Confirmed with Link: Coyotes trade Strome and Perlini for Nick Schmaltz - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
yNlQWRM.jpg

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
As ducky pointed out - we traded 3 recent high first round picks (plus extras) for middling immediate help. This amounts to a desperate Hail Mary throw to reach the playoffs, a goal that is now out of reach. With this plan now in ruins, what is the next brilliant move by the Yotes management?

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
I think the big takeaway from this trade and the Domi trade is that Chayka is too impatient. If Domi had asked out, ok, but you don’t have to acquiesce. He doesn’t have all the leverage there. Look at Winnipeg with Trouba. Team does well and he rescinds his request.

Same with Strome, but unwillingly to put him with talent. He’s in the mold of a playmaker not a 4th liner. I don’t know if that’s Chayka siding with Tocchet because he hired Tocchet and didn’t want Strome in the first place, but it reeks of impatience on a team that isn’t contending and can afford to use the season as a development one. Schmaltz is good, but couldn’t we have gotten him for a lower price instead of our top prospect with no NHL experience?

I like all his other moves, but these ones had a lot higher risk and them not working out is way more painful.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Does GMJC know how to read a room or only the numbers on Excel?

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
How has Schmaltz played other than the points? Compete level? Play away from the puck? Last year he was much better in all these areas and this year we were all disappointed by his lack of compete and being out of position a lot

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
How has Schmaltz played other than the points? Compete level? Play away from the puck? Last year he was much better in all these areas and this year we were all disappointed by his lack of compete and being out of position a lot
At times very well. At other times he’s blown coverage badly and it resulted in a goal against. His level of engagement varies but in the offensive zone I’ve been impressed by his vision and chemistry with Keller.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I'd say against NYI the line with Keller and Schmaltz on it was pretty bad overall. They didn't threaten very much minus a few shifts and spent a lot of time in the D zone. They need to be split up, imo. Losing 5 out of 6 (lucky to have the 1 win there) means this team isn't playing well enough.

Also, as stated above... they wanted this trade because Schmaltz is supposed to be the better piece right now. They were done with "hoping". Well, the results for the team haven't really been great up to this point with more losses than wins, imo.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I'd say against NYI the line with Keller and Schmaltz on it was pretty bad overall. They didn't threaten very much minus a few shifts and spent a lot of time in the D zone. They need to be split up, imo. Losing 5 out of 6 (lucky to have the 1 win there) means this team isn't playing well enough.

Also, as stated above... they wanted this trade because Schmaltz is supposed to be the better piece right now. They were done with "hoping". Well, the results for the team haven't really been great up to this point with more losses than wins, imo.
I think Galchenyuk needs to be back on that line. We'll see if it changes as (if) we get players healthy.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I think the fans are done with "hoping" as well.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I like Schmaltz for what he is. But what that is is a one-dimensional smallish winger with engagement issues. He could definitely still improve, and he looks/is dynamic.
We might "win" this trade.

My biggest beef is we selected (again) an extremely talented kid and then (again) traded him without giving him an opportunity to be successful here. And we (again) depressed his value as a trade chip by rubbing his nose in shit, playing him out of position, on a fourth line, or continually scratching him.
And then we (again) insulted the guy after we sent him off with that "hope" and "patience" bullsnip as though we gave him every opportunity in the world.

We obviously have no plan and a very narrow view of what we want in even our offensive players. We obviously have no hope/patience to actually develop any kind of talent. The player is either NHL ready or doomed here. We might as well trade guys after one disappointing camp because noone works their way out of the dog house here.

It's been fun watching yet another 3rd overall that couldn't crack our absolute crap and thin roster go on to demonstrate elsewhere that he is obviously already a 2nd line center. This one a couple years younger and still on his ELC.

Also goes back to the "couple other guys" unhappy in the desert where offensive talent is destroyed.

There are other crappy teams that don't have a trail of players demanding out. Same with small markets.

But hey, at least we didn't accommodate or have to put up with these "entitled" prospects. And thank goodness we haven't had to watch young players make mistakes because we're too busy racking up all those wins with our reliable veteran star talent that doesn't make mistakes.

We have our recipe for eternal on-ice misery, and we're never going to change the recipe.

Last edited:

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I like Schmaltz for what he is. But what that is is a one-dimensional smallish winger with engagement issues. He could definitely still improve, and he looks/is dynamic.

My biggest beef is we selected (again) an extremely talented kid and then (again) traded him without giving him an opportunity to be successful here. And we (again) depressed his value as a trade chip by rubbing his nose in ****, playing him out of position, on a fourth line, or continually scratching him.
And then we (again) insulted the guy after we sent him off with that "hope" and "patience" bullsnip as though we gave him every opportunity in the world.

We obviously have no plan and a very narrow view of what we want in even our offensive players. We obviously have no hope/patience to actually develop any kind of talent. The player is either NHL ready or doomed here. We might as well trade guys after one disappointing camp because noone works their way out of the dog house here.

It's been fun watching yet another 3rd overall that couldn't crack our absolute crap and thin roster go on to demonstrate elsewhere that he is obviously already a 2nd line center. This one a couple years younger and still on his ELC.

Also goes back to the "couple other guys" unhappy in the desert where offensive talent is destroyed.

There are other crappy teams that don't have a trail of players demanding out. Same with small markets.

But hey, at least we didn't accommodate or have to put up with these "entitled" prospects. And thank goodness we haven't had to watch young players make mistakes because we're too busy racking up all those wins with our reliable veteran star talent that doesn't make mistakes.

We have our recipe for eternal on-ice misery, and we're never going to change the recipe.

Great post. We've needed one or two top six centers almost continuously since JR. Three players we drafted in the last decade are playing as top six centers, all with other teams. That's going to continue to haunt us. Now you have two wingers who shouldn't be centers. But like you said, at least we aren't having to put up with them. Yeah right and the only top six center we signed as a FA, who the HC loved was ACTUALLY a bad citizen and we're still freaking paying him.

Snarky Coyote

Sponsor
May 3, 2009
Now with more snark
I think when you have no money it is harder to work around mistakes. I remember when they bought out Ribero - now on the Leafs or the Rangers or even Kings you could have shipped his ass back to the echl and you lose a couple million dollars a year, it doesn't hit the team budget or cap. We do not have that option because every dollar counts, even the retirees dollars that are fictitious. Wen we make a mistake we can either play it or trade it at a loss. that has what's been happening. Strome was a mistake. We took him too early and passed on better players. We rolled the dice and lost. Most of the teams that draft well have $$$$. What we do is keep going back to the fridge hoping the refrigerator fairy will magically allow us to rearrange what we have and have it be better. It doesn't work like that in hockey. maybe we destroyed Strome, or maybe it was just a bad pick. Same with Perlinni. It doesn't matter it is what it is we trade potential for better now. It doesn't normally work.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
We've needed one or two top six centers almost continuously since JR

My absolute favourite part of this is hearing Chayka talk about how good centers don't grow on trees, aren't generally available, have to be drafted, "premium position" , yada yada, and we have now given up on (and took completely unprofessional shots at while doing so) a 21 year old 6'2" kid who looks like a top six center with another team who we decided wouldn't work here (who we summarily scratched and didn't even try to use properly because our evaluation sucks) and shipped out a heart and soul guy we ground down who happens to be having a PPG year lining up at center.
We've traded two "premium position", actually NHL-ready, top-six guys, 23 and 21yoa, who we drafted in less than six months. And I don't think a soul would say anyone paid us a premium to get them.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
What is interesting to me.

Maloney has a deal in place w CALGARY for Ribeiro to buy him out and AZ was including the pick that we used to take Perlini. Not sure what was coming back but I suspect we were moving down in draft.

Ribeiro btw nixed the deal w his NTC. We bought him out anyways.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
To be fair, Domi played center here. And sucked.

I agree but was that because of how bad the team sucked / line mates he was with or was it him? His game sparked when they put him with Strome. I know he played wing on a line with Keller for a while but those two never looked good together like he did with Duclair. I'd really like to know if this is another example of the team misevaluating the player and not putting him in a position to succeed or Domi was just either checked out or really had the worst season of his short career.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I agree but was that because of how bad the team sucked / line mates he was with or was it him? His game sparked when they put him with Strome. I know he played wing on a line with Keller for a while but those two never looked good together like he did with Duclair. I'd really like to know if this is another example of the team misevaluating the player and not putting him in a position to succeed or Domi was just either checked out or really had the worst season of his short career.
Domi was Schmaltz bad at center. They kept on feeding him minutes as a C and it never worked. At least they gave him minutes.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

My biggest beef is we selected (again) an extremely talented kid and then (again) traded him without giving him an opportunity to be successful here. And we (again) depressed his value as a trade chip by rubbing his nose in ****, playing him out of position, on a fourth line, or continually scratching him.

Taylor Hall says he didn't want a "dialogue" with his coaches with Edmonton Oilers

I posted this in another section, but it is worth a read. Unfortunately, everyone wants to make things black and white and promote the idea that the coaches or management are the problem and the player isn't. This is coming from a #1 overall pick. Maybe the trade is a "necessary evil" because for whatever reason, things weren't going to work out and that falls on both sides of the coin - player and coach/management.

I truly believe that things like this are more prevalent than people think, but it stays internal or is communicated in such a way, like Chayka did, to state that there was hope he would turn into the player that we and others expected, but we had crossed the threshold of relying on hope and it came time for action. I think there is an amount of fault to the coaches and an amount of fault to Strome in the ordeal, but not everything can only be that we outright failed the player. After reading the article, would you assume that the coaches failed Hall, or that Hall failed the coaches?

The author's takes are spot on and what some of us have been trying to say all along.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Schmaltz has 10 points and Strome and Perlini have combined for 8 points. They’re all within a year or so in age. This is fine. Schmaltz has looked good.

Go complain about Domi for Galchenyuk. That’s the trade that should get our GM fired.

It’s right to be mad. You’re all mad about the wrong thing.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Schmaltz has 10 points and Strome and Perlini have combined for 8 points. They’re all within a year or so in age. This is fine. Schmaltz has looked good.

Go complain about Domi for Galchenyuk. That’s the trade that should get our GM fired.

I'm not mad about either trade. Chucky has been the better player in the past, and I believe without the injuries he had his production would have been much better. Montreal is hitting on all 8 cylinders right now and are playing over their head. I don't think any so called experts had Montreal in the playoffs this year. You also can't judge a trade after 35 games.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

I'm mad about both because I like both players and there's a pattern with this team ruining or giving up on it's talented youth. I definitely liked Domi more wanting him to be the captain and all but they have to fix player development. It's completely broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad