Craig Berube

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Raffl is a better fit on the top line than Schenn.

The top line is quick and creative, that's not Schenns game. He's not a power forward, but he's closer to that than a finess player like Giroux or Voracek. That's why I think he's better suited to playing with Couturier and Simmonds than Giroux and Voracek. When Schenn's played his best he's been physical, which he does more with Simmonds than anyone else.

Raffl fits on the top line because he's quick and he's really good at flying under the radar until suddenly Giroux or Voracek feed him a perfect pass (which yes he flubs sometimes but find me someone who doesnt).

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004

The top line is quick and creative, that's not Schenns game. He's not a power forward, but he's closer to that than a finess player like Giroux or Voracek. That's why I think he's better suited to playing with Couturier and Simmonds than Giroux and Voracek. When Schenn's played his best he's been physical, which he does more with Simmonds than anyone else.

Raffl fits on the top line because he's quick and he's really good at flying under the radar until suddenly Giroux or Voracek feed him a perfect pass (which yes he flubs sometimes but find me someone who doesnt).

Raffl G Jake
Brayden Couts Simmer
RJ Laughts Read

Seems like best option that e have.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
Raffl has been a pleasent surprise for sure. Speed, pretty good skill. And a bonus, that guy can fight. He's got some experience from somewhere.
The draft is gonna be crucial for us. Do we get Zacha, hopefully he could be our second line centre. Or do we go d, Kylington or Jeremy Roy types of guys.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Raffl has been a pleasent surprise for sure. Speed, pretty good skill. And a bonus, that guy can fight. He's got some experience from somewhere.
The draft is gonna be crucial for us. Do we get Zacha, hopefully he could be our second line centre. Or do we go d, Kylington or Jeremy Roy types of guys.

Good thing is, he also plays the Left Wing. Can't go wrong here.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Care to explain? I see Raffl is getting the "he hasn't been in the line-up lately so people remember a better version of him" treatment here.

Schenn has not been more effective on that line than Raffl. Since Schenn is supposed to have a far better pedigree than Raffl, and appears to have a superior set of tools, it's distressing that he isn't at least equivalent to the undrafted nobody in that same role.

Schenn has dropped off the radar for two months now, and putting him in what is generally considered a can't-fail position hasn't helped. Since December he has 2g, 6a in the last 18 games; much of that came with easy usage and a prime spot on a damned good PP unit.

Getting to the open spots is supposed to be Schenn's chief skill as well. It's a big reason we wanted him to be on the top line to begin with. Raffl isn't a finesse guy by any stretch of the imagination, yet again...he's done better there than Schenn.

So what exactly is Schenn good at? He has been tried in every situation conceivable and hasn't really fit anywhere. I'm losing hope for him again. He's a complimentary player that seems to struggle to complement anybody. We're constantly and forever waiting for him to turn a corner or shown more than a flash of potential once every dozen games.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
Schenn has not been more effective on that line than Raffl. Since Schenn is supposed to have a far better pedigree than Raffl, and appears to have a superior set of tools, it's distressing that he isn't at least equivalent to the undrafted nobody in that same role.

Schenn has dropped off the radar for two months now, and putting him in what is generally considered a can't-fail position hasn't helped. Since December he has 2g, 6a in the last 18 games; much of that came with easy usage and a prime spot on a damned good PP unit.

Getting to the open spots is supposed to be Schenn's chief skill as well. It's a big reason we wanted him to be on the top line to begin with. Raffl isn't a finesse guy by any stretch of the imagination, yet again...he's done better there than Schenn.

So what exactly is Schenn good at? He has been tried in every situation conceivable and hasn't really fit anywhere. I'm losing hope for him again. He's a complimentary player that seems to struggle to complement anybody. We're constantly and forever waiting for him to turn a corner or shown more than a flash of potential once every dozen games.

THANK YOU!!!! when I said this every one got all bothered lol finally someone else sees this!

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

He's shown that he's good at that at times and he's also had some great plays on the first line (which might not be as fresh in most minds because of the constant overhanging depression and negativity we experience every game). I think it's just about what's the right fit for each line, he just doesn't seem to be a good one for the first right now.

However, I really, truly believe that if the team's defense could improve to the point where they can move the puck at an ECHL level or higher it would make a big difference in the games of a lot of forwards. Couturier and Schenn will never be the type of players who can beat people with their speed and create a lot of space for themselves. That flaw is super magnified when the defense spends 15 seconds passing it back and forth before taking a golf swing at the puck and hoping it makes it to a forward, meanwhile the opponent is back and set up to defend.

But still, I would've hoped for a bit more by now, so yeah, it's disappointing that his time on the first line didn't end up like we hoped. I'm not actively hoping he gets traded, but he's obviously not part of the untouchable core right now, at least not in my mind. I'm still willing to be patient and hope there's something that will give him a jump forward since he's still a young player.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
He's shown that he's good at that at times and he's also had some great plays on the first line (which might not be as fresh in most minds because of the constant overhanging depression and negativity we experience every game). I think it's just about what's the right fit for each line, he just doesn't seem to be a good one for the first right now.

However, I really, truly believe that if the team's defense could improve to the point where they can move the puck at an ECHL level or higher it would make a big difference in the games of a lot of forwards. Couturier and Schenn will never be the type of players who can beat people with their speed and create a lot of space for themselves. That flaw is super magnified when the defense spends 15 seconds passing it back and forth before taking a golf swing at the puck and hoping it makes it to a forward, meanwhile the opponent is back and set up to defend.

But still, I would've hoped for a bit more by now, so yeah, it's disappointing that his time on the first line didn't end up like we hoped. I'm not actively hoping he gets traded, but he's obviously not part of the untouchable core right now, at least not in my mind. I'm still willing to be patient and hope there's something that will give him a jump forward since he's still a young player.

So you advocate a future for Schenn where he retires immediately and takes a job as a naked Africanized bee-herder?

That seems harsh dude, but I reluctantly agree.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006

I never said Schenn was more effective on that line (actually quite the opposite). I said he was a better player.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Schenn has better vision than Raffl and has been able to pick his head up and make some solid passes resulting in goals this season. The advantages he has over Raffl ends there. Raffl is a better skater, better defensively, better on the forecheck, better on the rush, etc.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Raffl is a nice player but early in the season he was at a unstainable shooting percentage. he has since cooled off before he got sick. I don't think Raffl is the answer for the top line with Giroux and Jake

JayRosehillMVP

snubbed again
May 28, 2012
Philadelphia
I've always thought that Raffl's ability to get open, along with his competitiveness, was his best trait. He may not have the ideal shot for that line, but he's the best fit on the team there imo.

If Raffl somehow managed to bulk up and add a shot this offseason I think he's a 50+ point guy. Extremely wishful thinking though.

4thline4life

Jul 12, 2010
they are winning game in spite of his horrible decisions. this should be a nice win streak if Berube could manage a game better than a pee wee coach.

SgtJoseph*

Have you forgotten how bad this team was under Lavi's offense first system? A defensively oriented system is not just for good teams. Under Berube, it means 5 skaters in the defensive zone. If your defense sucks then getting your forwards back to help out is exactly what the coach should stress.

You think the 4th line shouldn't get the easy minutes? You really want Rinaldo getting tough minutes in place of Couturier? 4th lines get easy minutes, that's why they're 4th lines.

Giroux is 1st among forwards in ATOI for the season, and I think Voracek is 3rd. I believe Couturier is 2nd, which shouldn't surprise anyone given his role on the team. Jake and G are 1st and 4th in scoring in the league. So what's the problem again?

Couturier's role is the same as it's been since he was a rookie. I don't know how you blame Berube for that.

Ok, I'll give you that one.

Every team uses two PP units. The fact that the Flyers 2nd unit is bad speaks more to how the roster has been assembled than Berube's coaching skills (or lack thereof).

But he was the coach last year, are you going to give him credit for last year's success? Losing Timmo was huge. Also, the PK has actually not been so bad at home iirc. But ok, the coaching staff has to take some blame here.

I haven't liked a lot of his combinations but every coach juggles lines and every fan base complains about it.

Putting a stay at home D with an offensive D has been a tactic going back forever. Again, Berube is not doing anything every other coach doesn't do. And Grossman has actually been much better this year than he was last year. I still want him traded ASAP but he hasn't been that bad this year.

Not sure how you can say this. Couturier is (I believe) 2nd among forwards in ATOI. How can Berube have a problem with youth if he trusts his 2nd youngest forward with so many tough minutes? And Schenn has become a fixture on the 1st PP if I'm not mistaken, and is near the top among forwards for ATOI. I'd say he's having easily the best year of his career so far.

Look at the ATOI on nhl.com. Giroux and Voracek are getting far more ice time than the 4th line. And if the 4th line is playing well enough to get an extra shift here or there, that's a good thing.

Nothing in my responses means that I think that Berube is a good coach. The problem (at least my problem) is, people are criticizing him for things that most if not all coaches do, and which in many cases make sense. Or at least one could argue that there are legitimate reasons for his decisions.

Very well structured and articulated ! Hard to argue with your points !

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I have said it before and I will say it again, this board is going to lose it when Berube is not fired this summer (ie. extended).

Last edited:

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I have said it before and I will say it again, this board is going to lose it when Berube is not fired this summer (ie. extended).

Or a new coach is hired and the team still sucks.....although the new coach will probably be blamed again.

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com

While I definitely don't think this is out of the question. I just can't see it happening. Hextall has not shown much support in him and he didn't pick him as coach either. Not to mention Hextall wants to play a possession game and that's not berubes forte. I think he likes Berube and sees value in him (as do I) but I think there is a need to find a better strategist. I could see Berube coaching the AHL team and terry Murray coming up to be an assistant and in the defense.

Firing Berube now is silly because all the best replacements will come after the playoffs. I think at this point Berube is most likely gone unless he can show that he can get this team to compete every night, which they have not.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I've been preaching those lines for 2 months. I've been yelling to put coots and Simmonds together every game. Berubes line combos drive me nuts.

You telling me you don't like two 4th lines? ;)

And Berube wonders why we constantly get outshot :laugh:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Nope.

Teams don't like their coaches being in no mans land especially if they plan on re-signing them.

Hextall is bringing in a new coach next year...but that guy is not available right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad