Craig MacTavish meeting the media

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That trade needed to be made last season, in the summer or during the first 15 games when the reward would have helped this season. At this point, why bother? No matter who you get it isn't going to make the least bit of difference in this season, except to maybe make the draft pick worse which won't help the Oil.

Unless you're getting an OEL, Subban, Piets or Weber, keep it and draft the stud D that everyone outside of the Edmonton brain thrusts knows will be avialble to them in June.

How is it not going to make a difference? If we do nothing we risk guys wanting out and having less UFA's wanting to come here. Maybe the playoffs aren't achievable, but getting out of the bottom 10 sure as hell is.

Finishing the year on a high and going into next year is a lot better then us back at the lotto show on TSN.

Billybaroo*

lol let me guess nothing was tambos fault when he was here according to you and the happy brigade right? nothing was rennies fault, nothing was krugers fault, nothing is mact's fault.

This is why the optimists club on this site and in the media is such a sheer and utter joke. MacT will be gone some time, the next guy will be in line and then you'll be saying....what! Are you saying it is Buckys fault that mact screweed up the oilers?

What does all this nonsense have to do with pinning this fiasco on the guy who has been GM for 6 months?

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I dunno. That rationale seems to work for a lot on this board when it comes to Yak. Like its everybody else fault. The Media, his teammates, coaches. Everybody but Yak

The big difference is 'Yak' is getting called out for it and is being benched and 4th lined for his poor play. The rest are not.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
I'm pretty sure you put our 1st and Klefbom on the block and this team can find some pretty good pieces.

but why offer up the 1st when it'll likely be a top 3 pick (maybe #1) and they could get a stud defenseman then? doesn't make any sense.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think it may also be more that he gave Gagner his word, lol, also that they are paper thin at center depth so that might spare Gagner.

RNH, Arcobello and Gordon are all better centers than Gagner but hey let's pay him $4.8 million to continue sucking on defense because MacT was dumb enough to give him a verbal NTC for this season. Good job Maclown.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
What does all this nonsense have to do with pinning this fiasco on the guy who has been GM for 6 months?

My post was in direct response to the other poster. And what does it have to do with it? It's a never ending issue with this team. Team sucks, defend the guy who is here, blame the guy before him. Gm or coach is changed. defend the new guy, blame the guy before him. New coach or Gm, now defend the new guy and blame the guy before him.

Meanwhile the team has been in the sewer for 7 years and each new guy gets the gift of "Oh he's only been here for a year, give him a chance to turn things around!"

This one is even worse than normal though because this gm the day he was hired bleated about not being patient, wanting to win now, there being no excuses for youth, etc etc. A few months later when the team is worse than ever before we get the inevitable 'patience, blame it on the previous guy nonsense.'

Billybaroo*

The big difference is 'Yak' is getting called out for it and is being benched and 4th lined for his poor play. The rest are not.

Ahh no. Not by the Yak apologists on this board.
Only by his coaches, god forbid.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
How is it not going to make a difference? If we do nothing we risk guys wanting out and having less UFA's wanting to come here. Maybe the playoffs aren't achievable, but getting out of the bottom 10 sure as hell is.

Finishing the year on a high and going into next year is a lot better then us back at the lotto show on TSN.

Wasn't that supposed to be the mantra last year?

I was all prepared for them to trade the pick since the middle of last season. That didn't happen and at this point all I envision is them giving it away for a couple of minor defence prospects or a tweener that may or may not help 3-4 years from now. I take the stud that can walk into the lineup next season rather than trust this group to make the right moves.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
RNH, Arcobello and Gordon are all better centers than Gagner but hey let's pay him $4.8 million to continue sucking on defense because MacT was dumb enough to give him a verbal NTC for this season. Good job Maclown.

He never should've been signed in the first place, decent player, but the mix in the top six with the lack of size is just stupid. It's going to take forever to become competitive with players this small.

Billybaroo*

My post was in direct response to the other poster. And what does it have to do with it? It's a never ending issue with this team. Team sucks, defend the guy who is here, blame the guy before him. Gm or coach is changed. defend the new guy, blame the guy before him. New coach or Gm, now defend the new guy and blame the guy before him.

Meanwhile the team has been in the sewer for 7 years and each new guy gets the gift of "Oh he's only been here for a year, give him a chance to turn things around!"

This one is even worse than normal though because this gm the day he was hired bleated about not being patient, wanting to win now, there being no excuses for youth, etc etc. A few months later when the team is worse than ever before we get the inevitable 'patience, blame it on the previous guy nonsense.'

Well, you somehow think MacT is to blame for assembling this roster? You seem to blame him for a lot, which is illogical.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
lol let me guess nothing was tambos fault when he was here according to you and the happy brigade right? nothing was rennies fault, nothing was krugers fault, nothing is mact's fault.

This is why the optimists club on this site and in the media is such a sheer and utter joke. MacT will be gone some time, the next guy will be in line and then you'll be saying....what! Are you saying it is Buckys fault that mact screweed up the oilers?

Whoops! Didn't realize I had clicked on the "primal scream therapy" thread.

I'll show myself out.

grandpa-simpson-gif.gif

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
My favorite part of HF:

MacT adament he won't trade the core but the 1st is in play.

and...

Posters start proposing deals where we're trading core pieces.

Never change HF, never change.

MacT also thought we were going to compete for the playoffs, I'm not sure anything is out of question. If the losses keep piling up, I wouldn't be surprised to see something more impactful happening in advance of the pick being traded.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Watch Rishaug find a way to rip on Yakupov again.

**** man. Heard that Rishaug thing on the radio the other day.

He ripped Yakupov to pieces, threw out the pieces, and continued to rip at the torn shards of flesh he left at the scene.

I used to like that guy. He's a friggin tool.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton

Alot of the Mact supporters like to forget this

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
The thing people are forgetting when talking about making the big deal is not the value we can offer it's who wants to make a trade. Teams that have high end Dmen and big forwards with skill are not offering them up as in many cases they either are contending or are terrified of letting go the face of the franchise which may piss off fans. (Not every team in this league has sell outs.)

A vast majority of trade proposals out there are not viable, not because of what the oilers are going to offer but because the player being talked about is not available. The odd time a prime guy may become available but then there is huge competition to get him.

Exactly. He's going to have to severely overpay, because these assets are in demand by everybody. I'm already resigned to that. Won't be like getting Thornton for Sturm & Stuart or whoever.

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
**** man. Heard that Rishaug thing on the radio the other day.

He ripped Yakupov to pieces, threw out the pieces, and continued to rip at the torn shards of flesh he left at the scene.

I used to like that guy. He's a friggin tool.

I wonder if that dumb **** thinks that if he runs Yak out of town, he'll get a raise. :laugh:

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003
lol everyone complains about the media here being soft.

Rishaug asks tough questions of Yak, after his agent publicly demands more ice time.

Everyone hates on Rishaug.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Alot of the Mact supporters like to forget this

Nope. But some of us figured it might take longer than six months to turn things around and that the team wasn't exactly built in a way that it could weather things like a goaltending meltdown.

nullterm

Dec 8, 2007
Port Moody, BC
I wonder if that dumb **** thinks that if he runs Yak out of town, he'll get a raise. :laugh:

I legitimately think that the Edm media guys consider it a feather in their cap if they can run a player out of town and hurt the team in the process. These so called reporters need to stick to facts and put the knives away.

AVE MAN

Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
MacT was dumb enough to give him a verbal NTC for this season. Good job Maclown.

Didn't Mac also give Krueger a verbal that he'd be back? Not too worried about the verbal with Gagner. If there's a deal to be made, he'll be dealt. There's a reason why the NTC wasn't in writing IMO.

Billybaroo*

Yeah, god forbid a media guy asks some tough questions of poor olé Yak after he & his agent go running , whining to the media over his icetime.
What a joke.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
Nope. But some of us figured it might take longer than six months to turn things around and that the team wasn't exactly built in a way that it could weather things like a goaltending meltdown.

Its weird that the guy in charge didn't anticipate that. I think you should be GM ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad