Confirmed with Link: Coyotes trade Strome and Perlini for Nick Schmaltz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I agree that Tocc didn't put Strome in a position to succeed if that means goals and points. If he would have played him with keller and a TOI of 20 minutes a night, first line PP, Strome would have succeeded if you mean had more points. Tocc didn't want to suffer the 1-8 consequences of putting Strome in a position to succeed. He decided wins were more important. Keep in mind our GAA is much better this year. Maybe the Hawks plan is to outscore their opponent to over come the second worst GAA in the NHL at 3.73 per game. Strome can help them for sure:)
You do know that it's a team sport. A player that plays 12 TOI would not be the determining factor if a team goes 1-8. You keep on talking about points but Strome didn't have much luck with that here because of where RT slotted him in the line up. You would think that a coach who has a team in the bottom three of scoring in the entire league would try anything to get his team scoring.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The NBC color guy praised Strome on the play as well. Not the Chicago announcer, the impartial NBC guy.

I don't give a **** about Chicago. At this point, the only reason I want to see Strome do well is to get some changes to happen here. If we don't commit 100% to developing our prospects we'll never have a contender. We have an inexperienced coach and GM ****ing that up royally right now striving to be average and they are even failing at that.
I don't think it has anything to do with development, rather how and where the coach plays a player. I do hope that Chicago keeps on falling flat on their face, same goes for the Kings. Only problem, one of them will probably get Hughes.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
That was a great play by Strome and something he NEVER exhibited here. He either wanted out, or the trade was a nice wake up.

He played like a Bambi eyed little wimp for the most part when he was here, what he did last night was the NHL worthy.

I agree, but if he wanted out, why? Domi last year, Strome this year. IF playing at 50% gets you out of Dodge, more players will do it in the future. We are entering dangerous territory here IF these two players wanted out.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I agree, but if he wanted out, why? Domi last year, Strome this year. IF playing at 50% gets you out of Dodge, more players will do it in the future. We are entering dangerous territory here IF these two players wanted out.

Wanting out and being happy at your new destination can be completely unconnected emotions. They could have been very happy in AZ, but also thrilled to be with their new clubs and their history, fans, budget, etc.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This. We can argue that it was a lack of confidence or whatever, but if he exhibited even some of what he has shown at times, regardless of which line he was on, it would have taken notice. I do remember very early in the year, there was a time when Strome pulled up before he would have actually bodied up to a player. Even Nash called this out in the replay. The next time down the ice, he at least took the additional step to skate straight through and at least absorb some contact, which was exactly what Nash was trying to emphasize - you can't play soft in this league and if you continue down the path of avoiding contact, etc. - you are asking to be given limited minutes right then and there. Sadly, that was one of the last times that he did actually appear to take coaching to heart, as we often saw him wind up pulling up to avoid contact, etc.

Yes, he is being given more minutes in Chicago, but one thing that doesn't seem to get talked about is the events leading up to what he does. Remember the first goal that was scored by him as a Blackhawk? That was set up by Debrincat and Kane, and he pounced on a loose puck. Look at the goal that he scored against Winnipeg. He did a great job of staying patient and managing the play, but some of that was a result of the fact that when carrying the puck into the offensive zone, it was a 2-on-1 and the defenseman had to maintain a good distance to cover both players. The outcome may not have been the same if it was carried in 2-on-2 and a man actually had to take Strome on. Yes, he stayed with the puck when the defender laid out, but doesn't it also say something when all 3 defenders are to the left of the cage, and Strome is the only player on the right side of the net? Opportunistic? Yes. Would we be saying the same thing if a defender had actually been right there in his face? Maybe not. It was the same thing with the goal against Pittsburgh - good for him for helping out to free the puck - the Penguin defenders bunched up and that created the odd-man opportunity when two guys are below goal-line extended and can't find the puck. There was also a misplay of the puck by the defenders, so was it a "right place, right time" type of situation that we have grown accustomed to with describing Strome? Eventually, if he is doing the right things on the ice, he will get more of the "right place, right time" situations, and that is why I think the trade to Chicago may have been the eye-opener to get him to wake up. Otherwise, if we kept him on the team, he would have been the same floater (whether caused by coaching, or caused by his own lack of desperation) that we saw before.

That's why we got rid of him - we didn't need a floater. That's exactly what he had started to turn into, and as I have said before, I don't think that is a coaching thing, but more a player ego thing. The player thinks that he deserves time or minutes that they haven't proven that they should get. Unfortunately, sending him to the AHL, sitting him, or playing him on the 4th line wasn't going to open his eyes to the changes that he needed to make. A trade was the only way that it could occur. It sucks, but that is the situation that we were in - we were fairly patient with him, to be honest, but Chayka's statement kind of said it all - especially in line with how he played with the Blackhawks recently - we couldn't rely on "hope" anymore, which tells me that he wasn't interested in doing the things that were asked of him and hoping that he finally did them, but b/c he has talent, we wanted to find a place for him to try and use that skill, which was why he became glued to the 4th line. Prove that you want to take the extra steps, and that will prove an increase in minutes.

Happens with any young player, but I think he became disinterested in us, and we became disinterested in him.
Why did he become disinterested in us? Usually, I back the organization because most times it's up to the player to improve, but in this case I blame RT. He didn't have an open mind about Strome, and most of us knew this before the season even started. Chayka praises him at the start of the year, saying he has done everything they asked of him, (then he trades him and say's the opposite about him, which I believe was inappropriate to say about any traded player). then the coach plays him in exactly the position he should not play. How can you say we were fairly patient with him. He has less that 50 NHL games under his belt. The kid has produced at every level, he deserved the right for the organization to give him at least two years in the big show and put him in a position to succeed. You said Strome is a floater, but his style makes him look that way on many plays. Right now we have a bunch of greyhounds trying to catch that rabbit.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Strome has always been a player you didn't really notice until you checked the scoresheet and you see he has 3 points. That's who he's always been. To expect that he's going to be this flashy every situation pivot just means our scouts didn't do their homework. It shocks me that my uneducated opinion appears to be more accurate than the people this organization actually pay to make these calls.
It's more like our coach didn't do his homework. Someone should tell RT that Strome is not a fourth line grinder. A position he put him in constantly. Talk about putting a round peg in a square hole.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Reading some of these posts, I think it's clear we can't really get a handle on what we have in Schmaltz until we play him for awhile on the fourth line, scratch him after every mistake (and he's already making several), and then see how many points he generates and how interested he still looks after a couple years.

If he still wants to be here then, and only then, we'll know he's a keeper.
This is your best post. EVER.:laugh:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Wanting out and being happy at your new destination can be completely unconnected emotions. They could have been very happy in AZ, but also thrilled to be with their new clubs and their history, fans, budget, etc.
Sorry, but I don't know what you are trying to say. I didn't mention or was talking about Chicago, rather Strome's departure from the Yotes.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Reading some of these posts, I think it's clear we can't really get a handle on what we have in Schmaltz until we play him for awhile on the fourth line, scratch him after every mistake (and he's already making several), and then see how many points he generates and how interested he still looks after a couple years.

If he still wants to be here then, and only then, we'll know he's a keeper.
Such a good post.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
My guess is that Chayka’s rationale behind this trade is that he sees Schmaltz’s peak as higher than Strome’s and so he went for it. I agree it was weird that Strome wasn’t given more chances on a higher skill line in the NHL, and that made the trade look like poor asset management because Strome was at such a low point in his value at the time. In the end he may be right that Schmaltz is going to be the better player, but it still shows an inability to get full value out of our assets, particularly when playing Strome on a top line is immediately done in Chicago and immediately works out.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Before everyone gets too excited about Strome's production with his new linemates I'll point out that Panik once scored over 20 goals and 44 points in that situation. The Jury is still out on what Strome is??

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Why did he become disinterested in us? Usually, I back the organization because most times it's up to the player to improve, but in this case I blame RT. He didn't have an open mind about Strome, and most of us knew this before the season even started. Chayka praises him at the start of the year, saying he has done everything they asked of him, (then he trades him and say's the opposite about him, which I believe was inappropriate to say about any traded player). then the coach plays him in exactly the position he should not play. How can you say we were fairly patient with him. He has less that 50 NHL games under his belt. The kid has produced at every level, he deserved the right for the organization to give him at least two years in the big show and put him in a position to succeed. You said Strome is a floater, but his style makes him look that way on many plays. Right now we have a bunch of greyhounds trying to catch that rabbit.

Zawaski: Hawks' Strome Impressing Since Trade

So, I may be making a conjecture here, but read this story, and then ask yourself if this sounds like the Strome that we got to know, especially with this nugget:

In a loss at Winnipeg on Tuesday, Strome also also made a point to stick up for his teammates after questionable hits. He once came to the aid of Jonathan Toews and another time to Alex DeBrincat. While this shouldn’t be noteworthy, the Blackhawks' effort and commitment have been questioned lately as they've only once twice in their past 10 games. For a 21-year-old kid like Strome to join a new, veteran-laden team and put himself in the face of player like Dustin Byfuglien says something about his character.

So why is it that Strome never appeared to do that for us? It had been discussed by a few here that he tended to play soft for us. It could have been the coaching, and it wouldn't be the first time that players disagree with their coaches. Ask Senator players about that. Turris didnt like being sent to the A, and maybe Strome had the same mindset.

Much like this thread, it is best to just move on. Maybe there were problems on both sides and when someone has to manage 22 other athletes on the roster and one or two aren't with the program, those 1 or 2 are the ones that go. Life isnt fair.

Oh, and since Turris and Strome were both 3rd OA picks who may have had disagreements with their use that forced our hand one way or another, just trade out of the #3 slot from here to eternity, right?

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Zawaski: Hawks' Strome Impressing Since Trade

So, I may be making a conjecture here, but read this story, and then ask yourself if this sounds like the Strome that we got to know, especially with this nugget:

In a loss at Winnipeg on Tuesday, Strome also also made a point to stick up for his teammates after questionable hits. He once came to the aid of Jonathan Toews and another time to Alex DeBrincat. While this shouldn’t be noteworthy, the Blackhawks' effort and commitment have been questioned lately as they've only once twice in their past 10 games. For a 21-year-old kid like Strome to join a new, veteran-laden team and put himself in the face of player like Dustin Byfuglien says something about his character.

So why is it that Strome never appeared to do that for us? It had been discussed by a few here that he tended to play soft for us. It could have been the coaching, and it wouldn't be the first time that players disagree with their coaches. Ask Senator players about that. Turris didnt like being sent to the A, and maybe Strome had the same mindset.

Much like this thread, it is best to just move on. Maybe there were problems on both sides and when someone has to manage 22 other athletes on the roster and one or two aren't with the program, those 1 or 2 are the ones that go. Life isnt fair.

Oh, and since Turris and Strome were both 3rd OA picks who may have had disagreements with their use that forced our hand one way or another, just trade out of the #3 slot from here to eternity, right?

Indeed stuff like this makes me wonder what the coaches are telling the players here. You absolutely don't see that standing up for team mate thing here very often at all. It's actually to the level of a little weird, imo. All through their playing careers I know these players have done it before... but why not here/now? Strange to me.

The systematic thing is what I am most concerned about. For a team in the Yote's position they can not afford to mess up top 5 picks. Whatever has happened or is happening... they have to make sure they draft AND develop well and keep the players or at minimum get full value for them.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Indeed stuff like this makes me wonder what the coaches are telling the players here. You absolutely don't see that standing up for team mate thing here very often at all. It's actually to the level of a little weird, imo. All through their playing careers I know these players have done it before... but why not here/now? Strange to me.

The systematic thing is what I am most concerned about. For a team in the Yote's position they can not afford to mess up top 5 picks. Whatever has happened or is happening... they have to make sure they draft AND develop well and keep the players or at minimum get full value for them.

And it could very well be something relating to coaching strategy. But I do think that we have made some, albeit, limited attempts to stand up to opposition. The Nashville game comes to mind.

But, we also have to look at the player as well. Why is it that all of a sudden, he wants to engage? Was it because he was that unhappy here and we didnt know he was unhappy? If the effort that was presented in the story was presented on the 4th line here, I can guarantee two things:

1) the coach would not have a reason to dislike Strome
2) he wouldn't be on the 4th line for a long time, as he would earn that trust through his play

This is one of those divorces that comes down to "irreconcilable differences" which also sucks because it is the lamest excuse, as we always want to be able to put clear blame on one side or the other. It sounds like Strome had his ideas of what he is and how he needed to be used and the staff knew what he could become but never saw him take the right steps to be that way. We tried to do as much as we could to keep the asset in good standing, but that is a two-way street. If we weren't happy with his response, we cant justify giving him more ice time on the top line. If Strome wasnt happy with his use, he can go through the motions, but never put forth the full effort to make that statement that he deserved to be in a certain place. Playing in front of a 60-80% arena may have also helped to influence that as well, but the resilient and emotionally intelligent players can put that past them. There are few emotionally intelligent 20-25 year olds out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
And it could very well be something relating to coaching strategy. But I do think that we have made some, albeit, pointed attempts to stand up to opposition. The Nashville game comes to mind.

But, we also have to look at the player as well. Why is it that all of a sudden, he wants to engage? Was it because he was that unhappy here and we didnt know he was unhappy? If the effort that was presented in the story was presented on the 4th line here, I can guarantee two things:

2) he wouldn't be on the 4th line for a long time, as he would earn that trust through his play

This is one of those divorces that comes down to "irreconcilable differences" which also sucks because it is the lamest excuse, as we always want to be able to put clear blame on one side or the other. It sounds like Strome had his ideas of what he is and how he needed to be used and the staff knew what he could become but never saw him take the right steps to be that way. We tried to do as much as we could to keep the asset in good standing, but that is a two-way street. If we weren't happy with his response, we cant justify giving him more ice time on the top line. If Strome wasnt happy with his use, he can go through the motions, but never put forth the full effort to make that statement that he deserved to be in a certain place. Playing in front of a 60-80% arena may have also helped to influence that as well, but the resilient and emotionally intelligent players can put that past them. There are few emotionally intelligent 20-25 year olds out there.

The strange thing is that I know for a fact at least a hand full of these players WOULD stand up for team mates on the regular and have done so before. But it's very strange that through 30 games this year we can only think of a game or two where they have done it. There have been many other games it was possible but they didn't go for it for some reason. Such a lower percentage than one would expect. It would be awesome if we ever heard if this was intentional or not.

Heck, I don't know if it's even an age thing. I don't know many people who would choose to put in 100% effort for a boss they perceive to be treating them unfairly in comparison to their co-workers regardless of age. Especially true if they know they can have a job with a better boss elsewhere.

I know he was hired because of his "communication skills", but considering how long it took to get things together last year and the results so far this year... I don't think RT actually communicates very well. At least as a head coach. In just 2 seasons under his reign, this team has jettisoned a lot of young players. Something to keep an eye on, imo.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I think that there tends to be a lot of excitement about a new player.

These articles don’t mean anything.

Again, ask yourself (knowing how funny that is considering your user name) - did Strome ever give you the impression that he was willing to stick up for a teammate while here? For the people who saw him often in Tucson - did he ever make you think that he was willing to stand up for a teammate in that way?

It is the Turris thing all over again - he simply didn't want to play here. Some of that may have been related to his usage, but why is he special? Didn't Auston Matthews start off playing the lower lines in about his first 6 games with the Leafs? When it was apparent that he was doing the right things on lower lines, he earned that time with the top line. Could he have been started on the top line right away? Sure. But you have to prove that you are doing the right things to earn that time. Why is it that Matthews and McDavid understood that you earn time and it isn't just given to you, but Strome didn't see it that way?

No different than how he started off in Chicago anyhow. Here are his minutes and yes, he got some time with Kane and Debrincat, but that wasn't always the case in the first 6-7 games. The first game, yes. He is a new player and the Blackhawks wanted to see what they had, especially in a game that they were losing 3-0 in the first period. Here were his minutes:

Game 1: 15:32
Game 2: 13:18
Game 3: 13:37
Game 4: 12:41
Game 5: 15:05
Game 6: 19:14
Game 7: 13:31
Game 8: 16:23
Game 9: 19:43
Game 10: 16:35

Some of that is getting familiar with system, but also, he is proving that he is willing to do some of the little things (standing up for teammates, playing more physically, putting the effort in) that we didn't see here in double the amount of games. That is why he is now earning a little more time on ice. Kane and/or Debrincat would be double-shifted regardless of whether Strome is there or not.

For whatever reason (internal or external), Strome decided that he didn't want to play to the standard that our coaching staff wanted, but more importantly, to the standard that he was capable of playing to as well. Schmaltz has done well for us. We can get as mad as we want at the lack of using Strome on the top line, but every player needs to be accountable, and why should he get rewarded for not putting in the effort? It is 100% the Turris syndrome all over again, and there wasn't any way to get out of it. Be glad that we didn't trade him for a mediocre 5/6 defenseman who lasted another 60 games in the NHL total and a 2nd round pick, like Turris garnered.

Last edited:

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Marner also spent quite a bit of time on 4th line last year until he played his way back up the lineup. Accountability is demanded in some places by those with high expectations.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Before everyone gets too excited about Strome's production with his new linemates I'll point out that Panik once scored over 20 goals and 44 points in that situation. The Jury is still out on what Strome is??
Strome is far from a finished product. That is good news for the Hawks.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Strome is far from a finished product. That is good news for the Hawks.
I think you mean that is possibly good news for the Hawks . The trade for the Hawks was probably as much about next year's contract as Stone's potential.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
And it could very well be something relating to coaching strategy. But I do think that we have made some, albeit, limited attempts to stand up to opposition. The Nashville game comes to mind.

Come on now, RT didn't like Strome from day one, and you knew this when listening to his pressers. I and many others said Strome would be traded sooner than later, and guess what happened.He did like Perlini, and that is why he was not held accountable. I thought that Perlini's play deserved a scratch or two. RT has his fav's. Let's forget about the trade for a second, my question would be why did Domi want out? Why Strome? We can't keep on trading players just because they want out.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Come on now, RT didn't like Strome from day one, and you knew this when listening to his pressers. I and many others said Strome would be traded sooner than later, and guess what happened.He did like Perlini, and that is why he was not held accountable. I thought that Perlini's play deserved a scratch or two. RT has his fav's. Let's forget about the trade for a second, my question would be why did Domi want out? Why Strome? We can't keep on trading players just because they want out.
I've suggested before that weather is really not that high on the list of importance for many players and was kind of ridiculed. It's just possible some players value having a competitive team with a large fan base more than shorts in the winter??

johnchayka89

Don’t Fail the Plan...
Jun 23, 2018
Scottsdale
www.nhl.com
Again, ask yourself (knowing how funny that is considering your user name) - did Strome ever give you the impression that he was willing to stick up for a teammate while here? For the people who saw him often in Tucson - did he ever make you think that he was willing to stand up for a teammate in that way?

It is the Turris thing all over again - he simply didn't want to play here. Some of that may have been related to his usage, but why is he special? Didn't Auston Matthews start off playing the lower lines in about his first 6 games with the Leafs? When it was apparent that he was doing the right things on lower lines, he earned that time with the top line. Could he have been started on the top line right away? Sure. But you have to prove that you are doing the right things to earn that time. Why is it that Matthews and McDavid understood that you earn time and it isn't just given to you, but Strome didn't see it that way?

No different than how he started off in Chicago anyhow. Here are his minutes and yes, he got some time with Kane and Debrincat, but that wasn't always the case in the first 6-7 games. The first game, yes. He is a new player and the Blackhawks wanted to see what they had, especially in a game that they were losing 3-0 in the first period. Here were his minutes:

Game 1: 15:32
Game 2: 13:18
Game 3: 13:37
Game 4: 12:41
Game 5: 15:05
Game 6: 19:14
Game 7: 13:31
Game 8: 16:23
Game 9: 19:43
Game 10: 16:35

Some of that is getting familiar with system, but also, he is proving that he is willing to do some of the little things (standing up for teammates, playing more physically, putting the effort in) that we didn't see here in double the amount of games. That is why he is now earning a little more time on ice. Kane and/or Debrincat would be double-shifted regardless of whether Strome is there or not.

For whatever reason (internal or external), Strome decided that he didn't want to play to the standard that our coaching staff wanted, but more importantly, to the standard that he was capable of playing to as well. Schmaltz has done well for us. We can get as mad as we want at the lack of using Strome on the top line, but every player needs to be accountable, and why should he get rewarded for not putting in the effort? It is 100% the Turris syndrome all over again, and there wasn't any way to get out of it. Be glad that we didn't trade him for a mediocre 5/6 defenseman who lasted another 60 games in the NHL total and a 2nd round pick, like Turris garnered.

I see this a little differently. Sure, I think Dylan blamed his underperformance on the Coyotes. But he cannot do that anymore.
Of course he feels the sense of urgency now and knows he has to bring an edge or else...

I think Chicago is doing a great job building his confidence. It great when you the luxury of having Stanley cup pedigree on the roster.
But the reality is there will eventually be high expectations for Dylan. That changes things quite a bit. Right now the Hawks are obviously embracing a “tank season”. So it’s a non issue right now.

I don’t see the “Strome didn’t want to play here”. I just see a new spark in him. Will it last? That depends on the kind of core person he is. True colors will eventually bleed through.

Reactions: Kaizen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad