Confirmed with Link: Craig Conroy Named Flames General Manager, Dave Nonis AGM/Senior VP Hockey Ops

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
This is a good hire.

Conroy has been one of the next men up in the league for a long time, and I’m curious to see his philosophy. He’s never been afraid of under sized or skill over size; which would bode well for this team which has now found itself in the middle of not being overly skilled and not being overly mean either.

I’m thinking they bring a big boy coach in to get this team moving. Don’t be shocked if coach Q gets a long look if the league gives him the go ahead this month.
lol

If there's one thing the list of possible GM's and coaches linked to the Flames have in common it's that they're all cheap. It's essentially down to internal candidates looking for their first shot to external failures looking for a last chance.

To think that Edwards is gonna pony up for Quenneville after he's already paying Sutter 8M to go be a toxic anchor somewhere else is bizarre.

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeywiz542

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Wow. A lot of people on this and other sites sure have their panties in a knot and the guy hasn't even been formally introduced.

What experts we have in our base! We are so lucky to have such astute judges of character and experience to guide us through these troubled times.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I'm happy about this but boy did he inherit a mess. I hope Craig can perform some magic and survive it all.

I was gassing up at an Esso on Crowchild and . . . the road that leads into Kensington, about 9 years ago maybe. Conny rolls up and gets some gas. I said a couple of recognition things and he had a warm huge smile the whole time. Honestly seems like a genuinely good guy.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Steinberg said on Flames Talk that Conroy’s approach will put emphasis on building through the draft. Thank god
Every GM says that when introduced. Last I checked they still hold the entry draft every summer too, even though Edwards tried to have it abolished.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Penguin Kyle.

Friedman- I heard the players were very blunt in their exit meetings. A flames player told Friedman to watch what unfolds over the next month as to why things didn't work.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread. I think it shows more of why thos change happened and others, possibly to come.

Conroy expected to be named on Tuesday. If he didn't get would have left the organization.

When Conroy was traded to Calgary he didn't want to go.

They're going to hire more.

Friedman speculates Dave Nonis to help Conroy.

Coaching position.

Mitch Love (Calgary's AHL team coach ?)
Kirk Muller.
Travis Green
Andrew Burnette.

Thinks Iginla will join the team in some capacity in a year.

Potentially bringing Tanguay in.

Calgary wants to improve their offense. Not only in the terms of players, but in terms the way the players are taught and a more offensive system

Marek throws out the name Marc Savard.

Last edited:

Cant Kick On 1 Foot

Nov 22, 2006
Happy it’s Conroy. Glad it’s not a GM who’s been around, highly regarded and has a lot of experience, but us only made it to the 2nd round.

Good too that Conroy is American. It may be an asset to help influence fellow Americans that Calgary is a good place to play.

Go Flames

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Wow. A lot of people on this and other sites sure have their panties in a knot and the guy hasn't even been formally introduced.

What experts we have in our base! We are so lucky to have such astute judges of character and experience to guide us through these troubled times.
Really?

I think the only knotted panty I’ve seen around here is “I’m not so sure about this”

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think it’s good.

Just let Button do his job, accrue picks when you can, be cautious in FA. Get a coach with an open mind in terms of young players getting a chance.

Time to start drafting high skill guys in round 2 again. I feel we’ve gotten away from that recently which seems like a Sutter/Treliving thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad