Rumor: Craig Morgan: Coyotes Looking for “Gritty” 5-7 D

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Could of just claimed Dylan Mcilrath. Cheap, does a semi decent job in his own zone defensively, zero offensive talent, and could go toe to toe with Reaves, Looch, Johnson, and Wilson.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
had this p1 post 14
make it easy for @rt
cond 7th is enuf
I’ve been here in HF trying to tell people Brendan Smith is trash since he was 18 years old. I remember Red Wings fans saying they’d never need to trade for Yandle because Smith was easily going to be a much better version. Smith sucks at any price.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I’ve been here in HF trying to tell people Brendan Smith is trash since he was 18 years old. I remember Red Wings fans saying they’d never need to trade for Yandle because Smith was easily going to be a much better version. Smith sucks at any price.
fair enough
only brought up since he fit OP

philb613

Feb 9, 2011
Ottawa
Boro's your man if you guys are able to hang on to a playoff spot he'd be a perfect 3rd pairing gritty guy for you. Probably only cost a mid/late round pick and B or C level prospect. Only issue is don't see him getting traded until closer to deadline as he's such a good professional and leader in Ottawa.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
For 2 million and a 7th round pick, Smith is good insurance if a team has a defenseman go down or 4th line forward. He can play both. It's a low risk move. On a more veteran team with tighter defense, he should do better.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
So a physical, gritty shut-down D, with great analytics, who is a swift skater and a great passer in three zones? But who also happens to be a bottom pairing D rather than an NHL All-Star?
I think the Coyotes should try to bring in a 4D/5D type of player. A 4D on a poor team and a 5D on a good team. The team could have other D injuries besides Hammer like they have now, would need the player to go into top 4. Coyotes already have arguably 3 #6D's, replacing them with a tiny upgrade isn't a great solution in my opinion.I would rather give up a pick or forward like Hino or Fischer to get a more solid 4/5D.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think the Coyotes should try to bring in a 4D/5D type of player. A 4D on a poor team and a 5D on a good team. The team could have other D injuries besides Hammer like they have now, would need the player to go into top 4. Coyotes already have arguably 3 #6D's, replacing them with a tiny upgrade isn't a great solution in my opinion.I would rather give up a pick or forward like Hino or Fischer to get a more solid 4/5D.
Brendan Dillon was mentioned earlier. He’d be pretty ideal.

Reactions: cobra427

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Jordie Benn fits the bill perfectly but is signed for 1 more year after this one. Not sure if Arizona would want the extra year.

Good, tough, defensive minded #5 LHD. 32 years old.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad