NFL: Crater for Caleb, Bad play for Maye - Bears clinch #1 pick via Panthers and rest of order set

Status
Not open for further replies.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
The stupidest thing the Pats did was to inform Hoodie that this year was his swan song or let that tidbit leak. Hoodie now has absolutely no reason to tank and you can clearly see he is trying to win more by putting Zappe in there instead of Jones. He wants Shula's record.

• Love
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
AZ has phi and Sea left trying to secure division title and still a shot at a bye plus a team trying to secure a WC spot. Wash has SF and Dal left for that 2nd pick.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Do the bears trade fields if they finish with the 1st overall pick?
What is fields worth with his 5th year option decision due this off season? I figure it’s a conditional pick like a 3rd in 2025 that may be upgraded to a 2nd depending on him taking 80% of the snaps in 2024.

Tanny, Cousins, Jimmy G, and Russ Wilson likey to hit the market as veteran QBs. TB has to decide on Mayfield. Murray’s future is up in the air if AZ maintains a top 2 pick. Plus Fields.

New rookie class would be Williams, Maye, Penix, Daniels, and whoever else.

Atl, TB, NYG, Min, NE, LV, Den looking for new starters from 2023 opening day.

Last edited:

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
What is fields worth with his 5th year option decision due this off season? I figure it’s a conditional pick like a 3rd in 2025 that may be upgraded to a 2nd depending on him taking 80% of the snaps in 2024.

Tanny, Cousins, Jimmy G, and Russ Wilson likey to hit the market as veteran QBs. TB has to decide on Mayfield. Murray’s future is up in the air if AZ maintains a top 2 pick. Plus Fields.

With all the that said do the bears draft a QB or give fields one more season?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Tanny is awful and no team will be bringing him in as a #1 at this point. Hell, he will be 36 so this could be end of road for him

Cousins will have interested parties

Jimmy G will not be anyone's target to be a #1 at this point given his health and decline in play

Broncos are not getting out of Wilson contract this offseason

Reactions: Goalie_Bob

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Tanny is awful and no team will be bringing him in as a #1 at this point. Hell, he will be 36 so this could be end of road for him

Cousins will have interested parties

Jimmy G will not be anyone's target to be a #1 at this point given his health and decline in play

Broncos are not getting out of Wilson contract this offseason
Whether it is 2024 or 2025, it will be costly to move off Russ. All of his 2025 salary becomes guaranteed in March 2024. $37 mill if he’s still on their roster after the first week of the new league year.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
With all the that said do the bears draft a QB or give fields one more season?
Multi-faceted question really.

1) Is the new Prez retaining Poles as gm? I guess yes.
2) Do the Bears plan on retaining Eberflus? If yes, can't be drafting a new QB, like they did with Fields when they gave Nagy 1 more year.
3) If new HC, are you specifically looking for a HC that can work with Fields or going after whom you believe is the best candidate. And then allow that hire to make the call on Fields?

Personally, my thoughts are new HC, which is likely to mean new QB since that HC has a little more time to mold the roster how they want it.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

With what you write is so incredible to hear the talk around Fields vs Caleb, if they were even close at all especially given how many teams are suffering from abysmal QB play Fields would have a much higher value than that.
Even remembering his contract status.

Owners would give up about anything for an elite QB

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
With what you write is so incredible to hear the talk around Fields vs Caleb, if they were even close at all especially given how many teams are suffering from abysmal QB play Fields would have a much higher value than that.
Even remembering his contract status.

Owners would give up about anything for an elite QB
If fields was elite would he be on the market? Rams kept Bradford and dealt the RG3 pick. Titans kept Mariotta and dealt the Wentz pick.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If fields was elite would he be on the market? Rams kept Bradford and dealt the RG3 pick. Titans kept Mariotta and dealt the Wentz pick.

But that’s why the conversation with Fields vs Caleb is so weird.

If you don’g have an elite QB or even great and you have a chance at someone who could be a top 3/5 QB in the game it’s a no brainer.

But then again why if/when all those media people think Bears should keep Fields over Caleb why do they feel at the same time Fields would have such low trade value. When 20 teams in this league are desperate to land a QB and Fields is only 24. The contract isn’t the answer as teams have no issues with spending lot of money on garbage

Last edited:

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Fields is limited. His upside is what it is. He's not terrible but you are not winning a SB with him.

You don't get a chance to have a choice of any QB in a draft very often. The guy might turn out to be nothing, but he has a better chance of being an elite QB than Fields does, and that's all there is to it.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
But then again why if/when all those media people think Bears should keep Fields over Caleb why do they feel at the same time Fields would have such low trade value. When 20 teams in this league are desperate to land a QB and Fields is only 24. The contract isn’t the answer as teams have no issues with spending lot of money on garbage
Fields flashes from time to time with great plays. But, he also misses his reads. It was early in the season vs TB, where 3 different WR were separating from the DB and he just held onto the ball, eventually running out of a clean pocket and into a sack.

I think the only reason some of the talking heads (mostly former players) are saying keep Fields is that likely coming from a player's POV where they don't like to roll the dice and start over with a QB. That the Bears owe it to the other players to try to win vs focus on the development of a QB.

Caleb/Maye/Daniels/Penix/, etc. are no guarantees either. But, it just allows Chicago to restart the clock on the rookie contract and have a cheap option for another 4 seasons.

With Fields, if you are not prepared to pick up his 5th year option right now, then there is no justification to keep him. Cause then you've just given yourself a 1 year window to evaluate him.

Also all tied to the HC. Either you are committed to Eberflus or you allow the next HC to decide on the QB.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Bears again to pick #1

Will they trade down? Draft Williams or Maye #1? Keep Fields?

So many possibilities and going to be months of arguments in Chicago among fans

Big offseason for Poles and direction of franchise

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
My faith in the Bears QB development is so low that I’d rather that they trade down and fill as many holes as possible rather than draft a QB that they’d probably ruin.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Commies and Pats in a dead heat right now for the 2nd pick - both 4-12 with a SOS of .515 according to tankathon.
Now that Snyder is gone from Wash, I do hope they get #2 OA over NE, assuming both lose their final game. But, NE playing NYJ and BB has the Jets number.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Update on SOS: Pats at .518 and Commies at .515

So WSH holds #2 pick by what is most likely a 1 game difference on the SOS side.

Neither team played GB and MIN so this is going to be the scenario going into week 18.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
What a weird situation to be in. The Bears are putting things together similar to how the Lions did last year. Defense seems to be warming to the task. Fields will be a full D+3, so you should think you have an idea on if Fields is the guy, yet we all still have a sense that Fields hasn’t been given the best chance to succeed relative to the talent he has had. Sounds like Eberflus is safe after all. I don’t know if I will ever decide what I think they should do. If they change offensive coordinators, that would be an indication that they’re drafting a new QB.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Like someone said above, I'm not sold on the top two QBs for the same reasons, draft MHJ 1st and give Fields a weapon. If Fields ends up not working out after next season, look at those QBs, but you still have MJH for the next guy to use.

Reactions: Goalie_Bob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad