Proposal: Creative 4-Way Cap Dump Chi/TB/Det/VGK

Mar 20, 2010
I feel like TBL should move Gourde for cap space before TJ

Gourde won’t cost as much to unload (he might even get picked up on waivers), and TJ becomes a bit easier to move in 2021 when his NTC becomes an LNTC

as for the OP, obvious the Chicago part makes the whole thing ridiculous, but I believe the premise works if we can tinker with the values. What would moving Gourde to DET/ some team look like?

Gourde also has full NTC so it depends how open he is to moving. He is a valuable player but given his contract and TB's situation that everyone is aware of, I think TB will be lucky to unload him for free.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
GDT: - Free Agency - Oct 9th - 11:00am CT

I
think it's pretty clear no one really understood my question. I assumed u actually. wanted a goalie.

I
n either case, I didn't realise Chicago is actually joining Detroit in "not so good-ville". (Rebuilding)

He was saying taking Fleury and recieving a 1st, 2nd for taking Fleury's contract from Vegas. It didnt read the way you interpreted it as

Reactions: BinCookin

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
....... because CHI would be improving their team, which is doing themselves a favor.

Call me crazy, some teams like to improve their rosters.
Counter offer:

Strome for Seider and an unprotected first. It improves the redwings nhl roster so according to your logic, good deal for them right? Value/long term team needs be damned.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Counter offer:

Strome for Seider and an unprotected first. It improves the redwings nhl roster so according to your logic, good deal for them right? Value/long term team needs be damned.
Hi,

You may want to read more than just the post you responded too, but the actual conversation of posts where someone said that at 50% VGK would have to add Krebs or Glass to Fleury to get future considerations from DET.

So your absolutely ridiculous offer is not just silly, but completely irrelevant and not at all analagous since I never suggested a rebuilding team should give up one of their best prospects for a veteran cap casualty. So... yeah, total fail.

I can understand 100% why DET wouldn't give up anything significant for MAF.

That wasn't the conversation though. The conversation was that there would have to be an add of a prime prospect attached to a 50% Fleury. Toews at 50% + Boqvist to DET for Future Considerations because Detroit has no interest in competing and thus Toews would be a total cap dump and would need a prime asset attached to him just get out of his contract.

But of course that's ridiculous, which was the original point.

Thanks for playing though.

If we want to take your reductio ad absurdum approach like you did, one could say:

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Hi,

You may want to read more than just the post you responded too, but the actual conversation of posts where someone said that at 50% VGK would have to add Krebs or Glass to Fleury to get future considerations from DET.

So your absolutely ridiculous offer is not just silly, but completely irrelevant and not at all analagous since I never suggested a rebuilding team should give up one of their best prospects for a veteran cap casualty. So... yeah, total fail.

That wasn't the conversation though. The conversation was that there would have to be an add of a prime prospect attached to a 50% Fleury. Toews at 50% + Boqvist to DET for Future Considerations because Detroit has no interest in competing and thus Toews would be a total cap dump and would need a prime asset attached to him just get out of his contract.

If we want to take your reductio ad absurdum approach like you did, one could say:

Probably need to take a break

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Didn't Vegas offer MAF at 50% for a 2nd round pick around the leauge?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Gourde also has full NTC so it depends how open he is to moving. He is a valuable player but given his contract and TB's situation that everyone is aware of, I think TB will be lucky to unload him for free.
If we waived him, he would be picked up though. That's actually a kind of clever solution, although I'm in no hurry to lose Gourde after the playoff run he just had.

But would I rather trade a 1st with Johnson? I don't know. Johnson was bad this year, but he's one season removed from 29 goals. If he could get back to 20-20 form, I'd rather lose Gourde than the 1st. But that's a big IF.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Getting so worked up about a silly trade thread. I’ll be ok. Will you sir?

Since you don't seem interested in discussing trades in a trade thread and instead just want to talk about other posters, I think perhaps your planned break is a good idea. If you'd like to discuss on topic things, let me know.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Since you don't seem interested in discussing trades in a trade thread and instead just want to talk about other posters, I think perhaps your planned break is a good idea. If you'd like to discuss on topic things, let me know.

Will do chief. Miss you

Mar 20, 2010
If we waived him, he would be picked up though. That's actually a kind of clever solution, although I'm in no hurry to lose Gourde after the playoff run he just had.

But would I rather trade a 1st with Johnson? I don't know. Johnson was bad this year, but he's one season removed from 29 goals. If he could get back to 20-20 form, I'd rather lose Gourde than the 1st. But that's a big IF.

Sure he may very well get claimed on waivers but some people thought TJ would get claimed as well.

I'm not sure other GMs will take on any players from TB (unless they are attached to great sweeteners) until they see what happens with the RFAs. And I don't think they are doing this just to 'screw' JBB, I think it's b/c any GM that has the cap space to take on a Johnson/Gourde would prefer to save it to take a shot at getting Cirelli (or another RFA) first, if any end up on the trading block. Even if TB manages to sign all the RFAs, the price of every trade that TB must then do to clear even more space goes up even higher, so it's worth waiting out.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018

the problem is the few teams with the cap space to help tampa, know the time is working in their favor. with every fa and rfa signing tampa's option get even more scarce. currently you say, you would attach a pick to johnson. look back and see, what you thought 3 month ago, what would be the return for johnson. brisbois would better start to act quickly and move out salary, where he can or he will be at the mercy of his former boss. detroit could raid your roster: cernak for a fourth. johnson and cirelli for a second. gourde and sergachev for a first.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Hi,

Vegas offered Fleury at 50% + a 2nd for FREE and nobody was taking it. Take a lap

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Vegas offered Fleury at 50% + a 2nd for FREE and nobody was taking it. Take a lap

Just took my lap, feels good. Hey can you please post a link from a published report that he was offered at 50% AND a 2nd rd pick (not just a 2nd rd pick w/ 0 retention). Thanks.

I'll just keep on running laps while waiting for you to back up your claim with evidence.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Just took my lap, feels good. Hey can you please post a link from a published report that he was offered at 50% AND a 2nd rd pick (not just a 2nd rd pick w/ 0 retention). Thanks.

I'll just keep on running laps while waiting for you to back up your claim with evidence.
It came from drinking too much Schmaltz Liquor.

Vegas's own beat writer.

NHL Network

Take this on your way out next time kid

:laugh:
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
  • Detroit gets 1 firsts and 2 seconds for Vegas' 3rd and retaining 1/2 of MAF's contract.
  • Vegas gets TJ and a 3rd for MAF, 1st and 2nd.
  • Tampa pays a 1st and a second to get someone to take a perfectly fine 2nd line center.
  • Chicago pays a 1st and a second for 2 years of a starting goalie.

1. Detroit.... well let's just say we've never EVER seen a team make out this well with multiple trades.
  2. I think Vegas is paying too much... but then we've seen Vegas get pennies for sending great players out already.
  3. I think Tampa is paying too much.. but then again look at what I just said about Vegas.
  4. I'm 100% certain that Chicago is paying too much for 2 years of a 35 year old goalie. Regardless of whether or not there's salary retention Detroit is still selling them something that takes up cap space. Take the 2nd rounder out.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Based on what I've heard, I think the more realistic version is something like this:

CHI in: Fleury @ 50% retained
CHI out: nothing

VGK in: Johnson, 3rd from TB
VGK out: Fleury (no retention)

TB in: nothing
TB out: Johnson, 1st, 3rd

DET in: 1st from TB, 50% of Fleury cap
DET out: nothing

Really this can be two separate deals (Fleury dump and Johnson dump) and any team with 3.5m cap space can replace DET. The rumor is that a 3-team trade with Fleury would involve the third team getting a 1st to retain 50%. This 1st would come from VGK, not the team receiving Fleury.

That's unrealistic. If Detroit is going to sell dead cap space it's going to cost more than that.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
  • Detroit gets 1 firsts and 2 seconds for Vegas' 3rd and retaining 1/2 of MAF's contract.
  • Vegas gets TJ and a 3rd for MAF, 1st and 2nd.
  • Tampa pays a 1st and a second to get someone to take a perfectly fine 2nd line center.
  • Chicago pays a 1st and a second for 2 years of a starting goalie.
  1. Detroit.... well let's just say we've never EVER seen a team make out this well with multiple trades.
  2. I think Vegas is paying too much... but then we've seen Vegas get pennies for sending great players out already.
  3. I think Tampa is paying too much.. but then again look at what I just said about Vegas.
  4. I'm 100% certain that Chicago is paying too much for 2 years of a 35 year old goalie. Regardless of whether or not there's salary retention Detroit is still selling them something that takes up cap space. Take the 2nd rounder out.

A first for Fleury is still hilariously awful for Chicago

Reactions: thesaadfather

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad