NFL: Crater for Caleb, Bad play for Maye - Bears clinch #1 pick via Panthers and rest of order set

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Like someone said above, I'm not sold on the top two QBs for the same reasons, draft MHJ 1st and give Fields a weapon. If Fields ends up not working out after next season, look at those QBs, but you still have MJH for the next guy to use.
QB1 in next year's draft would probably have been QB4 in this year's draft. They are also extremely unlikely to have as high a draft pick next season.

It's not like they can wait a year and would then be back in the same position. Sitting on the 1st overall pick with someone else's draft pick in a strong QB draft is unprecedented.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Biggest decision going for the Bears.

1) New president has to decide on Poles, a GM he did not hire. Is he the person to decide on the HC and thus the action on the 1st pick of the draft?
2) Whomever the GM is, first duty is then to decide on Eberflus. IMO, if you keep him, it has to be with the commitment to keep him for another 2-3 seasons. Can't be, you are on the hot stove in 2024, ala Nagy was after they drafted Fields and then fired him. And if new HC, are you limiting your seach to who wants to work with Fields, or do you then allow the new HC to have input on the QB decision?
3) Related to #2, who is your QB going to be? If it is Fields, then you are deciding on a HC that fits and works with him. If not Fields, then you allow the HC to have input into the draft selection.
Williams, I have my concerns about how he is going to be even keeled enough to handle the ups and downs of the NFL. This isn't college where the top 5-6 programs have 0-2 losses. Best NFL team so far has lost 4 games. And the next best 3-5 teams have lost 5-6 games.
Maye, the ACC competition is limited due to Clemson being down since Lawrence left. Miami still in transition with Cristobal. FSU, they didn't play them with Maye at QB. Maye looks the part with size, arm and mobility.
Daniels - just won the Heisman.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Especially after passing on the top pick last year if the Bears don’t come out of this draft with either Caleb or Harrison it’s a massive failure.

These chances are so rare in the league and the Bears shouldn’t be thinking about picking high for years after this draft

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
why would you want caleb on your team he is super immature and comes across as a lockerroom poison/toxic once he gets to the nfl.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Like someone said above, I'm not sold on the top two QBs for the same reasons, draft MHJ 1st and give Fields a weapon. If Fields ends up not working out after next season, look at those QBs, but you still have MJH for the next guy to use.

They can’t have back to back 1st overall picks and be in a situation where they don’t have a QB

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Probably is not what is going to happen but I think the Bears should draft a QB and also keep Fields. Competition breeds better players. Don't know why so many NFL teams are so keen to throw a rookie QB into the fire as the no doubt starter anyway. It's one of the hardest jobs in sports, takes time to learn playbooks and how to read pro defenses, not to mention a lot of them need to put some muscle on too.

With the way QBs went down this year sure don't see the harm in having two good ones. Throwing in the towel on a whole season just cuz one guy busted his ankle seems like a huge waste.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Probably is not what is going to happen but I think the Bears should draft a QB and also keep Fields. Competition breeds better players. Don't know why so many NFL teams are so keen to throw a rookie QB into the fire as the no doubt starter anyway. It's one of the hardest jobs in sports, takes time to learn playbooks and how to read pro defenses, not to mention a lot of them need to put some muscle on too.

With the way QBs went down this year sure don't see the harm in having two good ones. Throwing in the towel on a whole season just cuz one guy busted his ankle seems like a huge waste.
I dont think it works from a psychology perspective. If it did, I would definitely be on board. I think Fields seems like an awesome guy, but asking him to mentor his replacement in only year 4 in the league is a lot.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

This is actually something I was thinking about, if they drafted Bo Nix or something on Day 2. Everyone going to be tying him to Brock Purdy with comparisons given his experience level.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I think they should trade him and try to surround Caleb with better players with the assets.

Or keep Fields and take Harrison and run with Fields- Harrison- Moore.

What they can’t do and what they’ll likely do is ignore the above and trade too far back

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I think they should trade him and try to surround Caleb with better players with the assets.

Or keep Fields and take Harrison and run with Fields- Harrison- Moore.

What they can’t do and what they’ll likely do is ignore the above and trade too far back
They traded back last year. Unless they gape the other team catastrophically they can't trade back again unless they are 100% sure Fields is the guy (not that the Bears have a track record of being trusted on QB's in the first place tbh).

Take the best QB first, build up that interior OL (i don't think the Bears' tackles are all rhat bad but what do i know) and set him up for success. OL is way more important than WR.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
They traded back last year. Unless they gape the other team catastrophically they can't trade back again unless they are 100% sure Fields is the guy (not that the Bears have a track record of being trusted on QB's in the first place tbh).

Take the best QB first, build up that interior OL (i don't think the Bears' tackles are all rhat bad but what do i know) and set him up for success. OL is way more important than WR.

They can’t trade back, just can’t.
Which is what many of the ”experts” are suggesting they should do.

You can not have 2 1st overalls and lose out on all the QB’s and Harrison. You just can’t. This league runs around superstars/game changers.

But at the same time I wouldn’t be surprised if they ended up doing something as stupid, I’d be a bit mad but not surprised

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
They can’t trade back, just can’t.
Which is what many of the ”experts” are suggesting they should do.

You can not have 2 1st overalls and lose out on all the QB’s and Harrison. You just can’t. This league runs around superstars/game changers.

Trading down doesn't mean you miss out on all of Williams, Maye, Daniels or Harrison

It depends who Bears trade down with and what they get

Personally, I would be seeing if NE or Arizona want to trade up. Get assets and still be in position to land one of the top prospects.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Trading down doesn't mean you miss out on all of Williams, Maye, Daniels or Harrison

It depends who Bears trade down with and what they get

Personally, I would be seeing if NE or Arizona want to trade up. Get assets and still be in position to land one of the top prospects.

I just can’t agree with a team that’s okay with missing out on both Caleb& Harrison. You are just asking to get fired at that point.

I can understand somehow going for Harrison over Caleb but not on anyone else going above them.
Harrison is considered a generational Wr draft prospect and Caleb was considered in Burrow/Lawrence draft tier prior to this season

This is the last time for the next 10 years Bears should be thinking about drafting in the top5 so take the best player possible and run with it with a smile

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Cam Ward apparently looking at getting in. Someone giving him bad advice there.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Especially after passing on the top pick last year if the Bears don’t come out of this draft with either Caleb or Harrison it’s a massive failure.

These chances are so rare in the league and the Bears shouldn’t be thinking about picking high for years after this draft
Yep. It's like Elway opting for Chubb over Allen. You get a case of Galaxy Brain you are gambling with your job.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I mean NE plays the Jets whom they have done well against. So, SOS may not even play.

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
During this "heater" that the Bears are currently on, Fields has done the following: 4 TD's, 3 picks, 59% completion % and a passer rating in the 70's.

This whole thing is silly, the Bears are drafting a QB.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
I get that the Bears need more than just a QB, but a great QB lifts his OK teammates more than great teammates lift an OK QB

You don't go a fancy steakhouse and choose the 4th best steak so that you can get the best baked potato

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I get that the Bears need more than just a QB, but a great QB lifts his OK teammates more than great teammates lift an OK QB

You don't go a fancy steakhouse and choose the 4th best steak so that you can get the best baked potato
That might be the single greatest metaphor for this topic that I've ever heard, and it's exactly correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad