Confirmed with Link: Coyotes to host Town Hall Meeting Sept. 23rd

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
As much as I'd like OEL to stay long-term, I can't imagine why he wouldn't test the market in hopes of finding a playoff-bound team once his contract is up. Sure, we may get to that level at some point, but it's probably 4-5 seasons away and subject to change due to a number of potential off-ice issues.

So, I'd say go with the 3 A's a season and then decide. Let Tocchet be the "C" for this season since he seems to get along well with players and then he can turn it over to whoever he thinks will thrive.

4 or 5 seasons away from the playoffs? If we don't get into the playoffs in two years there will be more changes. No excuses for not making the playoffs in two years. We need to solidify our 2RD and maybe a RW and we should start to see big improvement in the standings.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
4 or 5 seasons away from the playoffs? If we don't get into the playoffs in two years there will be more changes. No excuses for not making the playoffs in two years. We need to solidify our 2RD and maybe a RW and we should start to see big improvement in the standings.

Okay, we may get to the playoffs before then, but we won't advance far enough to show significant improvement in the team's full history.

My point was that OEL will probably test the market and most likely join a team that has a history of consistently making it to the second round (and beyond)of the playoffs.

We are the lowest payed team in the league. We have no 1st line Wingers. We barely have a #1 C. We don't have a #2 RD. We have a somewhat untested goalie. We have no arena after next season. All of these things will most likely not be resolved this season (when we can offer OEL a new contract), much less the next two (when his contract is officially up).

As an elite D-man, I just don't see him re-signing here if he can join a more competitive team.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Okay, we may get to the playoffs before then, but we won't advance far enough to show significant improvement in the team's full history.

My point was that OEL will probably test the market and most likely join a team that has a history of consistently making it to the second round (and beyond)of the playoffs.

We are the lowest payed team in the league. We have no 1st line Wingers. We barely have a #1 C. We don't have a #2 RD. We have a somewhat untested goalie. We have no arena after next season. All of these things will most likely not be resolved this season (when we can offer OEL a new contract), much less the next two (when his contract is officially up).

As an elite D-man, I just don't see him re-signing here if he can join a more competitive team.

Patience my friend, patience. We are setting ourselves up for many years of playoff appearances, just like Toronto, Edmonton, Calgary and Buffalo to name a few. This is year three of our rebuild so we still need to add which is quite normal. A rebuild is very hard and slow and in all honestly, we have not had a proper rebuild in AZ since the team moved here. Not all rebuilds reach the success that is expected, but I think / hope ours will.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Patience my friend, patience. We are setting ourselves up for many years of playoff appearances, just like Toronto, Edmonton, Calgary and Buffalo to name a few. This is year three of our rebuild so we still need to add which is quite normal. A rebuild is very hard and slow and in all honestly, we have not had a proper rebuild in AZ since the team moved here. Not all rebuilds reach the success that is expected, but I think / hope ours will.

Buffalo and Calgary are crap. Not gonna be contenders anytime soon. Just like Arizona...could take a while to clean up Chayka's mess...

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Arizona...could take a while to clean up Chayka's mess...

willy-wonka6.jpg

KG

Sep 23, 2010
This is clearly year one of the rebuild? Why do you still keep going back three years?

The original rebuild started with GMDM the moment Yandle was traded.

If this franchise is not competitive for another 5 years I question its survivability.

rt

May 13, 2004
RE: OEL captaincy and contract situation; perhaps Chayka is reluctant to pin the C on OEL at this point because there are just too many factors still at play. What if Goligoski has a career year and Chychrun shows no signs of slowing down? What if OEL wants McDavid money? What if Strome is a complete bust and fails to make an impact even at the AHL level? What if Stepan puts up 40pts because he can't drive an offense on his own and doesn't have the supporting cast he had in Manhattan? What if we win the 1st overall lottery for Rasmus Dahlin? At that point we have no choice but to trade OEL for a center in a 1:1 swap for the best combination of proven/Young center we can get. Right?

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
RE: OEL captaincy and contract situation; perhaps Chayka is reluctant to pin the C on OEL at this point because there are just too many factors still at play. What if Goligoski has a career year and Chychrun shows no signs of slowing down? What if OEL wants McDavid money? What if Strome is a complete bust and fails to make an impact even at the AHL level? What if Stepan puts up 40pts because he can't drive an offense on his own and doesn't have the supporting cast he had in Manhattan? What if we win the 1st overall lottery for Rasmus Dahlin? At that point we have no choice but to trade OEL for a center in a 1:1 swap for the best combination of proven/Young center we can get. Right?

Maybe it's as simple as Chayka letting Tochett pick the C. Tochett would wait to see how the guys interact through training camp and preseason before handling out the C.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

I'm not the greatest fan of Karlsson/OEL type of defenders. I wouldn't trade OEL without a need though. Dvorak is gonna be at least as good as Stepan...maybe next season...maybe the one after. There's no need to overreact there. Strome will be fine...and even if not...another Center is about the last thing the Coyotes need. Maybe a depth Center who can do some damage but no top man worth OEL. St.Louis just played exciting playoff hockey with basically zero top centers. Center depth is nice to have and can definitely decide games but it's not like every team needs three 60 point Centers.

OEL shouldn't get the C because he's, in my view, a typical Swede and not a a very outgoing person. Also not the guy I'd want a prospect to look up to. I don't get why superstars automatically have to be Captain. Makes little sense to me. The contract or roster situation shouldn't play a role.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
OEL shouldn't get the C because he's, in my view, a typical Swede and not a a very outgoing person. Also not the guy I'd want a prospect to look up to. I don't get why superstars automatically have to be Captain. Makes little sense to me. The contract or roster situation shouldn't play a role.

This guy would disagree with you.....

138830160_crop_exact.jpg

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I'm not the greatest fan of Karlsson/OEL type of defenders. I wouldn't trade OEL without a need though. Dvorak is gonna be at least as good as Stepan...maybe next season...maybe the one after. There's no need to overreact there. Strome will be fine...and even if not...another Center is about the last thing the Coyotes need. Maybe a depth Center who can do some damage but no top man worth OEL. St.Louis just played exciting playoff hockey with basically zero top centers. Center depth is nice to have and can definitely decide games but it's not like every team needs three 60 point Centers.

Not very outgoing? He's always yucking it up with players or barking at the opposing team. Your takes on some players are like totally opposite from everyone else on the planet. I love reading all the different takes and opinions but damn man, how can you follow the team at all and say OEL isn't outgoing? I think Domi should be the captain but your reasons for OEL not being captain are just false.

Also, I don't judge people on their nationality. I know we've had discussions like this before with one poster trying to say everyone is prejudice against Russians or whatever. I think the people that make roster decisions are way too smart to fall for that crap any more. I don't know what a typical Swede is but OEL is way better than a typical anything.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

We really needed one of those generational players out of all those years of absolute garbage. That's what Tippett's legacy leaves us. Hopefully enough of the young guys we have can turn into solid players to give us a shot at being a contender without a top player.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The original rebuild started with GMDM the moment Yandle was traded.

If this franchise is not competitive for another 5 years I question its survivability.

Yup. We need to start seeing results this year. Maybe not to the extent of making the playoffs but we have to be very competitive and next year in the playoffs or very very very close. The kids are progressing, and if Strome, Keller and Fischer can continue that course, I like our chances of making the playoffs in two years. Much has to go our way, but I hope we start seeing the results.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We really needed one of those generational players out of all those years of absolute garbage. That's what Tippett's legacy leaves us. Hopefully enough of the young guys we have can turn into solid players to give us a shot at being a contender without a top player.

DT has nothing to do about not getting a generational talent. Not every team has a generational talent and the SC has been won without one. I would consider OEL a top player and as far as the rest go, we will have to wait and see, but we have a handful of prospects that could develop into a top player.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

OEL is a pretty damn good defender if you ask me. I also love Karlsson and would have him on my team any day of the week, even ahead of OEL. Not every Dman are good defenders, but if they can make up for it in moving the puck and racking up points I'm all in. There are only so many Orr's, Coffey's, Subbans' and Karlsson's type talents of the world. You don't want a prospect to look up to OEL? I agree with you there, they should look up to a guy like Murphy or Stone.:sarcasm:

rt

May 13, 2004

Typical Swede? Yikes.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
There's no way I'd give anyone the C other than OEL. Even if Domi is a better fit. OEL must be incentivized to stay. Signing his brother and trading for Hjalmarsson were great moves. Now give him the C and be done with it. He has to be made to stay.

That reminded me: Chayka did confirm last Thursday at SanTan that signing KEL was definitely doing that family a solid; and he made it sound more like he'd be given an *opportunity* to wind up in Tucson, saying it was as likely he'd end up in...Fort Wayne ("the E"). (not that anyone here doubted this, but it did come up)

strizzy16

Welcome to Life, 2.0
Mar 6, 2012
somewhere south
Buffalo and Calgary are crap.

Maybe you're just trying to go for a "hot take" as per usual, but just so you know, widespread opinion among most of the journalists / analysts i've been listening to this summer is that Calgary will be one of the best teams in the Pacific due a very strong D-corps. Although they have question marks when it comes to how Smith will perform, they also have a lot of young talent up front. Pretty common knowledge. They definitely are not "crap".

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
DT has nothing to do about not getting a generational talent. Not every team has a generational talent and the SC has been won without one. I would consider OEL a top player and as far as the rest go, we will have to wait and see, but we have a handful of prospects that could develop into a top player.

I agree that DT had nothing to do with our **** luck in the lottery, but I think we're all just angry and upset with our luck. Other teams that were terrible when we were got McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, Laine, and Marner. We have Keller and Strome, who I hope can turn into good players, but I would trade either one of them for any of the players I named.

Missing the playoffs for that many years, being one of the 3 worst teams in the league twice, and not getting one of those players hurts pretty damn bad. And that's nobody's fault.... besides Dave Moss. **** that guy

Also, this thread has a ton of cool information. Thanks to those who shared their conversations!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad