GDT: Coyotes VS Flames 7PM 3/15/2014

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I get your train of thought, but actually, it would be quite a stretch. I have a 13-game plan in Section 213, and if that section is representative of the arena for hockey knowledge, then it is quite low. It's kind of sad to hear the excitement in the arena ramp up when a Coyote hits the blue line with speed on a 1-on-3.

I have been to some games in northern market teams, and have always been impressed at the level at which people know what's going on.

I sit in 213.

p4pb6306145.jpg

Last edited:

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Every team has fans who are both knowledgeable and not knowledgeable of the game of hockey. If anything, depending on the market will give a better picture of the ratio between the 2 fans and such a ratio can't be judged by going to the games alone.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
They were. I'm as big a Warren Zevon fan as anybody, but give me "Howlin' For You" any day and twice on Sunday.

Disagree. I hate that song with a passion. The fact that it has been the coyotes goal song for the past few seasons has done nothing to make me like it any more.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Disagree. I hate that song with a passion. The fact that it has been the coyotes goal song for the past few seasons has done nothing to make me like it any more.

Werewolves of London rules, we should just go back to using it on a regular basis.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
You can make an argument that Werewolves in London is a better SONG than Howlin' for You, but there are a lot of great songs I wouldn't use as a goal celebration song. Stairway To Heaven would be the worst goal song ever.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
You can make an argument that Werewolves in London is a better SONG than Howlin' for You, but there are a lot of great songs I wouldn't use as a goal celebration song. Stairway To Heaven would be the worst goal song ever.

I agree..it would be awkward and odd to hear after a goal..I am fine with anything that is fast and upbeat after a goal..maybe this...:sarcasm:

Well the first part looped

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I agree..it would be awkward and odd to hear after a goal..I am fine with anything that is fast and upbeat after a goal..maybe this...:sarcasm:
(deleted)
Well the first part looped

Whatever version this is, they played it twice last night - both times I joked "hey, that's racist!"

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Hate howlin for you. I absolutely hate the black keys in fact.

Why have the officials been so desperate to give us games lately?

When will this team play three decent periods in one game?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
That would be amazing if that was the goal song. I would sell my car and buy 10 season tickets.

Same. The howl already pisses off a lot of opposing fans. Add in a comical celebration song and it gets better. Only thing missing is soccer style crowd chants/singing during the game. We've got OEL....

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Hate howlin for you. I absolutely hate the black keys in fact.

Why have the officials been so desperate to give us games lately?

When will this team play three decent periods in one game?

Don't you read the main boards? The Legion of Doom told the refs to make sure we get in to the playoffs. Apparently Tim Peel didn't get the memo.

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
That praise is very high and very early ... better than Yandle? And Hale? And Rundblad? We were playing Calgary, so that particular neutral zone WAS warm butter.

Rundblad is sluggish with his feet, and his top end speed sucks. The only thing that Hale was quick at was his ability to turnover the puck to the other team. Yandle is no doubt up there but I'll give the edge to Summers.My assessment of his skating comes from watching the guy for a very long time. He's already 26. You make a good point about the lack of neutral zone play by the Flames but Summers skating ability has never been a secret even since the day he was drafted. The guys stride is effortless.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Rundblad is sluggish with his feet, and his top end speed sucks. The only thing that Hale was quick at was his ability to turnover the puck to the other team. Yandle is no doubt up there but I'll give the edge to Summers.My assessment of his skating comes from watching the guy for a very long time. He's already 26. You make a good point about the lack of neutral zone play by the Flames but Summers skating ability has never been a secret even since the day he was drafted. The guys stride is effortless.

Seconded. Summers is an incredible skater. His wheels were certainly there at Michigan and he did win the Fastest Skater competition at the AHL All Star game last year (?).

Perhaps he's not as silky smooth as OEL, but Summers is noticibly faster. And I think his agility is better than Yandle's.

Summers always had the enviable size and mobility toolbox we need on our blue line. It was just a matter of him getting a sustained opportunity and him taking advantage of it.

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
OEL is no doubt the smoothest with the puck but he lacks the top end speed and acceleration that the other two have. He's got both beat going backwards probably. Despite his tendency lately to take interference penalties. Yandle is fast when he gets the puck, and Summers is quick without it. You have both skate once around the rink one time with and one time without the puck and you'll get two winners. Tanabe could probably burn both of in both drills. The guys legs were obscene. Looked like someone duct taped two watermelons where normal calves usually reside. Damn knee injury.

Last edited:

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
OEL is no doubt the smoothest with the puck but he lacks the top end speed and acceleration that the other two have. He's got both beat going backwards probably. Despite his tendency lately to take interference penalties. Yandle is fast when he gets the puck, and Summers is quick without it. You have both skate once around the rink one time with and one time without the puck and you'll get two winners.

I'll generally agree with that assessment of the 3, although Yandle is pretty damn fast without the puck as well - I've seen him, on many occasions, absolutely fly back and break-up an odd man rush. And no, many of those times the odd-man rush did not occur due to one of his offensive zone turnovers lol.

Because of Summers's skating ability, physical play, and generally simple game, I think he could be an ideal partner for Yandle.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Speed and smoothness are irrelevant if you don't know where to be on the ice. Speed can actually get you into trouble or lull you into a false sense of security.

Summers has more to him than just wheels. He's reportedly a Biz level comedian and was voted guy you would most want to be in a foxhole with by his teammates at Michigan if I remember correctly. He knows how to throw the odd hit as well.

Basically, he's better than David Schlemko in every way. Now, in the future, and probably in the room as well. I hope he sticks.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Yes, I want Summers in as well, all facets of the game albeit maybe shot blocking Schlemko takes him, but that is the only thing

Time for Schlemko to become what he should have been from the start. A 7th Dman in case of injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad