TSN: Coyotes willing to eat cap space ahead of trade deadline

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
7E34DA45-5D25-4A70-B329-7225806E89CE.gif

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
In what world is 9 million a 2nd and a 3rd? Zero precedence for that statement.
Ghostisbehere deal comes as close as any. As I've been saying - a lot depends on market and how desperate teams are to move contracts. The return will vary for sure.

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
The average market rate for taking cap is about 3-3.5m for a second and 6ish for a first. The quality of the player and money owed plays a factor in this.

Ghost's cap was 4.5 per year, his actual salary was 4.0m and he was a below average player at the time. He got a second per year to take him.
Ladd's cap was 5.5 per year, his actual salary averaged 2.5m, and he was done as a player but was good in the locker room. He got a second per year to take him.
Stralman's cap was 5.5 per year, his actual paid was 4.5m, and he was below average player at the time. He cost a second+prospect to take him for one year.

If you are trying to unload a guy making 4.5 its probably going to cost a 2nd+3rd each year of the contract to do it. You can probably consolidate that into firsts or prospects somehow but you are going to pay for every year.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Makes sense to do this as a 3-way on a UFA. Eating 50% of a UFA contract at the deadline is a great way to get assets without burdening the team with a bad player. Coyotes get the retention slot back in the offseason.

Last edited:

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Florida gave us Kolyachonok and a 2nd for Stralman and he didn’t have multiple years.

NYR gave Detroit a 2nd for a year of Staal at 5.7m.

Nemeth has 2 years left but it’s at 2.5m, that’s not even HALF of what Staal’s AAV was.

Florida was also far more desperate to get rid of cap.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
And which young dman is coming with him to Arizona?

None. As I previously stated, Detroit took a 2nd for a year of Staal at 5.7m. Nemeth has an extra year on his deal, but it’s at 2.5m.

The most I’d give on top of that 3rd round pick is a 6th. There’s no reason for a young defender to be in there.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
The Coyotes are just a contingency fund for 30 other teams to dump shitty contracts on. In the end the league pays for it anyways via bailouts

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
To sign UFAs? You really think UFAs want to go to that bottom feeding team and waste their career playing for them? There is a reason why Arizona is offering cap space for picks and its because they have no use for it. Lets say Arizona had that precious cap space, what will they use it for? Arizona is basically selling cap space for future asset and picks which is smarter idea than use that"precious" cap space to sign UFAs that will double their price for Arizona.
UFAs will go where they want to go. Half of western Canada vacations in Arizona. Low taxes, great winter weather. If they offer the money, dang right I think UFAs will consider it.

there is finite cap space post Covid. Cap is flat for a while. Years more. Half the league is using LTIR and are over the cap. These guys play more money and if Arizona offers it, sure. Many will take a long look at playing there.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
None. As I previously stated, Detroit took a 2nd for a year of Staal at 5.7m. Nemeth has an extra year on his deal, but it’s at 2.5m.

The most I’d give on top of that 3rd round pick is a 6th. There’s no reason for a young defender to be in there.

Nemeth makes $2.5 mil next year and $3.5 mil in the last year, $6 mil owed total - Arizona is going to hate that. Compare that to Staal who made $4.2 mil his final season.

Rebuilding budget teams care just as much about actual salary as they do about AAV, there is no way Arizona takes Nemeth for just a 3rd + 6th.

Last edited:

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006
"The Coyotes have let it be known that they’re willing to take on contracts or money in exchange for future assets, just as we saw them do with a few transactions over the summer. And they’re still going to look at some things. They want to know how long that contract is if they are bringing on a player, what type of player it is.
"But the Coyotes are certainly eyeing a chance to be an important go-between at this deadline where so many teams are capped out."

Coyotes willing to eat cap space ahead of trade deadline - TSN.ca

Yotes willing to be third party to absorb cap for assets.
I really like what the 'yotes are trying to do out in the desert , I hope they find success it would make the NHL a much more interesting place . I wish you luck .

Reactions: Art.Vandelay

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
NYR gave Detroit a 2nd for a year of Staal at 5.7m.

Nemeth has 2 years left but it’s at 2.5m, that’s not even HALF of what Staal’s AAV was.

I'm not so sure there's any rush to get rid of Nemeth. The Rangers don't have cap issues, and probably liek the idea of having him even in a 6/7 role considering how young their D-core is.

Ultimately, I suspect they'll end up using him in a deal for a forward sometime before his contract is up.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
This is one thing that affects the market here. If a team is desperate to lose a contract they will probably pay more than a team who merely wants to move a contract. This is why it's tough to pin down an exact price on how much a team should pay to move salary and contracts. And this is why the market may change from year to year.

This is one of the many reasons why the two recent expansions (Vegas and Seattle) are so different. The market changed between 2017 and 2021. Teams re-examined what they were willing to pay and dropped their offers. Francis either didn't notice or he didn't adjust. It seems like he just stopped trying once the teams told him they wouldn't give him 1st round choices. Arizona didn't give up and received a pile of 2nd round choices and some useful players on not-that-ugly contracts.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
What would the extras be in a trade between the yotes and Bruins with these pieces

Kessel to Boston with no retention

Foligno plus what back to the yotes. He has one year left on his deal at 3.9

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
And yet over the last decade the Coyotes have won 13 post-regular-season games, while the Oilers have won only 8, despite being gifted one bazillion top picks. Hmmm…
Yeah an Oilers fan chirping you guys is rich. The top picks they've had and still aren't good is an embarrassment

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Gostisbehere returned a 2nd and a 7th and he’s been excellent for Arizona.

Ladd returned a 2nd and a 3rd and has essentially be the team’s captain. He wears an A, had been defending his teammates by dropping the gloves, playing with tons of energy and grit and leading by example.

Stralman returned Kolyachonok and a 2nd and has been more solid than Nemeth. The 2nd rounder is less valuable than Kolyachonok who was already partially developed, has been excellent in Tucson and provided a spark when called up, with a wrecking ball mentality out there.

Arizona likes getting fantastic assets for players that have actually helped the team. If you want Nemeth gone, you’ll accommodate. Seattle ought to be helping, and driving the price down, but it appears Francis is inept. Arizona is the only game in town (which makes no sense, but appears to be true).

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
If Foligno goes we could.

According to Capfriendly, he has a NMC (changes to a 16 team MNTC in the offseason)... does he agree to waive it?

Haven't seen him play much this year so I don't know how much he has left in the tank but have to think Arizona might be ok taking him on as he'd provide some grit, leadership and (at least historically) defense. Again, assuming he'd waive.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I'm not so sure there's any rush to get rid of Nemeth. The Rangers don't have cap issues, and probably liek the idea of having him even in a 6/7 role considering how young their D-core is.

Ultimately, I suspect they'll end up using him in a deal for a forward sometime before his contract is up.

Yeah, they can also afford to let him rot in Hartford and that will save about half of his cap hit.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
According to Capfriendly, he has a NMC (changes to a 16 team MNTC in the offseason)... does he agree to waive it?

Haven't seen him play much this year so I don't know how much he has left in the tank but have to think Arizona might be ok taking him on as he'd provide some grit, leadership and (at least historically) defense. Again, assuming he'd waive.
He has a NTC but I believe it's a 6 or 8 team list. The Yotes could be one of those teams but assuming they aren't what's the plus. They gave him an A this year during injuries so the leadership is there. His offence has fallen off a cliff it seems but he's still a responsible player and leader.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad