Confirmed with Link: Coyotes to host Town Hall Meeting Sept. 23rd

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Maybe you're just trying to go for a "hot take" as per usual, but just so you know, widespread opinion among most of the journalists / analysts i've been listening to this summer is that Calgary will be one of the best teams in the Pacific due a very strong D-corps. Although they have question marks when it comes to how Smith will perform, they also have a lot of young talent up front. Pretty common knowledge. They definitely are not "crap".

Why do you think even goalies can't stop a beachball in Calgary? And that's going on for years now. Because their defense is so great? It may not be bad but it's certainly not great even though they're not the problem. They have lots of floaters upfront who don't know how to play against the puck and that's gonna burn them again and again..over the last few years they've been pretty bad...and I see no reason why that should change. The roster hardly changed in years and they have a terrible coach. They had one good year under Hartley when they got a bit lucky and got Vancouver in the 1st playoff round.

Buffalo is one heck of a mess. They've been a bottom team for ages and the outlook isn't promising. Eichel is pissed already. Give me only one reason why they should be a contender anytime soon.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I agree that DT had nothing to do with our **** luck in the lottery, but I think we're all just angry and upset with our luck. Other teams that were terrible when we were got McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, Laine, and Marner. We have Keller and Strome, who I hope can turn into good players, but I would trade either one of them for any of the players I named.

Missing the playoffs for that many years, being one of the 3 worst teams in the league twice, and not getting one of those players hurts pretty damn bad. And that's nobody's fault.... besides Dave Moss. **** that guy

Also, this thread has a ton of cool information. Thanks to those who shared their conversations!

I agree with you but I wouldn't want Marner over Strome. Marner may put up decent numbers but a team can't afford too many players like him (or likewise Gaudreau or others). I have nothing against smaller players but that in my view, lack of size shouldn't be an ecxuse not to play a proper game against the puck. That's why I hope Keller gets at least one full AHL season. I don't want a player who needs a babysitter and tons of OZS in order to succeed...even if he scores 70 points or whatever.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Not very outgoing? He's always yucking it up with players or barking at the opposing team. Your takes on some players are like totally opposite from everyone else on the planet. I love reading all the different takes and opinions but damn man, how can you follow the team at all and say OEL isn't outgoing? I think Domi should be the captain but your reasons for OEL not being captain are just false.

Also, I don't judge people on their nationality. I know we've had discussions like this before with one poster trying to say everyone is prejudice against Russians or whatever. I think the people that make roster decisions are way too smart to fall for that crap any more. I don't know what a typical Swede is but OEL is way better than a typical anything.

I think you can read some things out of people's nationality ...just like the Swiss, the Swedes are rather cold and reserved people...and I say this without judging. It's not necessarily something bad. There are always exceptions but OEL doesn't strike me as one. Surely a good guy but not captain material for me. Chirping at opponents, I'm afraid, also doesn't make a captain...at least not without backing it up.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I think you can read some things out of people's nationality ...just like the Swiss, the Swedes are rather cold and reserved people...and I say this without judging. It's not necessarily something bad. There are always exceptions but OEL doesn't strike me as one. Surely a good guy but not captain material for me. Chirping at opponents, I'm afraid, also doesn't make a captain...at least not without backing it up.

There are so many attributes of being a good leader and the only one you can really tell as a fan is if OEL is a good player or not, he clearly is very good. Past that you are guessing based on his nationality or anything else. You just can't tell one way or the other without an inside look.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
There are so many attributes of being a good leader and the only one you can really tell as a fan is if OEL is a good player or not, he clearly is very good. Past that you are guessing based on his nationality or anything else. You just can't tell one way or the other without an inside look.

I agree. I judge based on what I see on TV. Which tells you quite a bit about a player but not nearly everything.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Sundin, Forsberg, Karlsson, Zetterberg, Lundquist, Landescog, Steen, The Sedins just to name a few of those typical Swedes who can't be Captains and leaders. I must admit this might actually be the first time I have read or heard something negative about players from Sweden?? But then again I think your calling might be writing what no one else is able to see.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Sundin, Forsberg, Karlsson, Zetterberg, Lundquist, Landescog, Steen, The Sedins just to name a few of those typical Swedes who can't be Captains and leaders. I must admit this might actually be the first time I have read or heard something negative about players from Sweden?? But then again I think your calling might be writing what no one else is able to see.

Like I said...I wouldn't see it as something negative. Swiss people are pretty much like that. The players you named aren't or weren't real leaders to me except Zetterberg, Sundin and Forsberg. I can only repeat myself here...I only judge based on what I read and see on TV but I'm not a fan of giving letters to stars just because they're the best players. Doesn't make sense to me.

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
Ive seen OEL play every game for the last 5 years and although he can get pretty aggressive and chippy at times, his constant whining when he gets sent to the box is irritating.
And he commits those penalties at the worst times it seems.
Sort of pouty, I guess and although all in all a very good player, his leadership skills are questionable.
had he stayed here, I think Deangelo would have been a better candidate down the line.
I think he would have the ability to get on teammates with equal treatment and could probably slam a dressing room door most effectively when the times got a little bad.
That being said, I am most concerned about the apparent lax atmosphere coach Tochett says he'll approach his job.
Stressing not "overcoaching" his players and stressing that "the dressing room is theirs" and how he's a players coach type, bothers me as a former military commander.
Leadership is "primary and decisive" and many times when someone says things like that, it's code for being an ingratiator.
If the dressing room is OEL's, Im afraid there will be no doors slammed, no teammates put on the spot resulting in a lax atmosphere.
Hope Im wrong.

Last edited:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Still baffled that we didn't take junior Steen when they had the chance given the bloodlines love the scouting staff shows.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Ive seen OEL play every game for the last 5 years and although he can get pretty aggressive and chippy at times, his constant whining when he gets sent to the box is irritating.
And he commits those penalties at the worst times it seems.
Sort of pouty, I guess and although all in all a very good player, his leadership skills are questionable.
had he stayed here, I think Deangelo would have been a better candidate down the line.
I think he would have the ability to get on teammates with equal treatment and could probably slam a dressing room door most effectively when the times got a little bad.
That being said, I am most concerned about the apparent lax atmosphere coach Tochett says he'll approach his job.
Stressing not "overcoaching" his players and stressing that "the dressing room is theirs" and how he's a players coach type, bothers me as a former military commander.
Leadership is "primary and decisive" and many times when someone says things like that, it's code for being an ingratiator.
If the dressing room is OEL's, Im afraid there will be no doors slammed, no teammates put on the spot resulting in a lax atmosphere.
Hope Im wrong.

OEL would/will be a fine captain. Let's give Tochett a chance before we jump to conclusions shall we.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I totally forgot this stupid thing was tonight, seems like they hardly promoted it.

The Arizona Coyotes announced today that in an effort to continue strong communication with their fans, the Coyotes will host another Town Hall event on Saturday, September 23 from 4-5 p.m. at the Renaissance Glendale Hotel and Spa prior to the Coyotes preseason game against the San Jose Sharks (6 p.m. start time). The Town Hall will take place in the Solana Ballroom B-D on the main floor of the hotel. The Q & A session will be open to all Coyotes fans.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
Missed the first couple minutes, so far:

Tire pumping Chaykas moves this summer.
POJ great camp, exceeded expectations
want to retire Doans jersey when right for Doan (Doan doesn't want to do it now, too early)
captaincy will sort itself out. (did mention OEL learned how to be a captain from Doan)
nothing to share on arena situation (surprise surprise)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Goddamned feed crapped out when he was talking about the Keller Chychrun. Stated it was consensus they'd take a d BUT...crapped out. What happened? What was said?

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
Goddamned feed crapped out when he was talking about the Keller Chychrun. Stated it was consensus they'd take a d BUT...crapped out. What happened? What was said?

My feed started skipping at that part so I missed it too :laugh:

rt

May 13, 2004
I am getting hyped up though about all the higher standard talk. It's clear Chayka and Barroway are 100% on the same page that we had a country club atmosphere before. Very happy to have turned the page. Nice to know I wasnt imagining the listlessness and lethargy. Confirmed.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Nobody working for sports franchise is going to say they're tanking and the players aren't going to tank either.

rt

May 13, 2004
I liked Barroway's takes. I'm on board with him and Chayka. I'm a happy guy. This offseason feels like the Coyotes doing rt a serious of favors, one after the other. Thanks Coyotes!

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Barroway said he wats to win now. F*** that. I still want the rebuild to continue, but that ain't happening any more.

I don't think Barroway is dumb enough to think you can turn a basement dweller into a cup contender in one off season. I take him saying this as more like "we're done trying to stockpile assets for the future." We've made some moves to bring in vets for young guys but not excessively so. It's not like we've thrown away the farm and several high round draft picks for a veteran team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad