Confirmed with Link: Coyotes trade Strome and Perlini for Nick Schmaltz - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
And matter of factly, even how he is presently playing he isn't good enough to be just given opportunity. I suspect if you could watch the player in Chicago is not quite the same guy he was in AZ behind the scenes. I would bet more on reversion than continuation .
Not sure if I understand your first sentence. The way it looks to me, the Chicago coaching staff is giving him just that, an opportunity.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
You mean the one where they reward a player who they don't think has earned that reward? Yeah that always goes well in professional sports. I hope you don't wonder where Country Club environment comes from.

You get it...

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Not sure if I understand your first sentence. The way it looks to me, the Chicago coaching staff is giving him just that, an opportunity.

An opportunity in being given an immense amount of PP time to mask his weaknesses.

I am not a hunter, but that would be like giving me the opportunity to hunt and taking me out to a field full of deer who have multiple sclerosis. I am being given the opportunity, but let's also not forget for one second that by giving me an easier situation, my transcendence to becoming a great hunter takes place. What is funny is the parallel that we did give Strome "easier" minutes on the 3rd line, as opposed to the 1st line, and he didn't take advantage of that.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
You mean the one where they reward a player who they don't think has earned that reward? Yeah that always goes well in professional sports. I hope you don't wonder where Country Club environment comes from.
I was vocal about being ok with Strome playing 4th line while he learned Tocchet's lessons. The thing is he only played 20 games as a Coyote this season. How can so many posters on this board claim that he had every opportunity here?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
You have no idea how he arrived in Chi or how hard he worked out of sight.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I was vocal about being ok with Strome playing 4th line while he learned Tocchet's lessons. The thing is he only played 20 games as a Coyote this season. How can so many posters on this board claim that he had every opportunity here?
I don't anyone has claimed that?? We claim that we have no idea what he earned and the folks that see everything didn't think he earned anything.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

As Jamieh said in an earlier post, maybe it is not just the games. Maybe there was an attitude in practice. Maybe he didnt come into camp in great shape because he didnt follow the lifting and nutritionary thoughts that other players did. Maybe for all of his skill, we simply couldn't find that chemistry amongst the other 11-13 forwards.

We tend to focus on games alone and dont think about anything off ice. If that were the case and Slava Voynov were a Coyote, he would still be on the team, because it is all about what takes place during games only, and nothing else matters right?

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

I think the true crux of this is that yes, he may not have been GIVEN every opportunity, but opportunity isn't just handed out like Oprah would hand out gifts to her audience. Opportunity also has to be EARNED, and I think it is a fair question: did Strome earn his opportunity here and has he earned his opportunity in Chicago?

I dont think he has in either place, but I also think that because of the way Chicago is playing him by putting him into situations that are beneficial (tremendous PP time in a setting where your team has the player advantage), it appears that he is earning that opportunity. And maybe this is a small start to the trust factor for him, but he also likely has a long way to go before expecting him to play 16-18 minutes of ES time per night as a #1 C. His ES time lends him to be right around a 3rd line C, same as what it was here...

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
We were desperate for a top six scoring center for decades. We drafted one #3 overall and then didn't do everything to put him in a position to shine. That's just stupid and typical of decisions made by this organization over and over no matter who has been running it. Could it be that we just haven't paid a GM/President type of position enough to attract someone that could build a winner here?

All I know is the kid is playing well as their #2 center and has elevated the play around him. I know only a few of us have actually watched the games he's played but if you watch, the points he's had don't tell the whole story. He's around the net constantly especially on the PP and his passing has been outstanding in the offensive and defensive zone. There's a new interview on the Athletic I saw part of (because I don't have a subscription) where he talks about playing the role he's always played unlike what he was forced to do here. The difference between an organization that has won cups and one ran by a burger joint owner with no experience that should still be learning as an assistant GM at best.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Don’t underestimate the fact that Strome may just be happier and that is translating to better play. Debrincat is literally his best friend ever...McDavid was just recently quoted as saying that he’s “never seen two guys closer off the ice...they love each other.” Not saying that Strome didn’t like or get along with his teammates here, I’m sure he did, but the kid is probably just happier being with his best bud in an original six market, getting a chance to play higher in the lineup because CHI’s roster is way worse than our’s (when healthy). Being happier and in better spirits on a consistent basis I’m sure is translating in some way on the ice for him...

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Well, coincidentally, I imagine we could do a better job of keeping young players happy. How many have we had ask/bail out over the perception of our (in-)ability to develop and put them in a position to succeed (whether one believes that perception is founded or not)?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Well, coincidentally, I imagine we could do a better job of keeping young players happy. How many have we had ask/bail out over the perception of our (in-)ability to develop and put them in a position to succeed (whether one believes that perception is founded or not)?
Exactly. We sure seem to be great at souring young players on our team.

Reactions: RemoAZ

rt

May 13, 2004
That’s all heresay and assumption. I don’t know of any actual concrete evidence that would support that...
Huh? How far back do you want to go? Mueller asked for a trade. Turris demanded a trade. Duclair asked for a trade. Rumors suggest that Domi wanted out. Now people are speculating that Strome’s level of happiness can be credited for his new success.

Having said all of that, Dvorak and Chychrun signed long term and OEL grew up on this team and has made his intentions to stay forever pretty clear.

I guess we just have to hope that Keller is in that second camp, rather than the first one. I know we sure could use a .88ppg young winger like Domi and a .87ppg center like Strome. Too bad they both apparently wanted to leave, or at least weren’t happy (supposedly).

It’s certainly possible that Schmaltz and Galchenyuk are as productive moving forward. It’s certainly possible that both are happy here. If both of those things hold true, than we really don’t have a problem. It remains to be seen.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Huh? How far back do you want to go? Mueller asked for a trade. Turris demanded a trade. Duclair asked for a trade. Rumors suggest that Domi wanted out. Now people are speculating that Strome’s level of happiness can be credited for his new success.

Having said all of that, Dvorak and Chychrun signed long term and OEL grew up on this team and has made his intentions to stay forever pretty clear.

I guess we just have to hope that Keller is in that second camp, rather than the first one. I know we sure could use a .88ppg young winger like Domi and a .87ppg center like Strome. Too bad they both apparently wanted to leave, or at least weren’t happy (supposedly).

It’s certainly possible that Schmaltz and Galchenyuk are as productive moving forward. It’s certainly possible that both are happy here. If both of those things hold true, than we really don’t have a problem. It remains to be seen.

Do you not see some of the parallels? Turris was disappointed after getting sent down to San Antonio, yet Boedker had no problem with it. Mueller was asked to <gulp> play a 2 way game and found himself in Tippett's doghouse for not doing so. Same thing with Duclair. Domi is the only player where there was little evidence of a player thinking that he was "more deserving." That's why Chayka actually stated that in order to make the move, they had to give up Domi in trading value for value. I kind of throw Domi out because that seemed more in the interest of a true hockey move to strengthen an area of weakness.

Now compare those players above to Dvorak, Chychrun, and Keller. Do any one of those 3 sound salty about playing time or lack of opportunity? Do they seem like the types that are putting in maximum unquestioned effort day in and day out? I think you are answering your own question here. Some people sulk when the chips are down and some seize the opportunity to make it better.

Let's put it this way - the expectation was that Strome became like Joe Thornton - solid C who provided a great 2 way game. How well can his 2 way game evolve when he gets used primarily on the PP in Chicago, and may not be putting the effort in on the defensive side or in other areas (going to the crease effectively, playing the corners and board work, physicality)? Keller may not be great in the corners, but at least he has the guts to play in traffic.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I think the true crux of this is that yes, he may not have been GIVEN every opportunity, but opportunity isn't just handed out like Oprah would hand out gifts to her audience. Opportunity also has to be EARNED, and I think it is a fair question: did Strome earn his opportunity here and has he earned his opportunity in Chicago?

I dont think he has in either place, but I also think that because of the way Chicago is playing him by putting him into situations that are beneficial (tremendous PP time in a setting where your team has the player advantage), it appears that he is earning that opportunity. And maybe this is a small start to the trust factor for him, but he also likely has a long way to go before expecting him to play 16-18 minutes of ES time per night as a #1 C. His ES time lends him to be right around a 3rd line C, same as what it was here...
If you peal the onion back, PP minutes and time with Kane/Debrinct are where Strome's production is coming from, that doesn't surprise me. The coach is looking over his short comings away from the puck (to please his GM for now) and his TOI at 5 on 5 is not 1C/2C in terms of minutes. Tip/Q/Torts/Tocc wouldn't give Strome the same minutes given his poor play away from the puck. Maybe the 30 year old coach is smarter than everyone else like our GM:).

rt

May 13, 2004
Sorry, I missed Galchenyuk’s incredible effort level and two-way game. Haha. He’s as one dimensional as they come. He’s a streaky goal scorer. That’s it. Nothing else to this player.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Sorry, I missed Galchenyuk’s incredible effort level and two-way game. Haha. He’s as one dimensional as they come. He’s a streaky goal scorer. That’s it. Nothing else to this player.
I disagree. His two way game may be lacking, but so is Keller's. Chucky, in my opinion has been our best forward the last dozen or so games. He can skate, is physical, goes to the dirty areas, can pass, shoot etc. Far from a one dimensional player.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona

I think very few of that has to do with the current regime, which means it’s irrelevant now anyway. The organization obviously has its flaws and isn’t perfect, but sometimes players demand trades and don’t work out in certain locations. Players have demanded trades from much more prestigious locations than the Coyotes for sure...it happens. Choosing to label that as a player “souring on the team” is just a blatant assumption. You simply have no proof of it unless you’re behind closed doors or someone chooses to air some dirty laundry...which to my knowledge, hasn’t happened.

rt

May 13, 2004
I think very few of that has to do with the current regime, which means it’s irrelevant now anyway. The organization obviously has its flaws and isn’t perfect, but sometimes players demand trades and don’t work out in certain locations. Players have demanded trades from much more prestigious locations than the Coyotes for sure...it happens. Choosing to label that as a player “souring on the team” is just a blatant assumption. You simply have no proof of it unless you’re behind closed doors or someone chooses to air some dirty laundry...which to my knowledge, hasn’t happened.
When is the effective date for this analysis? I honestly don’t know.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
When is the effective date for this analysis? I honestly don’t know.

Unless you’re behind closed doors or have definitive inside information, it’s always an assumption. No matter what the case or when...however far back you want to go. Turris and Mueller were weird cases and I agree something seemed to sour with them, especially Turris. But I haven’t gotten that sense at all with anyone in the current Barroway/Chayka/Tocchet regime. With Duke and Domi, I think sometimes it just doesn’t workout and both sides can move on and be friendly and it’s not about someone souring on the team or vice versa. It’s fun to speculate and have theory’s about what goes on but we honestly never know 100% truth of anything because we aren’t there.

rt

May 13, 2004
Unless you’re behind closed doors or have definitive inside information, it’s always an assumption. No matter what the case or when...however far back you want to go. Turris and Mueller were weird cases and I agree something seemed to sour with them, especially Turris. But I haven’t gotten that sense at all with anyone in the current Barroway/Chayka/Tocchet regime. With Duke and Domi, I think sometimes it just doesn’t workout and both sides can move on and be friendly and it’s not about someone souring on the team or vice versa. It’s fun to speculate and have theory’s about what goes on but we honestly never know 100% truth of anything because we aren’t there.
I’m just asking for the date I should be using.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I’m just asking for the date I should be using.

I don’t have a date for you bud, I’m just saying that aside from Turris, maybe, you can’t saying that players seem to “sour on the team.” There’s just no evidence to support it. If pressed for a date I would have to say the ever since Chayka has taken over as GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad