Speculation: Crawford

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
What about his disgusting hit on Pitkanen?

No intent to injure?

Here was a joke of a non-call on Carcillo that was clear head targeting

No intent to injure?

I could go on sadly as Carcillo has lengthy history

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

No intent to injure?

No intent to injure?

This is where you not ever playing comes into things.

To be clear, Carcillo was a dirty player and committed a lot of stupid plays but these two are not in that grouping.

The first play could happen 4-5 times a game and was a accident. A small variable in pressure there and it can go either way.

The second play RF was falling so there is no way to prevent that.

The crosscheck play you linked was dirty but the Bradley play he was already dropping his gloves and TK had the puck and just side stepped the hit.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Carcillo was also a product of an era where coaches condoned their own players doing this stuff...no defense to Carcillo at all who was a scumbag on the ice, but let's not act like this wasn't part of the game for decades..many players rode that fine line and were employed to do so. Blame Carcillo and blame the system/coaching for allowing and employing it.

I would rather not hear from Carcillo much on this stuff as he hurt too many players and crossed that line too may times for me, but if anyone knows better about this stuff it is him. He has a right to talk about it, but he also better be prepared to be attacked for the shit he did on the ice for years.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
If the league cares then he would of been suspended a half or a whole season for one of those hits.

Then he wouldn't be used by coaches or other players of that type couldnt play if they were actually defending safety.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

No intent to injure?

No intent to injure?

None of this should exclude Carcillo talking about the dangers of CTE. Torres can come out and talk about it all he wants as well.
What matters is, the young players coming up have knowledge about the dangers of it, and Dan is a good advocate for it right now, despite the way he played.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
As long as he doesn’t defend his style of play or downplay it, I don’t have an issue with him being vocal on head injuries. The more awareness the better.
I don't think he has defended the way he played, or downplayed it. But he has said that him and Boynton and others were never warned about the dangers of CTE and head injuries by the NHL when they were playing. So that's why he is advocating so much about it now, so others know.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Which is nonsense since CTE was well known thing during his time with Hawks so this "I was never told" claim is BS

Every player in NHL knows about concussions/CTE and have known for more then decade now

Blaming NHL and saying "I didn't know" is absurd

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Which is nonsense since CTE was well known thing during his time with Hawks so this "I was never told" claim is BS

Every player in NHL knows about concussions/CTE and have known for more then decade now

They knew about concussions but not at all was cte a well known thing before the 2010s. And the denial of both is still a fight the Nhl battles

Last edited:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

Considering the NHL still doesn't admit to it throws this claim completely out of the window. They don't admit to it to this day, let alone 10 years ago.

The NHL is a joke when it comes to CTE, lagging behind all other contact sports.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

The NHL to this day refuses to admit it’s a thing. The NHL is at fault here.

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL

Coming from an individual who's never played in the NHL, that's a bold claim, Cotton.

Flahawkfan

Apr 24, 2017
DC has every right to discuss CTE and his experiences with it. He was a role player rarely getting more than 10 points a season, maybe playing in 30-50 games per year. Do you think teams signed him for his skill and goal scoring ability? Burish said it best at this weekend convention, "I was a crap player, but I brought my passion and hard work ethic every day and that's how I stayed in the league". He is no different than DC. Just a role player.

Looking at DC's time in the box each season, he filled a role. Not only did he give a few bad hits out, he jumped in when bad hits were given to his teammates. He even was given bad hits. Dan filled his role and he did it well looking over his career. That's the niche he developed and when teams thought they needed some toughness or grit in their lineup, the looked for players like DC. And he was payed well for this.

Now, we can debate how he discusses this, and talk about a right way or wrong way, but that is opinion.

To sum it up: I would rather have a guy like DC discuss the effects (probably because he has/seen the effects) of CTE vs. Kane or Gretzky. It's like having Grimson discuss the benefits of fighting in the NHL vs. Toews.

To bring this back to the original subject - Hopefully Corey is not feeling the effects of PCS and it does not cut his career short.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
DC has every right to discuss CTE and his experiences with it. He was a role player rarely getting more than 10 points a season, maybe playing in 30-50 games per year. Do you think teams signed him for his skill and goal scoring ability? Burish said it best at this weekend convention, "I was a crap player, but I brought my passion and hard work ethic every day and that's how I stayed in the league". He is no different than DC. Just a role player.

Looking at DC's time in the box each season, he filled a role. Not only did he give a few bad hits out, he jumped in when bad hits were given to his teammates. He even was given bad hits. Dan filled his role and he did it well looking over his career. That's the niche he developed and when teams thought they needed some toughness or grit in their lineup, the looked for players like DC. And he was payed well for this.

Now, we can debate how he discusses this, and talk about a right way or wrong way, but that is opinion.

To sum it up: I would rather have a guy like DC discuss the effects (probably because he has/seen the effects) of CTE vs. Kane or Gretzky. It's like having Grimson discuss the benefits of fighting in the NHL vs. Toews.

You would rather have DC who has little reach talk about it over someone like Kane or Gretzky who has exponentially more reach talk about? This makes very little sense. Ideally you have everyone talking about but Kane seriously talking about is much more impactful than Carcillo. Just look at the hate/doubt that he gets on here already.

Flahawkfan

Apr 24, 2017
I would argue that Kane and Gretzky never got hit to the extent as some of these other guys. I'm not even sure Kane or Gretzky even suffered a concussion during their NHL careers (so far). Its hard to talk about something you haven't experienced. I would agree that a player with much more "star power" would get the message across better and again we can argue about the delivery as I said above. But I stick to my original thought that DC and NB are the faces of CTE as they deal with it on a daily basis

Everything's Not O.K. | By Nick Boynton

Gone | By Daniel Carcillo

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I would argue that Kane and Gretzky never got hit to the extent as some of these other guys. I'm not even sure Kane or Gretzky even suffered a concussion during their NHL careers (so far). Its hard to talk about something you haven't experienced. I would agree that a player with much more "star power" would get the message across better and again we can argue about the delivery as I said above. But I stick to my original thought that DC and NB are the faces of CTE as they deal with it on a daily basis

Ok then have Toews and Crosby talk about it.

Flahawkfan

Apr 24, 2017
Former NHL enforcer reveals dark secrets in the league, demands a change!

"And then he asked a very relevant question, one that could change many things in the way Bettman talks about concussion. He wonders whether more would be done if players such as Pittsburgh Penguins star player Sidney Crosby and Hawks captain Jonathan Toewsspoke out on the issue. After all, both player have suffered multiple concussions in their careers. He goes on to invite Philadelphia Flyers captain Claude Giroux as well. "

Simple - because they haven't show the willingness to do this.

Would you settle for Lindros and Dryden?

Last edited:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I don't think he has defended the way he played, or downplayed it. But he has said that him and Boynton and others were never warned about the dangers of CTE and head injuries by the NHL when they were playing. So that's why he is advocating so much about it now, so others know.
Some would say Chris Pronger straddled the line in regards to fair play. However, if he spoke up about the dangers of concussions in the NHL ... we would all listen. The same should be said for Eric Lindros and Daniel Carcillo.

Today's society has a tendency to trash the messenger before listening to the message. Throughout history, there have been NO messengers who were perfect (unless you are Christian). Even Gandhi, MLK, Lincoln, Jefferson, etc. had their personal issues. Hence, LISTEN TO MESSAGE and disregard the messenger.

In no way am I comparing Carcillo to them ... but I think you get the point.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Toews and Crosby, and other high profile stars haven't shown the willingness to do it, because you don't bite the hand that feeds you.... These are guys that are still employed by the NHL, and guys who will likely have plenty of NHL career opportunities after they retire.

Reactions: ChiHawks10 and BK

Flahawkfan

Apr 24, 2017
Pez - 100% agreed. Many hockey players including Chris Pronger, Pat LaFontaine, Scott Stevens, Eric and Brett Lindros, Michel Goulet, Brian Bradly, Nick Kypreos, Adam Deadmarsh, Jeff Beukeboom, Matthew Barnaby, Paul Comrie and Keith Primeau, are suffering from PCS. Many of these guys won't talk about it because they are still connected with the NHL in some form or another i.e. NHL Network, Scouts, etc
This is why Carcillo and Boyton can speak so openly of this without much backlash.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Some would say Chris Pronger straddled the line in regards to fair play. However, if he spoke up about the dangers of concussions in the NHL ... we would all listen. The same should be said for Eric Lindros and Daniel Carcillo.

Today's society has a tendency to trash the messenger before listening to the message. Throughout history, there have been NO messengers who were perfect (unless you are Christian). Even Gandhi, MLK, Lincoln, Jefferson, etc. had their personal issues. Hence, LISTEN TO MESSAGE and disregard the messenger.

In no way am I comparing Carcillo to them ... but I think you get the point.

Yup, great post. Nobody is perfect. And those great people you mentioned were only great because they recognized that within themselves and tried to fix their personal problems and improve, always looking inward instead of outward. Joe Rogan was talking about this the other day, when you say something negative about another person, that is a symptom of your disrespect for yourself. Great post.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Even the gooniest goon to have ever gooned doesn't deserve the horrendouse post-playing ramnifications of CTE. It's a desperate game to stay in, and oftentimes being like that would've been the only way that some lower-skill players would've made an NHL roster, much less played in the league for years. Especially as the public knowledge of CTE is still relatively young.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Getting back to Crawford discussion I wanted to bring this back to life to ask if you believe Crawford will have his # retired?

IMO at this point he should be worthy of honor

He is easily among the greatest goaltenders to play for this organization

- He is 3rd most winning goalie in franchise history with 230 wins (Esposito and Hall only one's with more)
- His 48 playoff wins is most in franchise history
- Is only goalie in franchise history to win multiple Stanley Cups with team

People will argue he doesn't have the personal awards but its pretty widely accepted that he was robbed of 2013 Conn Smythe largely because media didn't want to award it to goalie for 3rd straight year and have talk of it becoming a goalie award

Before his health issues he was a safe bet to hit 300 win mark though now that is no longer a certain or safe bet

I expect #50 to hang from rafters someday and the HOF requirement that some fans talk about went out window with Maggie going up there so shouldn't be held against Crawford or anyone else in future

Reactions: TheDoorDoctor

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Getting back to Crawford discussion I wanted to bring this back to life to ask if you believe Crawford will have his # retired?

IMO at this point he should be worthy of honor

He is easily among the greatest goaltenders to play for this organization

- He is 3rd most winning goalie in franchise history with 230 wins (Esposito and Hall only one's with more)
- His 48 playoff wins is most in franchise history
- Is only goalie in franchise history to win multiple Stanley Cups with team

People will argue he doesn't have the personal awards but its pretty widely accepted that he was robbed of 2013 Conn Smythe largely because media didn't want to award it to goalie for 3rd straight year and have talk of it becoming a goalie award

Before his health issues he was a safe bet to hit 300 win mark though now that is no longer a certain or safe bet

I expect #50 to hang from rafters someday and the HOF requirement that some fans talk about went out window with Maggie going up there so shouldn't be held against Crawford or anyone else in future

We just have to wait for a bunch of bandwaggoners to die off 1st...the ones still under the delusion that he's "Average" or was "carried by the team". His 2015 Jennings win was more due to his play than it was on the D in front of him.

I don't know if his number will be up in the rafters, but anyone who was paying attention in 2015, 2016, and especially early last year knows precisely what he brought to a team where the D was on the downskid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad