Confirmed with Link: Craig Smith 5 years, 4.25M AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
We just listed half-a-dozen players, many of whom are in traditional hockey markets who are either barely ahead of Smith, or behind him.

Seems like they're lasting to me.

I'm pretty sure his point wasn't that open-ended. The point being made isn't that guys who producing around what Smith and Wilson are don't last with their respective teams, but rather that it's likely if they were producing these meager amounts on a new (to them) team they wouldn't last.

It's just not uncommon for teams (mgmt and fans alike) to apply certain standards and to have certain expectations for guys who been with them a while and previously had good long stretches, and entirely standards and expectations for newbs to the team.

The Preds have invested into Smith and Wilson, each of whom have shown stretches of better production than they're putting up nowadays, so of course they're gonna get more patience and a longer leash than guys who are new to the team. But if/when Smith and Wilson find themselves traded, then they'll be the new guys on the block and they just won't get the same leash they've been granted on the Preds.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Neither have any value atm, so why people keep hoping or expecting them to get traded is beyond me. For better or worse they are here, so you might as well hope for the best for a while, unless like I said, Poile pulls something out of his ass again.

All of those lists of guys also tells you something, these type of guys get several years to prove they can do it. We are just over half way of their first year under new contracts, they aren't going to be moved, especially Smith who has has two 20+ seasons prior to this.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Neither have any value atm, so why people keep hoping or expecting them to get traded is beyond me. For better or worse they are here, so you might as well hope for the best for a while, unless like I said, Poile pulls something out of his ass again.

All of those lists of guys also tells you something, these type of guys get several years to prove they can do it. We are just over half way of their first year under new contracts, they aren't going to be moved, especially Smith who has has two 20+ seasons prior to this.

Off the top I'm in total agreement. I mean, with respect to the lack of value at the moment and keeping in mind that they've got two good years behind them and are even now only half a year into new contracts.

On the other hand, I think it was The Great One who proved the rule that no guy is untouchable and for a recent example of how anyone can get a return you've got Kassian and his issues.

A trading partner could always figure that Smith and/or Wilson just need that cliche "new scenery", for example. But any which way, having 2 20+ seasons doesn't make or break a guy, in fact it's not altogether special or indicative of the future. Just ask Hodgson ;-)

RyanGetzlafsHairline*

But any which way, having 2 20+ seasons doesn't make or break a guy, in fact it's not altogether special or indicative of the future. Just ask Hodgson ;-)

I'll be sure to do that, if he ever manages to accumulate 2 20 goal seasons... What's with your love affair with Cody Hodgson?

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
I'll be sure to do that, if he ever manages to accumulate 2 20 goal seasons... What's with your love affair with Cody Hodgson?

Hodgson hit 19, 15 and 20 as a rookie, short season, and full sophomore. Put that to a per game played basis, and he actually paced for 19, 26 and 23 goals. Would you like to talk points next or are you just popping in here to dicker over tiny digits while dissing someone for poking fun at a fav player?

Talk about a character issue ;)

RyanGetzlafsHairline*

Hodgson hit 19, 15 and 20 as a rookie, short season, and full sophomore. Put that to a per game played basis, and he actually paced for 19, 26 and 23 goals. Would you like to talk points next or are you just popping in here to dicker over tiny digits while dissing someone for poking fun at a fav player?

Talk about a character issue ;)

Projections and pace don't mean anything. Johansen is on an 82 point pace since joining the Preds this season, Colin Wilson was on a 60+ point pace a couple of seasons ago. Not a single team in the NHL thought enough of Cody Hodgson to even give him a shot at a near league minimum salary. That's all I need to know about him and I certainly don't see the point of bringing him up in every single thread.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Projections and pace don't mean anything. Johansen is on an 82 point pace since joining the Preds this season, Colin Wilson was on a 60+ point pace a couple of seasons ago. Not a single team in the NHL thought enough of Cody Hodgson to even give him a shot at a near league minimum salary. That's all I need to know about him and I certainly don't see the point of bringing him up in every single thread.

Really? You want to dicker over 1 goal? You're in a mood because I used Hodgson's name when he's arguably the most relevant example for the point actually being discussed? Really?

Tell ya what, name me one other player for the Preds this year who 1] signed up as a newb and 2] didn't last, and I'll consider using that guy for my next example. In the meanwhile, you can take your "love affair" dissing and shove it with your mood.

Oh yeah, and FYI, cuz seeing how you didn't clue in in the first place - I was actually poking fun at the kid with the mention. You're the one going on about the kid. Sheesh. :shakehead

RyanGetzlafsHairline*

Every time I see you post I'm reminded of a charming little film from 1987. You're Glenn Close, Hodgson is Michael Douglas. Creeps me out is all... Carry on...

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Every time I see you post I'm reminded of a charming little film from 1987. You're Glenn Close, Hodgson is Michael Douglas. Creeps me out is all... Carry on...

I creep you out? What type of person are you to go so far with your lame (and sick) put downs of others?

You'd be better off taking a step back and fessing up that your dissing kick was both misplaced (you really want to dicker over 1 goal in a rookie year and entirely forget half a season to pretend your insert is remotely accurate? lol) and unwarranted (gee, guess you can't come up with a better example of the point actually being made either huh? go figure;)).

But instead you'd clearly rather push on, dissing someone else to deflect from the fact you had nothing to add to the discussion other than a fallacy you clearly can't even try to defend and a personal slight for the heck of it all...

For what it's worth, you're not "creeping me out". You're simply reminding me of the little girl my grandson recently realized he ought not to be bothered with - the type who is of such poor character that she can't help herself from insulting others with rude, and entirely senseless, put downs.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Guys, please stop.

Mike, love your passion but Getz is right, most of your posts are driven around Hodgson. It does get a bit out of hand sometimes.

Getz, while I agree his posts contain a lot of Hodgson in them, no need to insult him.

Would love for both of you to just stop and discuss Smith, his production and his contract. Thanks.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Guys, please stop.

Mike, love your passion but Getz is right, most of your posts are driven around Hodgson. It does get a bit out of hand sometimes.

Getz, while I agree his posts contain a lot of Hodgson in them, no need to insult him.

Would love for both of you to just stop and discuss Smith, his production and his contract. Thanks.

lol, you're awesome Glenn. Though really, if people actually read what's being posted rather than jumping in with thinly veiled dissing about another's love life, we may just discover that certain references are totally relevant.

And with that in mind along with your request to yak about Smith (and presumably Wilson is okay too ;)), the point being made by some around here stands true - if and when Smith/Wilson are traded, they ain't likely to get nearly as much a long leash as they've gotten with the Preds this year. For lack of any other recent example we can all relate to, Hodgson is a prime example of what comes when a newb shows up on the roster tasked to fill a certain role and doesn't - newbs just don't get the same leash or patience. Neither will Smith or Wilson if either are traded.

So, if they really are "just usually snake bit", they better pray they don't get traded. Really. Their ice time is safer if they stay on the Preds.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Wish I could take credit for these but I found them in an article.

Craig Smith was cut from his high school dive team because he could never actually make it into the water.
•In an alternate universe, Craig Smith was counted on to shoot proton torpedoes into the Death Star's exhaust port. He sent them high and wide.
•Growing up in Wisconsin, Craig Smith visited his relatives' dairy farm every summer. In a strange architectural decision, his aunt and uncle decided to build all the cow ports and equipment storage facilities without walls. That's why Craig Smith can't hit the broad side of a barn.
•Teammates refuse to play darts with Craig Smith.
•Voice commands on cell phones were a game changer for Craig Smith, who had not dialed a correct number in over a decade.
•The Predators were going to unveil player specific voice navigation for several different GPS apps, but scrapped the project when the Craig Smith setting kept ending drivers two blocks away from their destination.
•Craig Smith's dogs love it when he attempts to make omelets or flapjacks
•Over the summer, Craig Smith tried out for an intramural baseball team. He did not get selected

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
I don't but the link was advertised about Smiths failures so you know I had to click on the link and see what its all about. Saw the link of google.

Is that how you spend your mornings? Googling Smith's failures?

Just poking some harmless fun, love ya byrd

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Is that how you spend your mornings? Googling Smith's failures?

Just poking some harmless fun, love ya byrd

Not lookin for Smith inparticular but this morning it was. Im even more focused there now. If Smith finishes with 20 I have to change my avatar to a pretty revolting pic due to a bet. But im not going to lose the bet. 21 games to go and I do have cause to watch Smiths stats close for these games. its all about probabilities now. Like Smith has 2 goals against Dallas this year and none against St Louis.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
Not lookin for Smith inparticular but this morning it was. Im even more focused there now. If Smith finishes with 20 I have to change my avatar to a pretty revolting pic due to a bet. But im not going to lose the bet. 21 games to go and I do have cause to watch Smiths stats close for these games. its all about probabilities now. Like Smith has 2 goals against Dallas this year and none against St Louis.

I honestly like this bet for you. I think he falls short.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I think it ends up being a lot closer than he wants it to be though :popcorn:

After 61 games he is scoring a goal every 4.69 games. Unless he reels off a hatty hes not got much of a chance. He is also due one of his 7 to 12 game pointless streaks. Anything is possible Eric Nystrom holds the record for most goals in a game in a Preds sweater.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I think he hits 20. Even if he does not, if he plays the way he has the last 10-15 games to finish this season, I will be pleased. The 2nd line has been excellent during this stretch.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
I think he hits 20. Even if he does not, if he plays the way he has the last 10-15 games to finish this season, I will be pleased. The 2nd line has been excellent during this stretch.

I don't think he'll actually hit 20 for the regular season. That said, I agree with the sentiment.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015

Bump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad