Rumor: Craig Morgan: Coyotes Looking for “Gritty” 5-7 D

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Coyotes best writer Craig Morgan (who only reports what he’s told by the team) is a rock solid source. In his latest article in The Athletic he wrote:

“Even when Hjalmarsson returns, the Coyotes may be in the market for another defenseman. Two sources said the Coyotes are exploring the possibility of adding a defenseman with a combination of grit and skill who could join the depth chart as a third-pair or No. 7 option.”

The article goes on to say they need a heavier presence at the bottom of their blueline and their current 5-7 options are pushed around too easily.

Neutral Zone: Hjalmarsson is on the mend, but Coyotes may... Neutral Zone: Hjalmarsson is on the mend, but Coyotes may need more defensive depth

So as I look at the bottom of the standings, the first name I see is Dylan McIlrath in Detroit. Then there’s Kurtis McDermid in LA. Finally I see Nick Seeler in Minnesota.

Thoughts on those three names? Are there any others we should be looking at? Who else fits the bill?

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
8471677.jpg

Please?

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
Matt Benning he can hit and (some how) get points so there you go???

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
McIlrath is definitely gritty, doesn't really contribute anything offensively but he's pretty decent defensively and he protects his teammates. Detroit is thin on D with all the injuries we have so I don't think we can afford to move him at the moment.

rt

May 13, 2004
I don't think the Flyers are interested in trading him. Seems like he is well loved in the city.
I didn’t want to use that word for this reason but it’s the one the writer chose. As I posted the thread I wished he’d used “physical” instead. But then there’d be jokes about D existing in the incorporeal realm, etc.

rt

May 13, 2004
McIlrath is definitely gritty, doesn't really contribute anything offensively but he's pretty decent defensively and he protects his teammates. Detroit is thin on D with all the injuries we have so I don't think we can afford to move him at the moment.
I could see one of Ness or Lyubushkin going back the other way.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Brendan Smith. 4.35 expires after next season
Rangers will retain half = 2.175.
If nec, you can later bury in minors, or, deal retained one more time (half of that on remaining balance of term) if you need to recover roster/cap space.
shoots left, plays either, but can also do 4LW
has grit and not much else
Cond 7th only demanded.
Rangers want to make space for other D.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
can we sell john moore as gritty? kevan miller fits the bill but i wouldn't trade him personally.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I can't think of a better way to attract every other teams garbage defenseman. 'Gritty 5-7' well as others said from the Pens - Jack Johnson.

He's a 'gritty' crease clearer, excellent pk'er, and a #6 dman. He's signed for a few more years so security and he's worn an A so leadership qualities as well... It'll be tough to persuade us but for the right pick/prospect he can be all yours.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
I could see one of Ness or Lyubushkin going back the other way.

I think there would need to be some extra incentive for Detroit, maybe a late round pick. McIlrath has a lot of fans in Detroit and Grand Rapids but I don't think he's untouchable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad