Confirmed with Link: Craig Conroy Named Flames General Manager, Dave Nonis AGM/Senior VP Hockey Ops

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I think Conroy is a solid choice. My preference was him or Hunter. Now onto the coach!
If you are talking about Hunter....as In Mark Hunter...I think you got the better choice and dodged a bullet. Hunter is good at drafting but there are other things that I think would send you guys to fits IMO.
Good:

Bad:

I don't think that's bad IMO, you can be a terrible regular-season team and be a great playoff-built team with a hot-ass goalie.

Or be like the leafs

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Question to Maloney about defining what his idea of a progressive candidate he was describing during the initial press conference.
Answer was basically "someone who isn't an MIT grad and the smartest person, but rather someone who lives in Calgary and is nice"

Kay.
lol Yeah I was trying to follow what he was saying. I think Maloney tends to talk himself into a hole when he has to speak to the media

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Asset management from a Flames GM would be incredible.
I guess that means Conroy's first job is to figure out
1) Lindholm is he open to stay with the new management. If non committal he has to be traded by or at the draft to maximize return.
1a) Backlund - ask him what he wants and if its a trade to a contender ask him which team he would prefer.
2) Hanifin - same as Lindholm
3) Toffoli is he an offseason or the deadline trade or just let him walk after next season
4) Tanev - ask him if he would like a trade to a true contender or not.
5) Zadorov - meh don't care as long as if he is extended the AAV is in the $2 to $2.5M range otherwise ditch him
6) Kylington - he's the keeper

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
They should have included a version of Craig from every season he was with the flames

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
sounds like we are going to trade some of those UFAs.

I guess that means Conroy's first job is to figure out
1) Lindholm is he open to stay with the new management. If non committal he has to be traded by or at the draft to maximize return.
1a) Backlund - ask him what he wants and if its a trade to a contender ask him which team he would prefer.
2) Hanifin - same as Lindholm
3) Toffoli is he an offseason or the deadline trade or just let him walk after next season
4) Tanev - ask him if he would like a trade to a true contender or not.
5) Zadorov - meh don't care as long as if he is extended the AAV is in the $2 to $2.5M range otherwise ditch him
6) Kylington - he's the keeper
You think Zadorov is only worth 2 million?

I also bet you think the Flames are soff and could use more grit :eyeroll:

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
As much as I'm unsure about Conroy it's hard not to be happy for the guy he has paid his dues and clearly loves the team. I really want him to get a offensive style coach like Brunette and hopefully be more open minded to the younger guys making the squad

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
This picture but they're holding cigars after winning the cup in 2024.
craig-conroy-don-maloney.JPG

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Conroy was a good signing in my view.

His experiences as a player over sixteen years and 1009 games including a number of years as a Captain before moving into management will demand respect by the room.

He is young enough to connect with the young guys and old enough to understand what the older guys are going through (raising families, moving, etc.)

He has a passion for the game, obviously, by going into management to learn and prepare for this day.

He loves the city and can be a spokeman for it when speaking to agent and players that he might be trying to acquire.

He can communicate with season ticket holders and sell the event centre as the great thing it will be for Calgary.

Sure he has that aw shucks demeanour that make many wonder if he has the backbone to make the hard decisions or negotiate a hard contract.

I think he can. If there is anyone who can usher in a new era, it is him.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Conroy was a good signing in my view.

His experiences as a player over sixteen years and 1009 games including a number of years as a Captain before moving into management will demand respect by the room.

He is young enough to connect with the young guys and old enough to understand what the older guys are going through (raising families, moving, etc.)

He has a passion for the game, obviously, by going into management to learn and prepare for this day.

He loves the city and can be a spokeman for it when speaking to agent and players that he might be trying to acquire.

He can communicate with season ticket holders and sell the event centre as the great thing it will be for Calgary.

Sure he has that aw shucks demeanour that make many wonder if he has the backbone to make the hard decisions or negotiate a hard contract.

I think he can. If there is anyone who can usher in a new era, it is him.

It's really more the timing for Conroy than anything. This team is in a place where some hard decisions are going to have to be made and he doesn't seem like the logical choice for being able to do that. If he does it properly then he will buy a lot of good will in the one area people worry with about him. If he f***s it up then everyone will think he's incapable of doing the job.

I think he will eventually become a good GM either way but I don't want him to have to make his own mistakes to learn from.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Happy it's Conroy. I was worried and actually assumed that it wasn't going to be him since it took so long. Conroy's got a hell of a team around him with former GMs Nonis, Murray and Maloney he can bounce ideas off of and they can help insulate him like Burke did for Treliving. Burke wasn't a great GM but he was a fantastic POHO.

40 candidates though? WTF? I think I'd have a hell of a time figuring out 20 legit candidates. Who the hell else was interviewed? Entire Sutter clan and former Flames police line up style? Fantasy GM bots vs Chat GPT?

For the Nonis part, I think Connie is actually decently adept at contracts along with Pascal based on his track record as AGM. If his weakness is drafting/drafting mandate, Nonis + Maloney AGM + POHO combo is actually a good combo to round out his weakness (ie: stories about Conroy's comments about prospects as AGM).

UFA/Pro scouting is still yet to be seen and I am still worried based on the potential coach selection. That being said... as long as Conroy has less CSEC restrictions, I'm happy to sit back and see what happens. (For the love of god CSEC, if you're reading this, give Conroy the ability to salary retain over buyout please!)

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Fan960 had some interesting tidbits after the announcement. Two that struck me were:
- Ryan Leslie talked to one of the players who originally told the organization they werent happy and wanted out. He didnt name names, but it sounded like either Backs or Linds. He said that player was hoping Conroy would be named GM.
- Pascal and Snow are apparently very good with contract negotiations. Apparently Snow did the Walker extension.

I think Conroy being named GM is a very positive gain in the overall mood of the players. I think it has drastically improve the odds of Backlund, Lindholm and Phillips signing new contracts. My biggest worry with Conroy is his ability to negotiate new contracts, I was hoping there would be others in management to backfill that role. Sounds like there already was internally.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
sounds like we are going to trade some of those UFAs.

You think Zadorov is only worth 2 million?

I also bet you think the Flames are soff and could use more grit :eyeroll:
Zadorov is a bottom pair stay at home dman who along with Toffoli benefitted from playing Sutter hockey.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Fan960 had some interesting tidbits after the announcement. Two that struck me were:
- Ryan Leslie talked to one of the players who originally told the organization they werent happy and wanted out. He didnt name names, but it sounded like either Backs or Linds. He said that player was hoping Conroy would be named GM.
- Pascal and Snow are apparently very good with contract negotiations. Apparently Snow did the Walker extension.

I think Conroy being named GM is a very positive gain in the overall mood of the players. I think it has drastically improve the odds of Backlund, Lindholm and Phillips signing new contracts. My biggest worry with Conroy is his ability to negotiate new contracts, I was hoping there would be others in management to backfill that role. Sounds like there already was internally.

IIRC, Conroy inked Gaudreau and Arnold years ago. He's fine for new contracts. I also seem to recall there was a report that for UFA season, the AGM go out, communicate with many players, get an idea of the ask and then chat together as a group and figure out who they'll chase. So again, this should be OK due to the work by committee.

Plus although I bitch about CSEC meddling, the fact they have to review contracts before they are finalized helps and allows them to be the foil/bad guy in getting good value contracts without the player getting as mad at management.

Contracts will be OK. This means Nonis either learns or won't get involved with that and he can focus on his strengths in probably managing and maybe even upgrading/making more efficient our overall scouting processes (prospect and professional). This could tie into the concept where Sigalet is a goalie scout.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
IIRC, Conroy inked Gaudreau and Arnold years ago. He's fine for new contracts. I also seem to recall there was a report that for UFA season, the AGM go out, communicate with many players, get an idea of the ask and then chat together as a group and figure out who they'll chase. So again, this should be OK due to the work by committee.

Plus although I bitch about CSEC meddling, the fact they have to review contracts before they are finalized helps and allows them to be the foil/bad guy in getting good value contracts without the player getting as mad at management.

Contracts will be OK. This means Nonis either learns or won't get involved with that and he can focus on his strengths in probably managing and maybe even upgrading/making more efficient our overall scouting processes (prospect and professional). This could tie into the concept where Sigalet is a goalie scout.
I think Conroy flew out to Boston or wherever Gaudreau was at the time, to put the pen and paper on the table for Johnny, I don't know if he was the one who convinced him to commit. Either way, probably good for him to have some guys supporting him

Reactions: Fig

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
I honestly can't imagine a less inspiring combination you could've grabbed out of the nhl's recycle bin than a management led by Maloney, Nonis, Murray and Conroy. What's Randy Carlyle up to nowadays?

Reactions: Iggys Dome

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The amount of shade Conroy has thrown at Treliving and Sutter is pretty amazing to see.

Normally these new GMs talk about their vision in a 'we're doing it a different way' kind of way, Conroy has been downright critical, especially of Sutter.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

I saw it on social media a bunch yesterday, but the premise of this being sort a turning of a chapter in this franchise seems really cool.

Conroy definitely appears to be saying the right things. Wanting to play young guys more, let them make mistakes, have big players play big minutes and in big game situations... You add that to the new arena deal, it being hot in Calgary, it feels different.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
The amount of shade Conroy has thrown at Treliving and Sutter is pretty amazing to see.

Normally these new GMs talk about their vision in a 'we're doing it a different way' kind of way, Conroy has been downright critical, especially of Sutter.
The great thing about this, as an employee, is that Conroy would be an open book, no hidden agendas even if he wanted to.

This is not meant as condescension about his negotiating ability either.. Being nice and being open doesn't necessarily mean being weak.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00