Confirmed with Link: Coyotes trade Strome and Perlini for Nick Schmaltz - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Got bored so went through the game logs and made some tallies

Strome in his 31 games with Hawks

Goals: 10 (8 of which Kane assisted)
Primary Assists: 8
Secondary A: 9 (5 assists are on Kane goals, 6 on Debrincat goals)
Power play points: 8 (2 goals)
Shots: 55 (1.77/game, 18.2% shooting)
+/- = 0

27 points in 31 games (16 points Kane has been involved in which is 59%, and he has 4 points without Kane or Debrincat being involed)

Kane before the trade had 26 points in 23 games, after the trade has had an amazing 53 points in 31 games

Debrincat before the trade had 18 points in 24 games, since the trade has had 32 points in 31 games.

Complete stat watching so take what you want from it

Reactions: MIG and cobra427

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Man, it's amazing that you don't know Strome hasn't been playing with Kane the last few weeks, seeing as you claim to be a season ticket owner. 3-10-13 +2 in his last eight games showing his vision and playmaking on nearly every shift. I've watched most of the games.

Should probably get those eyes checked or see a proctologist for that cranial-rectal inversion.

He's not.
See stats, last post, pretty sure Strome is benefitting from Kane, and 4 points without Kane or Debrinct too:)

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
See stats, last post, pretty sure Strome is benefitting from Kane, and 4 points without Kane or Debrinct too:)
Of course he is benefiting from playing with high end skill players. He is a high IQ player that needs to play with smart players ie ones that also see the game the same way ie find the right space on the ice to get or give a pass. It was questioned over and over, "why were the Coyotes playing Strome with plugs?".

Chayka panicked and gave up on that coveted big, skilled C he has been talking about since Strome was drafted. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

The Domi trade was dumb, too, though there may have been off ice issues (maybe Domi asked for a trade?).

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Of course he is benefiting from playing with high end skill players. He is a high IQ player that needs to play with smart players ie ones that also see the game the same way ie find the right space on the ice to get or give a pass. It was questioned over and over, "why were the Coyotes playing Strome with plugs?".

Chayka panicked and gave up on that coveted big, skilled C he has been talking about since Strome was drafted. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

The Domi trade was dumb, too, though there may have been off ice issues (maybe Domi asked for a trade?).
Bolded: Not commenting on Strome because thats a dead end in here, but in my opinion the players that fit this description don't REQUIRE players of the same caliber or better to succeed, they are able to drive plays forward themselves and create scoring chances out of nothing. Complementary players contribute by knowing how to find the right space and give or get passes.

Last edited:
Reactions: BUX7PHX

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
So we’re all in agreement that Perlini sucks?

He's completely fallen off the face of the earth. I mean shit, he had 17 goals last season. He's currently sitting at 5 goals, 10 points in 47gms this season :eek:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
He's completely fallen off the face of the earth. I mean ****, he had 17 goals last season.

See that's kinda what I figured, Perlini wasn't even all that good last season really but on raw ability he could pot 17.
He was the perfect kinda get value out of him while he's on his ELC then maybe flip him later if he never puts it together type.
Somehow he went from super inconsistent to very consistent. Consistently bad.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I don't think Perlini sucks. I think he needs to be used correctly to get the most out of him and build his confidence while he matures. That's what a successful franchise does with their prospects.

Perlini put up pretty good point totals on the powerplay, both last year and in his limited time this year. He had a lot to work on in other areas of his game, but that's true of lots of young players. It's weird to me that Fischer and Crouse get the benefit of the doubt, but Perlini didn't.

The moment they acquired Galchenyuk and he got healthy, using Perlini on the powerplay wasn't really going to be a thing, and the other areas of his game need work. Used correctly, Perlini will give you a streaky 15-20 goals. I think there was more trade value to be pulled from Perlini if they were going to trade him and Chayka failed to maximize him as a trade asset.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Is the reason Strome is doing better in Chicago a result of bad development? I don't think so. You can't compare DT's era here and that of RT. Totally different circumstances and totally different talent.

I think part of it has to do with the fact that the coach in Chicago has less to lose. I think Arizona came into the season with higher playoff aspirations, and once Q was fired, it opened the door for the coach to not have as much pressure on him.

One thing that was interesting was looking at Strome's ice time: he gets a significant amount of PP time, but even strength, he really doesn't have the same presence. He averages about 30-60 seconds more ES TOI at even strength than players like Anisimov, Caggulia, Kahun, and Saad, yet he has about 60-80 seconds more PP TOI than those same players. Good for him that he is scoring, but let's also understand that his uptick in production appears to be related to being in 5-on-4 situations, where you should have the advantage and should be able to put more scoring on the board. Unless the PP is run by the Coyotes, of course.

Reactions: cobra427

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
That is what you read into the stat line. It also shows that Kane and Debrinct have really increased their output since the trade. Again, my bitch was, why wasn't Strome given that opportunity to play with our better players?

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
My theory is that this franchise doesn't have the luxury to let prospects bake properly. There's this pervasive idea in the league now that guys are NHL-ready immediately after the draft, and when the Coyotes undertook their "reboots" they lost all of their veteran depth and couldn't afford to add a whole lot back. So the coaching staff doesn't have time to be patient - or at least, as patient as they should be. I also think (and this is fully a gut thing without much to back it up) that both Tippett and Tocchet want players who were like them in playing style, and a kid like Strome who thinks the game differently than the lunch-pail type player didn't appeal to either of them.

The problem is that you have people who were arguing that being patient is the problem, and that we never gave the player a chance to make mistakes. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.

The real truth should be kind of like how some coaches that I worked with took the idea of playing someone in a position that had skill to determine where they belong: you dont put them in a position that is over their head unless they are DOMINATING that level that they are currently on. Seems to make sense right? This goes from the youth level all the way up to the mid-20s. If the player is good, but is not hands-down over and above everyone he is playing against and with in practice and games, then there is no reason to move the player around to a top line, or up a level.

Strome was 53 in 50 in the AHL last season, correct? That's good, but dominating? To put it into perspective, Merkley was 39 in 38 but we rarely entertained calling him up. Fast forward to this season. 3rd line, but ready for first line? Then dominate the play. Give the coaches a reason to put you up top. Look at what is happening in Chicago. He isnt getting the top minutes, he is still basically a 3rd line C. But he is getting PP time with Patrick Kane and a player that he had chemistry with in DeBrincat. You have an additional player, so I would hope that someone as gifted as Strome would increase his totals.

Reactions: awfulwaffle

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
That is what you read into the stat line. It also shows that Kane and Debrinct have really increased their output since the trade. Again, my ***** was, why wasn't Strome given that opportunity to play with our better players?
I wonder if the Staff ever had a chance to watch this player and decided based on this that the player did not deserve a reward for his effort and/or attitude?? Maybe they get to see habits in a place that the public generally doesn't?? Somewhere like practise? And coincidentally this might be the first player in NHL history that got a bump in effort and result based on being traded whether it be short or long term. The Jury is certainly still out on Strome and probably the Blackhawks are as well. If he's as good as a few of you think I suspect they will be at his door in early July with a long term high dollar extension.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
That is what you read into the stat line. It also shows that Kane and Debrinct have really increased their output since the trade. Again, my ***** was, why wasn't Strome given that opportunity to play with our better players?

Because he didnt show the effort in practice to do so. Look, sometimes it is as simple as it sounds. Remember what Tippett used to do with Vern Fiddler? Whenever he needed the team to get going or he felt like players on the top line weren't moving their feet, he would run Fiddler with them. Because the guy was an Energizer bunny in practice, and got people to pick up their games. Inverse of things can be true. Maybe Strome had a mopeyness to him b/c he wasnt on the "top line." It showed in practice, so why should someone believe that by being mopey, he deserves time on the top line? As soon as a coach puts him up there, 19 other players are going to act mopey b/c apparently that's what gets you to the top line.

You get out what you put in. Clearly, that has changed as a result of the trade.

Reactions: awfulwaffle

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The problem is that you have people who were arguing that being patient is the problem, and that we never gave the player a chance to make mistakes. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.

The real truth should be kind of like how some coaches that I worked with took the idea of playing someone in a position that had skill to determine where they belong: you dont put them in a position that is over their head unless they are DOMINATING that level that they are currently on. Seems to make sense right? This goes from the youth level all the way up to the mid-20s. If the player is good, but is not hands-down over and above everyone he is playing against and with in practice and games, then there is no reason to move the player around to a top line, or up a level.

Strome was 53 in 50 in the AHL last season, correct? That's good, but dominating? To put it into perspective, Merkley was 39 in 38 but we rarely entertained calling him up. Fast forward to this season. 3rd line, but ready for first line? Then dominate the play. Give the coaches a reason to put you up top. Look at what is happening in Chicago. He isnt getting the top minutes, he is still basically a 3rd line C. But he is getting PP time with Patrick Kane and a player that he had chemistry with in DeBrincat. You have an additional player, so I would hope that someone as gifted as Strome would increase his totals.
:laugh: Are you and Cobra drinking the same kool aid?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I wonder if the Staff ever had a chance to watch this player and decided based on this that the player did not deserve a reward for his effort and/or attitude?? Maybe they get to see habits in a place that the public generally doesn't?? Somewhere like practise? And coincidentally this might be the first player in NHL history that got a bump in effort and result based on being traded whether it be short or long term. The Jury is certainly still out on Strome and probably the Blackhawks are as well. If he's as good as a few of you think I suspect they will be at his door in early July with a long term high dollar extension.
This is true. Why did it come to this? I know this team doesn't need scoring help and all, and it would have hurt his development and team to put him in a position to succeed. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Heldig

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Because he didnt show the effort in practice to do so. Look, sometimes it is as simple as it sounds. Remember what Tippett used to do with Vern Fiddler? Whenever he needed the team to get going or he felt like players on the top line weren't moving their feet, he would run Fiddler with them. Because the guy was an Energizer bunny in practice, and got people to pick up their games. Inverse of things can be true. Maybe Strome had a mopeyness to him b/c he wasnt on the "top line." It showed in practice, so why should someone believe that by being mopey, he deserves time on the top line? As soon as a coach puts him up there, 19 other players are going to act mopey b/c apparently that's what gets you to the top line.

You get out what you put in. Clearly, that has changed as a result of the trade.
Again, why did it come to this? I'll give you a clue. His initials is RT. Didn't give him a chance, didn't want to give him a chance, didn't like the player. Plain and simple. The only saving grace in losing Strome is that Chicago thought highly enough of him for us to get Schmaltz.

Last edited:

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
This is true. Why did it come to this? I know this team doesn't need scoring help and all, and it would have hurt his development and team to put him in a position to succeed. :sarcasm:
I assume it came to this because they exhauated all means to get this player to give more. It's not just on team when a player doesn't succeed. And his success is far from guaranteed going forward, let's wait before we put him in the HOF .

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
And matter of factly, even how he is presently playing he isn't good enough to be just given opportunity. I suspect if you could watch the player in Chicago is not quite the same guy he was in AZ behind the scenes. I would bet more on reversion than continuation .

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I assume it came to this because they exhauated all means to get this player to give more. It's not just on team when a player doesn't succeed. And his success is far from guaranteed going forward, let's wait before we put him in the HOF .
That's just the thing. They didn't exhaust all means.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
That's just the thing. They didn't exhaust all means.
You mean the one where they reward a player who they don't think has earned that reward? Yeah that always goes well in professional sports. I hope you don't wonder where Country Club environment comes from.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
:laugh: Are you and Cobra drinking the same kool aid?

Not at all, and clearly you are not following the point. Not certain what other sports you watch, but I have a great comparison: Matt Leinart.

Leinart was drafted to be THE QB of the future for Arizona. He had all of the pedigree, all of the fanfare, and could play the game. He was beaten out by Kurt Warner, because Warner showed more. Don't believe it? Here is an excerpt:

In the 2008 offseason, after he recovered from the injury, Leinart was handed his starting job back, but his hold on the job was tenuous after another strong training camp performance by Warner. Finally, after Leinart threw three interceptions within a matter of minutes versus the Oakland Raiders in the third preseason game, Warner was named the opening-day starter.

When you don't perform, you don't get playing time. It's the same reasoning as to why a criminal may or may not get paroled. If you perform and behave properly, you get the benefit of the doubt. But if you are the same asshole in prison as the one on the streets, you dont get your chance. For the final time, making it a one-way street that is all on Tocchet is a very non-astute way of looking at this. It's not a race or religion thing where someone has something against you for a reason that you can't control. Both Strome and Tocchet have things to learn from this. But absolving Strome from doing anything wrong is incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad