Confirmed with Link: Coyotes trade Strome and Perlini for Nick Schmaltz

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Schmaltz already looks like a better player then Strome. He's only 22. He's got speed and a very nice curl and drag wrist shot. He can dangle too. Not that physical but has good speed unlike Strome.
It all depends on what Perlini does. I always thought he'd be a player in this league but maybe not.
Schmaltz is the better player and its not close right now. He had 50+ points last year, Strome might never do that (in the NHL). Points aside, Smaltz is solid away from the puck, Strome is poor away from the puck.

Reactions: johnchayka89

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm really enjoying Schmaltz. He's been very good. Has areas to improve but he's been better than I expected offensively.
I agree. He has played very well. Don't like him at C though, but not sure if we have any other choice. If he can continue on a point a game pace I guess a person should not be too picky where he plays.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Schmaltz already looks like a better player then Strome. He's only 22. He's got speed and a very nice curl and drag wrist shot. He can dangle too. Not that physical but has good speed unlike Strome.
It all depends on what Perlini does. I always thought he'd be a player in this league but maybe not.
I don't think anyone was denying that Schmaltz is the better player at the moment. Not sure about Perlini either

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Schmaltz is the better player and its not close right now. He had 50+ points last year, Strome might never do that (in the NHL). Points aside, Smaltz is solid away from the puck, Strome is poor away from the puck.
You are half right.:)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't like his faceoff skills but he's great up the middle.
I understand, but you can't have your 1st. line C at 30% FOW or less. Their possession is under 50% 5v5. If Schmaltz can get back to the 43% FOW's which is not great but much better than now, I think you would see the possession numbers spike a bit and the overall production for the first line even better than now.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I understand, but you can't have your 1st. line C at 30% FOW or less. Their possession is under 50% 5v5. If Schmaltz can get back to the 43% FOW's which is not great but much better than now, I think you would see the possession numbers spike a bit and the overall production for the first line even better than now.
Need a LW who can take draws on that line until Schmaltz can get his FOW % to a respectable number.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Need a LW who can take draws on that line until Schmaltz can get his FOW % to a respectable number.
Why not use Schmaltz as a winger? Schmaltz has been there done that with Chicago. I think Chicago may have thought twice about the trade if Schmaltz was cemented in as a C. What does Cobra always say "wingers are a dime a dozen", and that is probably one of the reasons he was traded, that and his contract demands which will be fun to watch unfold. I would have no problem with Schmaltz settling in as a winger because he sure as hell is not a C.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
A top NHL center will take 1,200 face offs per season. The benchmark seems to be 50% or 600 wins. Schmaltz is a career 37% which would be 444 wins. Which is a difference of 156 over 82 games. Meaning less than two face off wins per game difference.

The overall percentage difference for total team face offs is pretty small.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Perlini scored. He'll either score 4 goals in the next 4 goals or go 18 games without a goal.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
A top NHL center will take 1,200 face offs per season. The benchmark seems to be 50% or 600 wins. Schmaltz is a career 37% which would be 444 wins. Which is a difference of 156 over 82 games. Meaning less than two face off wins per game difference.

The overall percentage difference for total team face offs is pretty small.
Like Nash said, the single most important element of a hockey game is the face off. You lose it and you spend most if not all of your shift chasing the puck. It's not just Schmaltz we are talking about here as the rest of our centers except Richardson are so erratic at taking draws you have no idea what you will get game to game. You lose a draw on the PP and you start chasing it losing valuable seconds.

rt

May 13, 2004
Like Nash said, the single most important element of a hockey game is the face off. You lose it and you spend most if not all of your shift chasing the puck. It's not just Schmaltz we are talking about here as the rest of our centers except Richardson are so erratic at taking draws you have no idea what you will get game to game. You lose a draw on the PP and you start chasing it losing valuable seconds.

Okay, so you have made your anecdotal case. Any statistical analysis about FO% and W% correlation?

I’ll be honest, I’m really not buying the idea that being 40% rather than 50% really matters much in terms of final score outcomes.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I think winning faceoffs at key times of the game is important.

But overall it doesn't appear to matter in terms of who is considered "best" at the position.

MacKinnon leads all centers with 52 pts, but only wins 41% of faceoffs, and he has taken the most faceoffs on his team.

Among the top 10 pt producing centermen in the league, 7 are below 50% on the dot.

Regarding team stats, no correlation between faceoff % and wins.

O1uOuyw.png

rt

May 13, 2004
I think winning faceoffs at key times of the game is important.

But overall it doesn't appear to matter in terms of who is considered "best" at the position.

MacKinnon leads all centers with 52 pts, but only wins 41% of faceoffs, and he has taken the most faceoffs on his team.

Among the top 10 pt producing centermen in the league, 7 are below 50% on the dot.

Regarding team stats, no correlation between faceoff % and wins.

O1uOuyw.png
Exactly what I suspected. Thank you. I’d argue having a couple of guys who can reliably win upwards of 60% of their draws is a good thing for key moments. All the better if they’re you’re top guys like Schmaltz or Stepan. If they’re not, oh well. It doesn’t really matter much.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
My take on that FO thing is that in the long run that stat gets less important. However, in a single game it can make a difference. On a league whole, the % isn't as variable as it might sound. All the teams on that chart fall within 8% of each other. That's including Philly who seems to be far above the rest... so really it's 6% from worst to first.

It's like getting struck by lightning. 1-700,000 chance of getting struck in a year in the U.S. ... 1-3,000 chance in a lifetime. That number obviously changes a lot during the time frame. Amount of time makes those kind of stats mean less and less. However, we still don't walk outside in the middle of an open field during lightning storms because the one time is a lot more important to avoid. Well, I just assume everyone here doesn't do that. Maybe we do? We are Coyote's fans after all haha.

However I will say that 37% is especially bad. I almost feel like a random player could try every time and get around that high of a % just by luck. As a C they should at least be in the 40% range. If it was just Schmaltz career average on that chart... it wouldn't even be on it because it's so low. Just an orange line plunging into the abyss.

I wonder if there is any relevance to FO% during the special teams and success of said special teams? That would be a good thing to look into!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad