt Vegas wants to commit longterm to a guy like Johnson. Sure, he could theoretically slide to the wing when Glass is ready for prime time but they're pretty loaded there as well. They probably prefer to just clear MAF's salary if they can (although I kinda think that ship has sailed, with the Lehner injury and shipping off Schmidt & Stastny)

For Chicago, I don't see a retained MAF being much more valuable than a mid round pick. I doubt Chicago would pay assets to get retention either, especially when it seems like Bowman is commander of the not-particularly-stealthy tank

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
It's creative but Vegas wouldn't want any part of those contracts Tampa is looking to dump. They're better off seeing if Glass can take the job and if not look at potentially renting a guy like Getzlaf or Stepan.

And there's no way Chicago would give that up for Fleury. If they would Vegas would cut everyone else out and make that deal right now. That 1st would be a lottery pick in all likelihood.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Interesting... kudos for creativity

My thoughts

Doubt Vegas wants to commit longterm to a guy like Johnson. Sure, he could theoretically slide to the wing when Glass is ready for prime time but they're pretty loaded there as well. They probably prefer to just clear MAF's salary if they can (although I kinda think that ship has sailed, with the Lehner injury and shipping off Schmidt & Stastny)

For Chicago, I don't see a retained MAF being much more valuable than a mid round pick. I doubt Chicago would pay assets to get retention either, especially when it seems like Bowman is commander of the not-particularly-stealthy tank

I got the price for Fleury from (1 poster) on the Blackhawks board.

Seems Vegas would be much better off with 1 goalie. Also Lehner is supposed to be back by Jan 1.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
It's creative but Vegas wouldn't want any part of those contracts Tampa is looking to dump. They're better off seeing if Glass can take the job and if not look at potentially renting a guy like Getzlaf or Stepan.

And there's no way Chicago would give that up for Fleury. If they would Vegas would cut everyone else out and make that deal right now. That 1st would be a lottery pick in all likelihood.

Vegas can't do the retention themselves.

Mal Reynolds

Sep 28, 2008
I got the price for Fleury from (1 poster) on the Blackhawks board.

Seems Vegas would be much better off with 1 goalie. Also Lehner is supposed to be back by Jan 1.

That's.... exceedingly odd. I can't say even a MAF @ 50% returning much more than a 3rd at best. This poster must be a Fleury fanboy or something ;)

Normally, I'd agree with your second point but I kinda think they're thumbing their nose at the asking price to dump his salary. That, and they made their big moves to open cap space. Maybe they try again next summer when there's only a year left on his contract....?

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
That's.... exceedingly odd. I can't say even a MAF @ 50% returning much more than a 3rd at best. This poster must be a Fleury fanboy or something ;)

Normally, I'd agree with your second point but I kinda think they're thumbing their nose at the asking price to dump his salary. That, and they made their big moves to open cap space. Maybe they try again next summer when there's only a year left on his contract....?

Do you think Chicago has really stopped looking for goaltending?

Mal Reynolds

Sep 28, 2008
Just spitballing here, and this could maybe be a general framework for a trade.... [edit: I guess my version technically breaks down as 2 separate trades]

MAF to Chicago w/VGK 1st+
Johnson to Detroit w/TB 1st+
Strome.to Vegas (no idea what the Hawks would want in return on top of the payment to take MAF)

VGK might thumb their noses at Strome, but he'd fill a need. Could flip him down the line

Hawks would need to include Strome as they couldn't take on MAF and give him a new contract

Orrrrrrrr simplify it, take out Strome, add in Zack Smith, and reduce the cost for VGK to dump Fleury

*ducks for cover* :sarcasm:

Last edited:

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
what i could salvage out of this is detroit getting something from tampa for taking on the johnson contract . and trading johnson at 50% retained to vegas for a cheapish cap dump and a draft pick or prospect . johnsons happy / tbay happy / detroit happy / vegas happy

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
what i could salvage out of this is detroit getting something from tampa for taking on the johnson contract . and trading johnson at 50% retained to vegas for a cheapish cap dump and a draft pick or prospect . johnsons happy / tbay happy / detroit happy / vegas happy

Only trouble with that is Johnson's contract is too long for us to want to retain on.
I did think Johnson or Gourde would actually be ok with moving to Vegas so would waive to do so.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
There's so much wrong with this but after Chicago has decided to go young why would they give up a 1st and a 2nd for Fleury even with 50% retained.

Why would anyone give up that for a goalie like Fleury?

If that's his value I guess Edmonton should be sending Mike Smith to Detroit for Larkin, Mantha and a 1st because apparently mediocre goaltenders are suddenly worth an arm and a leg.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
There's so much wrong with this but after Chicago has decided to go young why would they give up a 1st and a 2nd for Fleury even with 50% retained.

Why would anyone give up that for a goalie like Fleury?

If that's his value I guess Edmonton should be sending Mike Smith to Detroit for Larkin, Mantha and a 1st because apparently mediocre goaltenders are suddenly worth an arm and a leg.

What is your Value to take on MAF 3.5M for Chicago. Or do you really think they plan on running Delia/Subban?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad