Confirmed with Link: Craig Conroy Named Flames General Manager, Dave Nonis AGM/Senior VP Hockey Ops

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Was the best rumoured candidate which was incredible sad. Ill be skeptical this will turn out much different from Tre’s tenure until proven otherwise. The man was his protege for a decade after all…

Reactions: Iggys Dome

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
This feels like a cheap hire and a yes man type of move. But let's see if he can open a 4 year window to compete because after 4 years the team is rebuilding.
This team doesn’t have anywhere close to a 4 year window. The quickest way to fix this team and open a longer compete window is to sell off 5 or 6 of the 7 pending UFA players and focus on the teams best D+1 or 2 prospects or ELC roster players as opposed to future 1sts for a return

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Just because Conroy mentored under several idiots and a cheap loser of an owner, doesn't mean he'll turn out to be the exact same. Actually based on his past interviews, I'm inclined to think he'll will be quite different from Treliving. Whether or not he'll be better though is another question.

How he approaches this summer and the 10 players that will free agents next year will pretty tell you everything you need to know about his capabilities. That is to say, is he a proactive and intelligent GM that looks to actively shape the roster into a winner and is capable of moving out players for appropriate returns or is a reactive GM that either watches as 8 UFA's leave for nothing or he overpays to make them stay.

pucksfeedthewolf

Apr 12, 2023
Congrats Conny! Extremely relieved it’s him from the other rumoured finalists. Thrown right into the fire on dealing with all the pending UFA’s.

Now name Mitch Love HC with an assistant that’s an experienced NHL HC to mentor. I loved what Steinberg had to say about Love on the Fan the other day.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta

> The #Flames consulted with Gary Bettman and Colin Campbell as well.

Wow, imagine having either of those as our GM! We'd get all the calls in our favour! :sarcasm:

I both love and hate this. I love it cause Connie has put in his time and he's earned a shot. I hate it because fans are so fickle, they'll turn on him in no time and it'll ruin his reputation as a once fan-fav player.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Nonis the epitome of a yes man now that's Feaster's essentially out of the league so I can see why Edwards wants him in

Muller? LOL
Huska? Loser
Tanguay as coach? Yech. Pass pass pass

Bring on the Love

Reactions: Tofveve

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Feels like they wanted Conroy a long time ago and leaked the worst possible options to make everyone feel better about the choice. Now get a real coach.

I'm almost certain it will be Huska or Muller. Love either brought on as an assistant or stays with the Wranglers.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Would be funny if Conny became really dower and cutthroat and mean to media.
I would have loved if Bettman became GM

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This is a good hire.

Conroy has been one of the next men up in the league for a long time, and I’m curious to see his philosophy. He’s never been afraid of under sized or skill over size; which would bode well for this team which has now found itself in the middle of not being overly skilled and not being overly mean either.

I’m thinking they bring a big boy coach in to get this team moving. Don’t be shocked if coach Q gets a long look if the league gives him the go ahead this month.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Hard to judge Brunette in my opinion. Took over a squad that started the year 8-0, and kept it rolling to the president's trophy, but then appeared to not make any adjustments while getting schooled by Cooper. Maybe he learned his lesson.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Was the best rumoured candidate which was incredible sad. Ill be skeptical this will turn out much different from Tre’s tenure until proven otherwise. The man was his protege for a decade after all…

I tend to agree. He was under the tutelage of two of the biggest frauds in the league in Burke/Treliving so I'm not expecting massive changes. Not that this ownership and their Accountant in Charge would ever approve of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad