Confirmed with Link: Craig Smith 5 years, 4.25M AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Ok Wilson is making right at 4 mil over the next 3 years and is damn near untradeable. Whats to talk about Wilson. BTW this post has nothing to do with anything you have said other than you were the one who origianly asked me why I did not scald Neal like I do Smith. Well Neal rebounded. Smith regressed. 21 goals and 37 points is not getting it done. There are a handful of you guys that will stay on that sinking ship til you drown fine. But when facts and numbers are posted why go after the poster instead of asking yourself why Did Neal rebound and Wilson and Smith fail after a contract year. It is more convenient to say ole Byrddog the hater that predicted Smith would have 19 goals is sooooooooo wrong.

I never said you were wrong. I just don't get your criticisms. I don't see 2 less goals as a regression, to me he would have had to drop off to the 18 or less to even start considering it aka Wilson.

And as far as the points go, some players are scorers (alot more goals than assists), some are playmakers (alot more assists than goals) and then some are both.

Another two guys I don't see you complaining about scoring are Ribeiro with his 7 goals for 3.5M and Fisher with his 13 goals at 4.4M.

Oh well, they aren't problems, only the guy who has put up more than 20 in each of the last 3 years.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Well, for the record, Wilson is untradeable because he sucks and isn't doing squat while making 4 million a year. By the same logic, Smith would be tradeable for a lot of teams because he's producing at an acceptable level for what he's getting paid.

Mr Smith yes I remember your last name. haha What if Crag drops to say 17 goals next year which is entirely possible and 15 the next season. Is he stilla 4 mil guy? What is the breaking point im curious.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Mr Smith yes I remember your last name. haha What if Crag drops to say 17 goals next year which is entirely possible and 15 the next season. Is he stilla 4 mil guy? What is the breaking point im curious.

Until he does, this is no different than saying "If I were President I would do this and that". He has so far earned his money unlike others.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
We have 9.4M cap space and coming off the books:
Jax 2M
Goose 3.25M
Ny 2.5M
Ribs 3.5
Fish 4.4 = 25.05M cap space and in 2-3 years the cap will rise 3-4M overall? Yeah, we don't have cap troubles.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I never said you were wrong. I just don't get your criticisms. I don't see 2 less goals as a regression, to me he would have had to drop off to the 18 or less to even start considering it aka Wilson.

And as far as the points go, some players are scorers (alot more goals than assists), some are playmakers (alot more assists than goals) and then some are both.

Another two guys I don't see you complaining about scoring are Ribeiro with his 7 goals for 3.5M and Fisher with his 13 goals at 4.4M.

Oh well, they aren't problems, only the guy who has put up more than 20 in each of the last 3 years.

If you recall before Poile signed Fish and Riberio I did not want Ribs signed. Fish I am really disappointed in. We are going to eat those contracts just like having to Eat Wilsons and Nystroms for that matter. Riberio has not been a scorer for some time he like Johanson is a point guy. If Johanson has a 20 goal season for us hes going to top 80 points more than likely. But he will need FF9 back on that line to do that. FF9 RJ and Neal is a stout line which has been broke up to get some life out of the 2nd. Nothing Lavi tried spured Smith and Ribs until he put FF down a line. And Jarnkrok that poor lil shrimp is out of his class. Sue he had a career year but hes not top 6 material either.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
If you recall before Poile signed Fish and Riberio I did not want Ribs signed. Fish I am really disappointed in. We are going to eat those contracts just like having to Eat Wilsons and Nystroms for that matter. Riberio has not been a scorer for some time he like Johanson is a point guy. If Johanson has a 20 goal season for us hes going to top 80 points more than likely. But he will need FF9 back on that line to do that. FF9 RJ and Neal is a stout line which has been broke up to get some life out of the 2nd. Nothing Lavi tried spured Smith and Ribs until he put FF down a line. And Jarnkrok that poor lil shrimp is out of his class. Sue he had a career year but hes not top 6 material either.

Johansen has scored 33 and 26 goals in the previous two seasons. He had a slow year this year, but not expecting more than 20 out of him next season seems odd.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
We have 9.4M cap space and coming off the books:
Jax 2M
Goose 3.25M
Ny 2.5M
Ribs 3.5
Fish 4.4 = 25.05M cap space and in 2-3 years the cap will rise 3-4M overall? Yeah, we don't have cap troubles.

There is no guarantee the cap will even go up this year. And is projected to drop 3 mil in 2018. And again those warm bodies that move out must be replaced. I suppose Poile could go out and get a couple more Nystrom 5 goal 12 point guys for under 750k but the roster is getting loaded with young guys now almost to the breaking point of falling out of competing for a playoff position is that your answer?

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
And you are sticking you head in the sand. Forsberg will get 6mil or more this summer and Johanson 6.5 to 7 the next or he will walk and Neal another 30 goal season next year will be looking at more than 7. And all you guys that spout losing goose nystroma dn the other well those warm bodies will have to be replaced with someone. And if there not upgrades then the team is at a standstill. Also Rinne and Weber are falling off Weber can be somewhat hid in his fall-off but Rinne sure can't and that 7 mil is tattooed for years. So just ignore what is obvious to even some of the talking heads. You ask who Well Darrin Dreger was on who pointed out exactly what I posted on NHL live the day before the trade deadline and said that was one reason Poile was not going to add another large contract.

What happened to them making $6...you went up. Well, these insanely expensive warm bodies we'll need have on the 4th line have already been signed. Neal already makes $5 mil, so he'll get an extra $2 mil (not until 2 years from now). Johansen's hit is $3 mil, so count him for $4 mil. So, with Forsberg, that's an extra $12 million. Goose and Nystrom alone are $6 of that. We're already $9 mil under. And if you want to bring up Rinne....he's up in 3 years. So there's only a one-season overlap.

Again....the numbers add up and it's really not even close. I really don't know why you're worried.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
There is no guarantee the cap will even go up this year. And is projected to drop 3 mil in 2018. And again those warm bodies that move out must be replaced. I suppose Poile could go out and get a couple more Nystrom 5 goal 12 point guys for under 750k but the roster is getting loaded with young guys now almost to the breaking point of falling out of competing for a playoff position is that your answer?

Why are you so concerned with replacing Nystom and Gaustad, a couple of healthy scratches???

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Johansen has scored 33 and 26 goals in the previous two seasons. He had a slow year this year, but not expecting more than 20 out of him next season seems odd.

If he has more than that were all gonna be praising that guy just like Forsberg. Johanson creates plays better than anyone who ever wore this sweater.. Well absent Foppa who was a reclic by then. The only thing that concerns me about Johanson is his contract negations. He played hardball with the Bugs as a RFA and you can bet Poile will want him locked up long term. So he and Forsberg are going to break the bank. The theres Neal to sign too with no gaurntee of a cap increase. Like I said in another post The TV talking heads addressed it though it was long after I started talking about it.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
What happened to them making $6...you went up. Well, these insanely expensive warm bodies we'll need have on the 4th line have already been signed. Neal already makes $5 mil, so he'll get an extra $2 mil (not until 2 years from now). Johansen's hit is $3 mil, so count him for $4 mil. So, with Forsberg, that's an extra $12 million. Goose and Nystrom alone are $6 of that. We're already $9 mil under. And if you want to bring up Rinne....he's up in 3 years. So there's only a one-season overlap.

Again....the numbers add up and it's really not even close. I really don't know why you're worried.

Poile needs 5 contracts for next year one of which is Forsberg. FF is a min of 6 mil I think it will be more so lets just spitball the rest are 1 mil avg some will be higher some lower that's 11mil now that 11mil is added to the 41.3 for 18 puts you at 59.3 with RJ plus 5 more to sign so 59.3 spent go cheap RJ signs for 6 and you avg 1 mil per again for the remainder your at 70.1 The next year is a small number to sign Neal + 2 again go cheap neal says ah hell I will sing for 6 the other two get 1 mil avg your at 78.1. There are rumblings that the NHPLA do not want to sign the escalator this time if they do not next years cap drops to +69 mil The cap is projected to be flat to down 3 mil the year after that. Now if they sign the escalator next year could be as high as 74 mil setting good, The next season they will need the escalator to remain at 74 otherwise they drop so this is where the trouble will be then the year afterward the cap is projected to rise by 2 mil so at tops its 76 mil from the projections I have read and going bare bones the Preds are at 78. Now this team will not be the only one suffering. Right now there are 5 that are in trouble but like Dreger said unless the cap goes up the Preds and 5 others who are at the midpoint will face the cap max. He went on to say that is why he thought Poile would not add on trade deadline day and Poile did not.

All in all just resigning what we have this team drops from being competitive for a playoff spot as early as next season mainly due to Rinne regressing. And this would not reverse until Sarro's is ready to step in in a BIG way. So nuts to bolts this is why paying Smith 4 mil bothers me. I would prefer to pay a 20 goal scorer 3 mil save that mil for the contracts where it will keep the big three now.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Poile needs 5 contracts for next year one of which is Forsberg. FF is a min of 6 mil I think it will be more so lets just spitball the rest are 1 mil avg some will be higher some lower that's 11mil now that 11mil is added to the 41.3 for 18 puts you at 59.3 with RJ plus 5 more to sign so 59.3 spent go cheap RJ signs for 6 and you avg 1 mil per again for the remainder your at 70.1 The next year is a small number to sign Neal + 2 again go cheap neal says ah hell I will sing for 6 the other two get 1 mil avg your at 78.1. There are rumblings that the NHPLA do not want to sign the escalator this time if they do not next years cap drops to +69 mil The cap is projected to be flat to down 3 mil the year after that. Now if they sign the escalator next year could be as high as 74 mil setting good, The next season they will need the escalator to remain at 74 otherwise they drop so this is where the trouble will be then the year afterward the cap is projected to rise by 2 mil so at tops its 76 mil from the projections I have read and going bare bones the Preds are at 78. Now this team will not be the only one suffering. Right now there are 5 that are in trouble but like Dreger said unless the cap goes up the Preds and 5 others who are at the midpoint will face the cap max. He went on to say that is why he thought Poile would not add on trade deadline day and Poile did not.

All in all just resigning what we have this team drops from being competitive for a playoff spot as early as next season mainly due to Rinne regressing. And this would not reverse until Sarro's is ready to step in in a BIG way. So nuts to bolts this is why paying Smith 4 mil bothers me. I would prefer to pay a 20 goal scorer 3 mil save that mil for the contracts where it will keep the big three now.

Forsberg is really the major money draw here with increased cap hit.

If Joey signs for 6, that is just 2 added to your 59 cap hit from the previous year, not 6 as he was making 4 and that was included in the 59.

Resigning Watson in 2 years or a guy like that would take care of the 4th line as Goose will be replaced with Sissons next year, Salomaki is good for another year as well. I don't see Watson and Salomaki getting huge raises. With that

Goose drops 3.25 off this year, Nystrom drops 2.5 off next year. Of that 5.75 freed up the two 4th liner guys being re-signed may take 1-1.5M of it, that still leaves 3-4M + whatever we are under to spend elsewhere.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Forsberg is really the major money draw here with increased cap hit.

If Joey signs for 6, that is just 2 added to your 59 cap hit from the previous year, not 6 as he was making 4 and that was included in the 59.

Resigning Watson in 2 years or a guy like that would take care of the 4th line as Goose will be replaced with Sissons next year, Salomaki is good for another year as well. I don't see Watson and Salomaki getting huge raises. With that

Goose drops 3.25 off this year, Nystrom drops 2.5 off next year. Of that 5.75 freed up the two 4th liner guys being re-signed may take 1-1.5M of it, that still leaves 3-4M + whatever we are under to spend elsewhere.

I will take one last attempt to make this as simple as possible in spring of 2018 If we sign no one until then there is 35mil under contract, there are 6 roster players represented If Neal FF and Johanson take 18 in cap the team is at 53 mil leaving 21 mil in cap space to fill the rest of the roster if the cap remains at 74 which it may not. The team must have 20 players but more years than not Poile carries 22 or 23 which is the max. If he carries 23 there will be 21 mil to spend on them or an average of 1.5 mil per. This is bare bones no taking into consideration Johanson would only make 2 mil more or confusing math. 1.5 mil players do not look all that great and if Johanson does playhardball and Neal as well there both gonna get more than the 6 mil I used in the example. SO you can think everything is fine. And if something changes and the cap does increase it could be. But the team is worse off in 3 years than they are tpoday due to the age of Rinne and Weber and there hit. SO there will have to be some change. And again im not the only person who has seen this looimg in the distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00