NFL: Crater for Caleb, Bad play for Maye - Bears clinch #1 pick via Panthers and rest of order set

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It wouldn't surprise me. Ownership might wanna go for the flashy move.
Honestly, seems like Bears if they go with Fields want MHJ with their top pick.

Unless the order changes after week 18, it is currently Chi, Was, NE, AZ, NYG, LAC,

Can see picks 1, 2, 3 being Caleb whoever ends up with this pick, then Maye to Was and Daniels to NE (or vice versa). AZ, would then likely stick with Kyler and draft Harrison JR.
Chicago really can't trade past AZ and still get Harrison JR imo. AZ got an OT last draft. Could still opt to bookend OT, but they have Houston's pick with is currently in the higher teens pending on the outcome of the game this weekend. Can still get an OT to booked with their guy from last season later in round 1.
So, Chicago to move down and get Harrison JR need AZ and LAC to draft after the team that they trade down with. LAC can go multiple ways. WR to replace Williams, OT from PSU to booked the OL for Kyler, DE from UCLA to replace Mack/Bosa. Heck even TE Bowers.
If not, no guarantee they can get MHJ unless they trade either ahead of them or with that team and give up some of the return they get trading down, again assuming that other team wants to trade down.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
One thing that I don’t also undertand is this:

Lately the last 10 top picks have been brought up and how many of them have been able to turn around the worst franchise in the league around(their point is not many)

Bears aren’t the worst team in the league right now, the QB wouldn’t walk into the worst situation. They have another top 10/12 pick coming up to help him.

Passing on Caleb/Harrison would feel similar to having McDavid pick and trading down. When you have a shot at drafting generational prospect you run with it

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
One thing that I don’t also undertand is this:

Lately the last 10 top picks have been brought up and how many of them have been able to turn around the worst franchise in the league around(their point is not many)

Bears aren’t the worst team in the league right now, the QB wouldn’t walk into the worst situation. They have another top 10/12 pick coming up to help him.

Passing on Caleb/Harrison would feel similar to having McDavid pick and trading down. When you have a shot at drafting generational prospect you run with it
Caleb isn't without question marks. Not physical, just mental/emotional. Is he even keeled enough to deal with the ups and downs of an NFL season. Even the best teams lost 3-5 games a season. Can't get down on yourself. Have to lead men.

Bears, going to be hard to land MHJ in a trade down unless it is to #2/3 OA and that team Was/NE right now, truly want Caleb over Maye/Daniels plus the extra picks needed to move up. Or unless AZ beats Seattle to move out of #4 or one of NE/Was win and puts AZ in a position to have a QB option to either take or look to also trade down. But, at #3 AZ could also just take MHJ.

Can't trade behind AZ as I think they would take MHJ. Have to give up at least half the extra haul you get back to try to convince AZ to flip picks. And that's not a certainty.

But, see how the final draft order comes out first.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Caleb isn't without question marks. Not physical, just mental/emotional. Is he even keeled enough to deal with the ups and downs of an NFL season. Even the best teams lost 3-5 games a season. Can't get down on yourself. Have to lead men.

Bears, going to be hard to land MHJ in a trade down unless it is to #2/3 OA and that team Was/NE right now, truly want Caleb over Maye/Daniels plus the extra picks needed to move up. Or unless AZ beats Seattle to move out of #4 or one of NE/Was win and puts AZ in a position to have a QB option to either take or look to also trade down. But, at #3 AZ could also just take MHJ.

Can't trade behind AZ as I think they would take MHJ. Have to give up at least half the extra haul you get back to try to convince AZ to flip picks. And that's not a certainty.

But, see how the final draft order comes out first.

The point is they can’t leave this draft without either.

If you’re not sold on Caleb being better in his prime than Fields you take a generational Wr prospect at 1

I’m not going to listen to any excuses for them messing up this draft after being set up for back to back 1st overalls.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

If you’re not sold on Caleb being better in his prime than Fields you take a generational Wr prospect at 1

I’m not going to listen to any excuses for them messing up this draft after being set up for back to back 1st overalls.
The other option is to net what Miami did with Lance where they went from 3 to 12 and got 2 extra firsts from SF. Traded their own 1 in the following year to get from 12 to 6 to get Waddle.

So net effect to go from 1 to 6 was one extra first.

So, maybe just tell Wash or NE (at this current draft order) call NE to see if they want Caleb for the price of a swap of picks plus their 2025 first and say second in 2026. That way they remain ahead of AZ.

Like if they got basically the from say NYG to go from 1 to 5 like they did with Carolina, say 2 extra first and 2 extra seconds what is the price to pay AZ to flip 4 & 5? Likely a first and second since it’s Harrison JR. who knows. But if the target is MHJ then best to only trade down just far enough to ensure you get him.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Drafting a WR at #1 is messing up a 1st overall pick

And the gap between Harrison and Nabers/Odunze/Coleman is not all that great IMO

Bears can land one of those 3 WR's at #10 if they want to go WR to pair with Moore

Last edited:

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Drafting a WR at #1 is messing up a 1st overall pick

And the gap between Harrison and Nabers/Odunze/Coleman is not all that great IMO

Hawks can land one of those 3 WR's at #10 if they want to go WR to pair with Moore
Yep, especially when you.need a QB.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

On top of that, the immense pressure of history of the Bears never having had a great WR nor a great QB since Sid Luckman.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I dont think it works from a psychology perspective. If it did, I would definitely be on board. I think Fields seems like an awesome guy, but asking him to mentor his replacement in only year 4 in the league is a lot.

I don't think you have to look at it as replacement though. They would be competing for the starting job. I mean how often do one of these top 5 draft pick QBs flunk anyway. If the successor wins out you can trade Fields still for something good with his resume. If new guy can't cut the mustard to beat him then you could give him a fresh start elsewhere too.

Maybe not for the haul you could get tomorrow but gives you some flexibility.

This is actually something I was thinking about, if they drafted Bo Nix or something on Day 2. Everyone going to be tying him to Brock Purdy with comparisons given his experience level.

Bo Nix or Penix Jr I'd be perfectly happy with.

I think they should trade him and try to surround Caleb with better players with the assets.

Or keep Fields and take Harrison and run with Fields- Harrison- Moore.

What they can’t do and what they’ll likely do is ignore the above and trade too far back

I'd rather Harrison than Caleb Williams to be honest. No matter who your QB is you need guys that can go up and get it.

Say Hey Kid

War, children, it's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Screw the 9th pick. Knocking the Pack out is almost as good as making the POs.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Williams, Maye or Daniels

No f***ing way the Bears can bring back Fields
He had Kmet in the end zone if he leads him to the back of the end zone in Q4. Instead he throws it right at him allow #37 to get a bead on it and nearly pick it. Bears settle for 3 to get to 9 points. Have to hit those if you are the franchise QB.

GB got lucky that #34 was not flagged for roughing on Fields. With an extra 15 on that play could have taken a long FG attempt vs punt it pack to GB, but still end result would have been the same since Chicago never stopped GB and got the ball back.

Fields needs to learn to get down earlier. Unless you need to make the line of the gain, go down earlier. Doesn't matter if the guy gets flagged or not. Can't risk getting yourself hurt and the Bears bringing in Peterman or whomever the backup is to take over while you get checked out in the blue tent.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

He knows the situation. Bears passed over Stroud to run it back with Fields. And Stroud just led Houston in the tougher AFC to a division title at 10-7.
Not sure they have that luxury to go back to Fields.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Joe Alt no matter what for the Chargers at 5.
Based on the top 10:
1) Chi - Williams - passed on Stroud last season and I think going with Caleb buys Poles more time.
2) Was - Maye looks the part, but have heard some footwork issues.
3) NE - Daniels
4) AZ - Harrison Jr
5) LAC - Either Fashanu or Alt at OT. Bookend the tackles for Herbert. Fewer padded practices, so better to get the talent at OT and find good WR later. Can also trade down if they want
6) NYG - I'd put Penix Jr. here, but man, I'd be fearful with him on that MetLife turf. Already spend a first on Thomas and Neal at OT, plus a 2nd on the C, so don't see them going OT. Can take Nabers or Odunze at WR, but who's throwing to them if they do that?
7) Ten - Alt or Fashanu as with Chargers, protect Levis first. Can add WR in round 2.
8) Atl - If Penix is there I'd put them here or they try to trade up to LAC ahead of the Giants. Have the weapons, need a distributor for them. Go Odunze, or Latu the DE from UCLA
9) Chi - Odunze or Nabers
10) NYJ - Latham, OT Bama (though I shudder at Bama OL with Neal, Leatherwood, Jonah. Williams (injuries) as Bama hasn't delivered on some highly drafted OL in the NFL). But, Willis, Kelly have been very good.

As a Raiders fan, going for Newton the DL from Illinois at 14. Crosby needs some help. Or trade back if they would rather go OL. But, from a talent POV, Newton seems like a good selection for them as they have to believe that Wilson will be their opposite DE to Crosby and give them something. What has gotten LV was going for position over talent. Ruggs, Arnette, Leatherwood, could have been Wirfs, (any of Jefferson, Aiyuk, Higgins, if Ruggs also gone) and Newsome. Same positions in the end, but different guys at different times. They needed talent, but focussed too much on position over talent when they had multiple holes.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I think NYG is stuck with Jones, not sure they take a QB.

The Vikings tried to trade up last year for Richardson, imagine they do it again, but can't see the top 3 teams moving off taking the QB. Penix scares me. I never like taking the 3rd or 4th QB off the board either. I don't like Nix either and McCarthy seems like a rich mans Kenny Pickett. But I think Cousins re-ups for 1 or 2 years and they walk out of the draft with one of those 3.

But IMO I think if you can't get one of the top 3, you have to go Verse, Latu or Turner. They need help at EDGE, all they have under contract next year is Patrick Jones who is mid at best and UDFA Andre Carter. I'm not sure they'll have the cap room to bring back Hunter if they re-sign Cousins. They still have to pay Jefferson too.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Daniels jones is out until sometime in October with an acl if we go by Kyler’s return date from the time he got hurt. So he’s missing about 1/3 of the season and is going to be behind.

I don’t rule out a QB for them. Would they take the BPA if one of the OT is there for them despite 2/4 first rounders being used on the OL and a 2nd on a C last year? If they take one can Neal function as a OG?

Daniels jones is out until sometime in October with an acl if we go by Kyler’s return date from the time he got hurt. So he’s missing about 1/3 of the season and is going to be behind.

I don’t rule out a QB for them. Would they take the BPA if one of the OT is there for them despite 2/4 first rounders being used on the OL and a 2nd on a C last year? If they take one can Neal function as a OG?

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Penix played himself out of 1st round IMO

His injury history + this performance has cemented him as a 2nd rounder IMO

We shall see but I would peg Bo Nix to go before him at draft now and possibly in 1st round

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Penix played himself out of 1st round IMO

His injury history + this performance has cemented him as a 2nd rounder IMO

We shall see but I would peg Bo Nix to go before him at draft now and possibly in 1st round
One game against the #1 team doesn’t erase an entire body of work. If Penix’s stock dropped drastically on one game, Caleb Williams and Drake Maye might be day 3 picks.

Injuries are what they are but that’s why everyone has doctors.

The biggest questions for Penix will be if he can react quick and get the ball out of his hands in rhythm.

Reactions: LT and RedRocking

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
One game against the #1 team doesn’t erase an entire body of work. If Penix’s stock dropped drastically on one game, Caleb Williams and Drake Maye might be day 3 picks.

Injuries are what they are but that’s why everyone has doctors.

The biggest questions for Penix will be if he can react quick and get the ball out of his hands in rhythm.
I would not bet on a 12 year career or longer for Penix. Ideally he lands with a team that plays on grass. He may only give you 7-9 years before another knee injury. But how long do most coaches last without a QB? 3 tops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad