GDT: Coyotes vs. Avs | 7 PM | Feb 28 | Zzz...

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Drouin has better dekes and hands than MacKinnon, but I think MacKinnon's vision got underrated due to playing at such a high pace, instead of being the guy who slows the game down.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I thought the Avs played a better game than the score (and the shot totals) implied. Avs were rolling four effective lines tonight, each one had stretches where they were pinning Phoenix in their own zone. That was the best game I've seen Bordy play in a long while.

Also a monster game from Max "Don't Call My Kid Spartacus" Talbot. The third line was far, far more effective with him on the wing.

Defense definitely needs EJ back, but the win was all the more impressive in that it was done without him.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
That was a fun game to be at. Pepsi Center was close to full. When Varly went BAMF at the end of the game, the crowd was nuts, maybe the loudest it's been all year.

Benoit is seriously struggling. I wonder if he possibly comes out of the lineup with EJ back in.

Go get a top 4 defenseman and this team could do some real damage.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
That was a fun game to be at. Pepsi Center was close to full. When Varly went BAMF at the end of the game, the crowd was nuts, maybe the loudest it's been all year.

Benoit is seriously struggling. I wonder if he possibly comes out of the lineup with EJ back in.

I know he's not exactly fleet of foot, but he looked REALLY slow out there tonight. Even slower than Sarich. Was he just getting caught out of position too much?

Mr Serious

Jul 23, 2011
I'm happier for the win. Even with EJ, there's no guarantee they win their next game.

There's never a guarantee, but getting back your best defender is always a plus. We will need him to continue to make a strong push to the playoffs.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

You definitely got your moneys worth on that one. The second was pretty tight checking and a little boring, but the 1st, and especially the 3rd was some pretty good hockey.

Benoit's definitely struggling, and has been for a while, but Sarich is even worse. Got to think he comes out before Benoit.

Here's just one example. His epic hip checks.

[NHL]2013020899-543-h[/NHL]

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'll say it again, that pass from Landy was awesome! Could have just fired it on net, but had the presence to know Paulie was there and put it right on his tape. What a job he's done developing that side of his game.

[NHL]2013020899-529-h[/NHL]

kitsel

Mar 31, 2012
I thought the Avs played a better game than the score (and the shot totals) implied. Avs were rolling four effective lines tonight, each one had stretches where they were pinning Phoenix in their own zone. That was the best game I've seen Bordy play in a long while.

Also a monster game from Max "Don't Call My Kid Spartacus" Talbot. The third line was far, far more effective with him on the wing.

Defense definitely needs EJ back, but the win was all the more impressive in that it was done without him.

This. For the first time in a while bordy looked pretty good. He had a couple great shifts in the offensive zone followed by a HUGE hit. Looked like he was skating a little better too.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
The best part is that Phoenix wasn't able to get a point. They always seem to get a game into OT and steal a point.

Yandle is basically a 4th forward out there. The guy is kind of a disaster in his own end. Admittedly, Barrie is the same way, but it's obvious why Yandle wasn't on Team USA.

If PAP plays the way he has the last few games, he can help this team. I have no doubt that some of the teams that were at the game tonight scouting (Ottawa, Pittsburgh) are looking at him though.

McGinn and Talbot had great games on the third line. Like I said in the trade thread earlier, I wouldn't mind picking up Tuomo Ruutu to fill out that line and carry over into next year.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
This. For the first time in a while bordy looked pretty good. He had a couple great shifts in the offensive zone followed by a HUGE hit. Looked like he was skating a little better too.

Definitely. He's had better games, but this was a pretty decent one for him, especially since he's been struggling. He was skating well, hitting, handling the puck well, making good decisions for the most part.

I think the break really helped guys like him and McLeod to recuperate physically. Think Bordy's still a little banged up though. Something lower body, like a leg, maybe a lingering charley horse or something. Lots of games this season he's go and make a hit and then go back to the bench and wince. Happened again tonight.

The way he hits kind of lends itself to it though. He goes straight in, and since he's so tall he almost leads with his legs sometimes, and it absorbs a lot of the blow. The shoulder taking all the punishment isn't always a great thing either. He should maybe hold back a little instead of trying to kill a guy on every hit. The physics of it just aren't good for him. There's just too much mass and inertia involved for such a big guy haha

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Take it for what it's worth but Dater tweeted that Bordy's hand (I guess he hurt it in his last fight) has fully healed. If so, it's good to finally have him back.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It's great how foolish the media looks now after their inane "Varly's confidence shattered, ruined for life!" olympic crap. Glad Roy is mocking them for it.

Thank god. It was the most Pejorative Slured meme ever.

I heard Bordy's hand was hurt from when he had a couple fights in a row, it was before Edmonton. He told some fans it was hurting pretty bad.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
I'll say it again, that pass from Landy was awesome! Could have just fired it on net, but had the presence to know Paulie was there and put it right on his tape. What a job he's done developing that side of his game.

[NHL]2013020899-529-h[/NHL]

Holy $#!& I never cease to be amazed by the wheels Mackinnon has

MvpKinnon

Jul 23, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
Fun fact about the goals: 3 of 4 goals were a result of a centering pass. 2 of them missed the target but the pointman picked it up and scored.

2nd goal: Landy misses Stastny. Guenin scores.
3rd goal: Landy to Stastny. Scores.
4th goal: MacKinnon misses Barrie. Phoenix player leaves his spot to cover Barrie. Landy scores.

2dwexyx.jpg

Last edited:

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I know some of you dislike advanced stats, and this isn't really about that, but I like seeing how systems vs. personnel affect possession and overall quality of play. We all know the Avs give up way too many shots, but I don't think that's a result of Roy's system, more the result of a defense that isn't up to snuff. His system encourages aggressive neutral zone play and skating the puck. I think with better D who can dominate the zone and move the puck out efficiently, you'll see lower shot totals next season. Think of how dominant this team will be once they get rid of their problem children on the blueline...

Contrast that with what's happening in Toronto and Montreal. Both adhere to a strict dump-and-chase system, despite the fact that Montreal at least has the speed, skill, and talent to employ a puck possession attack. Toronto probably can't, but their numbers under Wilson were better than they are under Carlyle.

I guess my point is, we have the right coach, we have the right system, and I don't think we're very far away from having the right roster.

viach

Aug 5, 2007
Disappointing talbot miss empty net at the end from Mack.

But I like this kind of attitude from our Calder Mack but next time try it alone plz ;)

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Just finished the replay. That was a great game. I thought the first and the second were good too. I knew Phoenix wouldn't be boring. Everyone played well which was nice to see after the sloppy LA game. MacKinnon was on another level tonight. He wasn't quite there against LA but really turned it up. Landy played really well too. And that shot from PA on the PP, don't think we've ever seen him do that, have we? And finally, Varly. Anyone who doubted him should be eating crow. He's done that all season. He's way more talented and focused to lose his game because of any one game.

Just noticed every single player dressed (besides Varly obv) had a shot on goal.

McNab had a great interview with Guenin. Very candid. Said MacKinnon burns them all in practice, like he had a checklist after the break to get them all.

Really nice win tonight, gets them back in the driver's seat. If they can get through Tampa I actually like that it sets up a showdown of sorts next week with the division leaders.

Nice to be done with Phoenix. I like having the tiebreaker on them, Minnesota and Dallas if it needs to come down to it.

Last edited:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
33k9j4n.jpg

Can anyone explain why Avs switched to pushing their defenders up with their sticks in the slot on the PK? They did it every single time, leaving players free down low. It's not Hejda freelancing. He clearly must have been instructed to play that way.

It looks insane and the result was two goals against.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: