Confirmed with Link: Craig Conroy Named Flames General Manager, Dave Nonis AGM/Senior VP Hockey Ops

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Even though Conroy tends to ramble a bit, he's definitely a refreshing contrast to Brad's "I'm not going to get into that," or his OJ Simpson-like ability to say absolutely nothing of substance.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Conroy is a professional athlete by nature; he will be tough when he needs to be. Or so I hope so, lol, there’s that doubt creeping in. What he does with the 7 UFAs will say a lot.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The great thing about this, as an employee, is that Conroy would be an open book, no hidden agendas even if he wanted to.

This is not meant as condescension about his negotiating ability either.. Being nice and being open doesn't necessarily mean being weak.

I honestly think the weight around the Flames last season really did had a massive negative impact. Like, it didn't seem fun to be a Flame, it didn't seem like the guys wanted to be there. I could see why the first thing the new management is doing is trying to distance itself from that.

Reactions: Fig

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Conroy is a professional athlete by nature; he will be tough when he needs to be. Or so I hope so, lol, there’s that doubt creeping in. What he does with the 7 UFAs will say a lot.
A lot of people have come out about Conroys competitive streak, thats a good sign. He wants to win no matter what. I think he will be able to make the hockey choices when he has to.

scoringmachine

Jan 17, 2007
Now that we know that Conroy is the GM of the team. Put yourself in his shoes and what would you by July first. This is what I would do.

1. Look for a coach would love Patrick Roy as he would come in with no pressure and be told you can help shape this team like you did with the Ramparts. If he says no Hire Mitch Love

2. Put all GM on notice that all players and prospects are up for grab if the deal is right. I would know which players I do not want to move, however, if a team gave me a deal that is hard to pass up for a player I really do not want to move I maybe willing to make that trade.

3. This one will be tough, but I would leave Wolf in the AHL for one more year hoping that Jarome Iginla will join the Flames fulltime next season (2024-2025) As an assistant GM or assistant coach. Then use his influence to get Kipper to be the goalie coach for the team.

Once the draft is done I would see where the team is at then make a list of what needs to be done come july 1st. As Calgary has been one of the least active Canadian team on July 1st.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Why is this a thing? Are we expecting them to be saviours or something?
Yeah just assume these guys have great team management acumen because of nostalgia, haven't lived in Calgary, or pursued NHL jobs since they retired long ago, but we really need them.
Kipper as goalie coach? Maybe he communicates telepathically? From a canoe in Finland?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Yeah just assume these guys have great team management acumen because of nostalgia, haven't lived in Calgary, or pursued NHL jobs since they retired long ago, but we really need them.
Kipper as goalie coach? Maybe he communicates telepathically? From a canoe in Finland?

Kipper could tell Wolf what was told of him and how he maintained his success in the NHL. Kipper is a high athleticism goalie who could explain to Wolf how to balance being assertive and aggressive vs sticking to fundamentals. But who knows if he'd be able to teach that to any goalie.

Kipper is super weird though. Apparently he drank and smoked a lot and basically held up a workload that is considered ridiculous to most goalies in this day and age. The entire package he had was just crazy. If he could impart just one section of his key to durability, positioning fundamentals vs reactionary saves, Wolf will be really good. Impart more than one of those and Wolf would be awesome and easily entering into Saros range of excellent.

pucksfeedthewolf

Apr 12, 2023
I’m almost certain that Kipper is quite content fishing and smoking darts in Finland.

I’d say less than a 0% chance he ever does anything other than that.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Kipper could tell Wolf what was told of him and how he maintained his success in the NHL. Kipper is a high athleticism goalie who could explain to Wolf how to balance being assertive and aggressive vs sticking to fundamentals. But who knows if he'd be able to teach that to any goalie.

Kipper is super weird though. Apparently he drank and smoked a lot and basically held up a workload that is considered ridiculous to most goalies in this day and age. The entire package he had was just crazy. If he could impart just one section of his key to durability, positioning fundamentals vs reactionary saves, Wolf will be really good. Impart more than one of those and Wolf would be awesome and easily entering into Saros range of excellent.

Kipper is not coming to coach. He might come to watch a game.

Once.

In Wolf's entire career.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Kipper is super weird though. Apparently he drank and smoked a lot a
Not apparently. He did. and he drank a pot of black coffee between periods. And he doesn't speak. And he lives with a wolf in a remote shack.

Reactions: Fig

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
Wolf will be smoking two packs of darts a day is Kipper is coaching him. I haven’t even heard of Kipper in years. Does he live in a van down by the river?

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
I think if Roy was brought in he would be able to help Wolf out a lot more than Kipper. It’s a two for one deal really. HC that’s won how many memorial cups now that is also one of the top 3 goalies of all time?

Yes please.

And you know he will fight Vernon 🤣

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad