Confirmed with Link: Craig Conroy Named Flames General Manager, Dave Nonis AGM/Senior VP Hockey Ops

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Creating an OBC up in Calgary, because that always goes great.

I’ll give it a chance, but I admit this isn’t making me too excited.
Admittedly I'm a bit skeptical as well, but at least Conroy has done the work. 12 or however many years of hockey ops experience in a plethora of roles at least gives assurance that he wasn't just picked because he's a former Flame.

As for Iginla... remains to be seen. Love the guy and he has been coaching U18 for a few years now, not sure what else he has done beyond that. No doubt a smart guy though. Again, still a tad skeptical.

Reactions: Boomstick

pucksfeedthewolf

Apr 12, 2023
Admittedly I'm a bit skeptical as well, but at least Conroy has done the work. 12 or however many years of hockey ops experience in a plethora of roles at least gives assurance that he wasn't just picked because he's a former Flame.

As for Iginla... remains to be seen. Love the guy and he has been coaching U18 for a few years now, not sure what else he has done beyond that. No doubt a smart guy though. Again, still a tad skeptical.
Not a huge difference, but U-15

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
dat 2000s nostalgia tho

I'm happy for Conny, I think he has worked his ass off for this club for a very long time. He loves the city and wants to win here. Also doesn't have a massive ego and should be a great collaborator. As much as a lot of us want to see a torn down to the wood rebuild, I don't think that was the best option at this point in time or one the Flames really considered. Might as well have someone familiar with the inner workings, the prospects, and the staff already in place.

+he could sweet talk the veil off a nun

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
The Nonis addition isnt thrilling, hes a clown. This is the guy who in one calendar year (2013) signed the following 5 players to massive extensions:

Lupul - 5 x 5.25
Bozak - 5 x 5.15
Clarkson - 7 x 5.2
Kessel - 8 x 8
Phaneuf - 7 x 7

Only Bozak played out the full contract in Toronto.

Nonis is on alot of people's short lists for worst GM of all time.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Yeah Conroy went on record a while back airing his frustration about how Treliving tried to make it a one-man show

Reactions: Boomstick

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
So Conroy's saying all the right things to start off with - seems to understand asset management, the need for collaboration, integrating prospects and youth, even learning from the mistakes of previous regimes.

Question is, can he follow through? Because if he starts off doing it his way only to change drastically after a few years, then it'd be a pretty solid indication of ownership meddling.

Asset management from a Flames GM? In this day and age? In this economy?

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
The Nonis addition isnt thrilling, hes a clown. This is the guy who in one calendar year (2013) signed the following 5 players to massive extensions:

Lupul - 5 x 5.25
Bozak - 5 x 5.15
Clarkson - 7 x 5.2
Kessel - 8 x 8
Phaneuf - 7 x 7

Only Bozak played out the full contract in Toronto.

Nonis is on alot of people's short lists for worst GM of all time.

Worst GM of all time? That's some severe hyperbole.

The only crippling move there is the Clarkson deal and he managed to get out of it two years in by exchanging it for a LTIR contract.

His draft record and trade history i'd say was a net positive and it also involved one completely franchise altering deal (Luongo)

In an AGM role his weaknesses get covered. It's a fine if not unspectacular addition.

Reactions: Nanuuk

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Conroy is an exciting hire. He said all the right things for me in terms of prioritizing youth, and skill and allowing players to feel comfortable in playing their style of game and having fun coming to the rink every day.

He must have hated watching Sutter hockey.

I also thought it was interesting that he really hammered home the point that the he and the new coach will be communicating everyday and will need to be on the same page at all times. What a gong show this past year was.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
Being a Flames fan the last few years has turned me into such a negative nancy that Conroy and Nonis will have to prove to me that they are different before I'm excited about them being hired. Deeply cynical about bringing in former ex-Flames for any management or coaching jobs so I'm going to be unfairly critical until they prove me wrong.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I really hope that press conference silenced the doubters about Conny. I think he’s gonna do a good job
Words are cheap. If he shows it through his actions that’ll mean everything. In saying that, I like what I fans were saying Connie said in the conference.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Uhh guys I'm getting what could be a hopeful feeling about the Calgary Flames.
Should I contact my doctor? My psychic? Any home remedies?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Good:

Bad:

In a year where a team with less points than the Flames is currently 3-0 in the conference finals, I'm not sure why there is so much denial over this. Every one of the teams "built the right way (TM)" is on the sidelines right now.

The goal is to build a team to consistently make the playoffs and sustain that year over year. You take as many shots as you can and hope to get the mix right and get the breaks go your way one year.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad