Proposal: Creative 4-Way Cap Dump Chi/TB/Det/VGK

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
This. But to make it even more clear and simple, the OP in Parts 1 and 2 has TB paying DET a 1st and 2nd for the 'service' of moving Johnson + a 3rd to VGK on their behalf.
they also retain 3.5m on the maf contract.

Mar 20, 2010
they also retain 3.5m on the maf contract.

Yes but more like "they screw TB out of participating in the ridiculously lucrative Part 3 of the trade". But that return isn't even realistic. Even if it were, VGK would capitalize on it.

Reactions: TBF1972

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
A first and a second for Fleury? People associate too much value with salary retention. I'd trade a 3rd round pick for Fleury with 50% retained. The guy's 35 and declined each of the past 2 years.

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
That's just plain silly.
how is it silly? Vegas is the team in the cap crunch why would the hawks do them any favours. They can take it or FO and deal with the ramifications. Vegas just basically gave away Schmidt to Vancouver for basically nothing and he is more valuable than Fleury.

Reactions: Pertti

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Here is a rather Elaborate trade proposal:

Part 1:

TB trades Johnson + 1st + 2nd to Det for "future considerations"

Part 2:

Det trades Johnson + 3rd round pick (Vegas's old pick) to Vegas
For MAF (no retention)

Part 3:
Det trades MAF (50% Retention - 3.5M) to Chicago for a 1st and 2nd round pick

I understand you want Detroit to get alot of picks but parts of this deal is making Detroit a middle man without them being needed in a couple cases. To take Detroit out of parts of the deal we could

Part 1

Tampa sends Johnson to Vegas for Fleury and a 2nd

Part 2

Tampa sends Fleury and 1st(lottery protected) to Detroit for a Chicago's 3rd(see part 3)

Part 3

Detroit eats half of Fleury's deal and sends him to Chicago for a 3rd

Pitter Patter

May 20, 2020
Once again, Fleury was offered league-wide with a second and nobody would touch him. Retaining 50% doesn’t suddenly make him worth a first and second, especially from a rebuilding team like Chicago. If Vegas wants Chicago to take that contract, the cost is Krebs period.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Part 1:

Part 2:

For MAF (no retention)

Part 3:

What each team gets:
Detroit Obviously lots of picks.
Vegas Gets a 2C back so Glass is 3rd line C, and dumps fleury's full deal.
Chicago gets a cheap/quality Goalie or 2 years.
TB buys cap space to sign RFA's

If Johnson doesn't sound like a worthwhile player for Vegas, Does Gourde make it work??

Hawks give up lotto pick + 2nd for Marc Andre Fleury ,,,, Are you serious?

Counter offer you guys trade Larkin + MAF (50% retained) for Brent Seabrook + Malcolm Subban (50% retained)

Looks great to me!

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Hawks get hosed in every deal for MAF that I have seen on this site. We were about to draft 7th or 8th until the COVID playoffs happened, you think we are moving that plus a second for some 30+ goalie with a shitty contract? What in the f***

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Chicago giving a 1st for MAF??

Y'all should be the ones giving us a 1st :laugh:

For Marc-Andre Fleury at 3.5M? I think you're nutty. The whole reason 7M for two years is untenable for Fleury is that the cap is flat so it's rough to add that value to your cap hits. Fleury at 3.5M is a whole f***ing different deal. That's a 1G for less money than Jimmy Howard made last year.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
how is it silly? Vegas is the team in the cap crunch why would the hawks do them any favours. They can take it or FO and deal with the ramifications. Vegas just basically gave away Schmidt to Vancouver for basically nothing and he is more valuable than Fleury.
....... because CHI would be improving their team, which is doing themselves a favor.

Call me crazy, some teams like to improve their rosters.

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
....... because CHI would be improving their team, which is doing themselves a favor.

Call me crazy, some teams like to improve their rosters.
No it does nothing for the Hawks. They are rebuilding and to rebuild you need elite prospects. So it’s either go with the 3 unproven goalies and finish in the bottom 5 and draft elite prospects or you help other teams with their cap issues and they give you elite prospects to do so. It’s not that hard to understand.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
No it does nothing for the Hawks. They are rebuilding and to rebuild you need elite prospects. So it’s either go with the 3 unproven goalies and finish in the bottom 5 and draft elite prospects or you help other teams with their cap issues and they give you elite prospects to do so. It’s not that hard to understand.
Yeah, that strategy has done wonders for EDM and BUF.

Good call.

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
Management and scouting plays part as well in choosing who to build with. Not every team is as poor as those two teams. More succeed than not.I could say the same about bubble teams that hover at the 8th, 9th or 10th spot for playoffs and never get better but think they are a contender. if Fleury was so valuable why is he still there? Vegas already gave up a more valuable player in Schmidt for basically nothing as they are desperate

Last edited:

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County

Part 1:

Part 2:

For MAF (no retention)

Part 3:

What each team gets:
Detroit Obviously lots of picks.
Vegas Gets a 2C back so Glass is 3rd line C, and dumps fleury's full deal.
Chicago gets a cheap/quality Goalie or 2 years.
TB buys cap space to sign RFA's

If Johnson doesn't sound like a worthwhile player for Vegas, Does Gourde make it work??
lol

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Yeah, that strategy has done wonders for EDM and BUF.

Good call.

Citing two well known teams with toxic ownership as well as a great scouting department that has seen only 1 or 2 non 1st round picks make the league the last 10 years isnt the standard progress of rebuilding teams you clown.

Reactions: thesaadfather

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Citing two well known teams with toxic ownership as well as a great scouting department that has seen only 1 or 2 non 1st round picks make the league the last 10 years isnt the standard progress of rebuilding teams you clown.

Not every team can be owned by paragon's of quality ownership like Bill Wirtz.

As for your personal insult, try harder next time.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Management and scouting plays part as well in choosing who to build with. Not every team is as poor as those two teams. More succeed than not.I could say the same about bubble teams that hover at the 8th, 9th or 10th spot for playoffs and never get better but think they are a contender. if Fleury was so valuable why is he still there? Vegas already gave up a more valuable player in Schmidt for basically nothing as they are desperate
Not really, in a sense, they traded Schmidt for Pietrangelo and a 3rd. Not awful if you frame it that way.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I got the price for Fleury from (1 poster) on the Blackhawks board.

Seems Vegas would be much better off with 1 goalie. Also Lehner is supposed to be back by Jan 1.

We want names! Who did this?

upload_2020-10-17_22-7-56.gif

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Not every team can be owned by paragon's of quality ownership like Bill Wirtz.

As for your personal insult, try harder next time.

Perhaps if you tried harder at making a half decent point this conversation wouldnt have happened? Mindlessly citing Buffalo and Edmonton while ignoring Winnipeg, Toronto, LA from 05-08, Chicago from 03-07, Tampa from 08-12, (and more teams that could be named) and how their rebuilds turned their teams into strong teams is small brain thinking.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
I feel like TBL should move Gourde for cap space before TJ

Gourde won’t cost as much to unload (he might even get picked up on waivers), and TJ becomes a bit easier to move in 2021 when his NTC becomes an LNTC

as for the OP, obvious the Chicago part makes the whole thing ridiculous, but I believe the premise works if we can tinker with the values. What would moving Gourde to DET/ some team look like?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad