TSN: Coyotes willing to eat cap space ahead of trade deadline

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Where's Broberg?

Garbage offer

Broberg? Are you kidding? Garbage reply.

Man, you really took that one-off random tweet by a complete nobody with an anonymous and unverified Twitter account as gospel. You cite that in half the Yotes threads on this forum. It was a fake made up story by a completely random guy. Let it go. Haha.

As for the proposal, it’s probably somewhat close to fair if you remove Crouse and Vejmelka and Kessel and the Oilers 1st.

Hey, it was a rumor, that is true. I guess "apparently" is too close to "definitely pursued" in your narrow book of definitions, so I'll just say some guy said it was rumored they might have had interet at one time.

Oh boy, you really got Oiler fans with that one. Hilarious!

Feel better?

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Retaining salary is a completely different animal. Retaining salary is done so that teams can add without subtracting, or without subtracting as much.

The ONLY use case is if the dump to a 3rd party team is if it is multi year. On an expiring deal, the selling team will simply take back the player they need to take back, in order to get the haul of futures that they want. They have the cap & budget space, they just freed it up by selling a better player.

However, even if that dump is multi-year, it also needs to meet the threshold of being so bad, that the selling team just flat out doesn't want anything to do with the player/contract. I don't believe there are a lot of buying teams who have such undesirable contracts.
I don't think the situation is as unlikely as you're making it seem. I could see a situation where a team is trying to acquire a player but needs to shed salary. And the team that they are in talks with says that they will take cap dump x who is being paid 2m for 2 more years in exchange for a 2nd round pick on top of the return. The buying team thinks this is to high of a price, so they call up the Coyotes who say they will take the cap dump for only a 3rd round pick. They agree to that trade, then the buying team goes and acquires the player they were in talks to acquire.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Hey, it was a rumor, that is true. I guess "apparently" is too close to "definitely pursued" in your narrow book of definitions, so I'll just say some guy said it was rumored they might have had interet at one time.

Feel better?
It’s not a rumor. It’s literally one anonymous nobody with an unverified Twitter account. Tiny following. Doesn’t use a name. No check mark. No sources. Just a random nobody
who makes stuff up. Are you new to the internet? It’s probably your account.

Reactions: Kaizen and McJedi

rt

May 13, 2004
I don't think the situation is as unlikely as you're making it seem. I could see a situation where a team is trying to acquire a player but needs to shed salary. And the team that they are in talks with says that they will take cap dump x who is being paid 2m for 2 more years in exchange for a 2nd round pick on top of the return. The buying team thinks this is to high of a price, so they call up the Coyotes who say they will take the cap dump for only a 3rd round pick. They agree to that trade, then the buying team goes and acquires the player they were in talks to acquire.
It’s extremely likely and is bound to happen.

Reactions: elitepete

sens13

Mar 16, 2017

Feel better?

lol oiler fans getting salty no one will take their junk and give them good players back.

koskinen and kassian both suck. the price to dump them is probably a 1st and a 2nd. your not going to get kessel at 50% and crouse who will easily get a 1st+ just for samrokov.

Maybe use your brain instead of posting garbage proposals but I know that's too much to ask from some people :laugh:

rt

May 13, 2004
lol oiler fans getting salty no one will take their junk and give them good players back.

koskinen and kassian both suck. the price to dump them is probably a 1st and a 2nd. your not going to get kessel at 50% and crouse who will easily get a 1st+ just for samrokov.

Maybe use your brain instead of posting garbage proposals but I know that's too much to ask from some people :laugh:
That proposal was so bad that that it would be closer to correct value for Arizona to include literally nothing at all. One of the worst homer proposals I’ve seen in a long while.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

That's generally not how negotiations for rentals work.

Let's say you're the Seattle Kraken, selling on Mark Giordano ($6.75m). You make it known that he's available. St. Louis is offering you a 1st round pick, prospect you really like, BUT you've gotta retain 50%, AND take back Marco Scandella. The Boston Bruins give you a call, and they can do it with 50% retained, offering you a 1st round pick, but prospect you don't like as much.

You don't sacrifice the prospect because it means you have to take on a guy that may not be the absolute best use of cap dollars for next year. You're a rebuilding team with a long term outlook. The long term pieces that you get are what's important.

I get it -- in theory, sure, "there should be a payment for taking a player on a bad deal". In practicality, the teams selling rentals don't really care, as long as they're getting the best return of future haul. Plus, there are very few truly toxic contracts on teams that are likely to be buyers. The Nick Ritchie's, John Moore's of the world, the contracts aren't big enough to move the needle on deadline deals. Milan Lucic is really the only guy that jumps out as a possibility for this type of move to Arizona in-season. Maybe Zack Kassian, but everyone loves a tough-guy.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
That's generally not how negotiations for rentals work.

Let's say you're the Seattle Kraken, selling on Mark Giordano ($6.75m). You make it known that he's available. St. Louis is offering you a 1st round pick, prospect you really like, BUT you've gotta retain 50%, AND take back Marco Scandella. The Boston Bruins give you a call, and they can do it with 50% retained, offering you a 1st round pick, but prospect you don't like as much.

You don't sacrifice the prospect because it means you have to take on a guy that may not be the absolute best use of cap dollars for next year. You're a rebuilding team with a long term outlook. The long term pieces that you get are what's important.

I get it -- in theory, sure, "there should be a payment for taking a player on a bad deal". In practicality, the teams selling rentals don't really care, as long as they're getting the best return of future haul. Plus, there are very few truly toxic contracts on teams that are likely to be buyers. The Nick Ritchie's, John Moore's of the world, the contracts aren't big enough to move the needle on deadline deals. Milan Lucic is really the only guy that jumps out as a possibility for this type of move to Arizona in-season. Maybe Zack Kassian, but everyone loves a tough-guy.
Those types of deal are usually cap dumps that expire at the end of the year. Arizona seems to be willing to do it for muli-year cap dumps, which are much harder to get rid of. Sellers are much less likely to be willing to take those multi-year cap dumps.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Those types of deal are usually cap dumps that expire at the end of the year. Arizona seems to be willing to do it for muli-year cap dumps, which are much harder to get rid of. Sellers are much less likely to be willing to take those multi-year cap dumps.

Go look at the teams that are likely to be buyers. Who has a really "toxic" contract that a selling team is going to balk at taking on?

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Go look at the teams that are likely to be buyers. Who has a really "toxic" contract that a selling team is going to balk at taking on?
I don't think the contract needs to be "toxic". A team could easily say no thanks to a contract like Ritchie that has an extra year. Cap space is at a premium like never before.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
As many have indicated it is a different world these days and that kind of package may be a thing of the past. Markets change and GM's have to adjust accordingly. That is one of Francis' big mistakes. He couldn't adapt and improvise and innovate when he had to.
Yes. Cap space has become more scarce and expensive since that Marleu trade. Add another good prospect from Ottawa.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Lol. Try a first or one of your top prospects. Pat Marleu cost Toronto Seth Jarvis. A two year worthless contract will cost More. Would look something like JBD, a 2022 2nd, 2023 2nd and 2023 3rd. Would be brutal. And won’t happen either.

To be fair, Toronto thought they were trading a late 1st round pick at the time they made the deal. Even we Canes fans expected it to be in the mid-late 20s at the time of the deal. Leafs had finished 7th in the NHL two consecutive seasons with 100 and 105 points respectively. They didn't expect to drop to the middle of the NHL standings and be in contention for a lottery pick. If they thought they were trading a pick as high as 13OA, I doubt they make the deal they did.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I don't think the contract needs to be "toxic". A team could easily say no thanks to a contract like Ritchie that has an extra year. Cap space is at a premium like never before.

A contract like Ritchie, at $2.5m is simply not going to be a difference maker towards getting the ideal return on your selling player. Cap space is at a premium for contending teams.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
To be fair, Toronto thought they were trading a late 1st round pick at the time they made the deal. Even we Canes fans expected it to be in the mid-late 20s at the time of the deal. Leafs had finished 7th in the NHL two consecutive seasons with 100 and 105 points respectively. They didn't expect to drop to the middle of the NHL standings and be in contention for a lottery pick. If they thought they were trading a pick as high as 13OA, I doubt they make the deal they did.
Toronto did finish with should have been pick around 20, but then the Covid "playoffs" occurred and the first-round loss significantly altered the pick.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
"The Coyotes have let it be known that they’re willing to take on contracts or money in exchange for future assets, just as we saw them do with a few transactions over the summer. And they’re still going to look at some things. They want to know how long that contract is if they are bringing on a player, what type of player it is.
"But the Coyotes are certainly eyeing a chance to be an important go-between at this deadline where so many teams are capped out."

Coyotes willing to eat cap space ahead of trade deadline - TSN.ca

Yotes willing to be third party to absorb cap for assets.

Is this really news?

I mean they only have 5 seconder rounders this year do they want all of them?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad