Confirmed with Link: Coyotes to host Town Hall Meeting Sept. 23rd

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The Arizona Coyotes announced today that in an effort to continue strong communication with their fans, the Coyotes will host another Town Hall event on Saturday, September 23 from 4-5 p.m. at the Renaissance Glendale Hotel and Spa prior to the Coyotes preseason game against the San Jose Sharks (6 p.m. start time).

Been a while since we had one of these...... ;)

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Been a while since we had one of these...... ;)

Also, a STHer event Thursday with Patterson and Chayka (so much for the honeymoon). I plan on attending and will report back.

Here's info on the invite:

Dear xxxxx,

Heading into the 2017-18 season, our team looks a little bit different, but one big thing hasn't changed: We value your input, and we want to hear from you.

Please join us for an exclusive Town Hall at SanTan Brewing Company in Chandler on Thursday, August 24th from 4 to 6 PM. Mingle with Coyotes President & CEO Steve Patterson and GM and President of Hockey Ops John Chayka, and stay for a Q&A session emceed by Yotes Play-by-Play Announcer Matt McConnell.

Light hors d'oeuvres and SanTan brews will be provided.

Click here to RSVP by Tuesday, August 22nd.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Also, a STHer event Thursday with Patterson and Chayka (so much for the honeymoon). I plan on attending and will report back.

Please join us for an exclusive Town Hall at SanTan Brewing Company in Chandler on Thursday, August 24th from 4 to 6 PM....

Wow, you're a very exclusive guy :nod:

I saw this, and then hours later my ticket rep called me to say that she got my STH preference request (Fanatic v. Family v. Business)... and I said "hey what about this thing at SanTan since it's *right across the street from where I live*?" she said "yeah, only about 50 people got invites to that; but if there are still openings in an hour after the RSVP period ends I can ask my manager..."

Thing is, I might have trouble making that due to work anyway, but still... :laugh:

UPDATE: she just called back, I'm in...pending work clearance

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Wow, you're a very exclusive guy :nod:

I saw this, and then hours later my ticket rep called me to say that she got my STH preference request (Fanatic v. Family v. Business)... and I said "hey what about this thing at SanTan since it's *right across the street from where I live*?" she said "yeah, only about 50 people got invites to that; but if there are still openings in an hour after the RSVP period ends I can ask my manager..."

Thing is, I might have trouble making that due to work anyway, but still... :laugh:

UPDATE: she just called back, I'm in...pending work clearance
Great, see you there!

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I work up the street and would've happily attempted to sneak in. Betcha I could. However I have meet and greet and my son's preschool tomorrow night.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
- Ask them if they are bringing back the Kachina jerseys when Adidas allows for 3rd jerseys.
- If they ever have plans of hosting an NHL draft or All-Star game or if that's contingent on getting a new arena.
- If they aren't as competitive s they would like to be, if they are willing to spend money to create that success or will they cut costs like Florida did.

rt

May 13, 2004
For Chayka:

1. Tocchet and Allen look like great hires. I'm very excited. Help me get excited about MacLean. He was an NHL Asst Coach for 9 seasons & his average PP% NHL rank was 22/30 in those 9yrs. Why hire him to run the PP? Help me understand what I'm missing so I can be equally excited about him.

2. I loved the Hjalmarsson acquisition. That top pair looks great. Given the Chychrun injury, are we comfortable with our top D 7 options heading into this season? Do you think we can compete with the D as-is? Is another change inevitable?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
1. Would you ever rehire Tippett and then refire him at center ice on fan appreciation night?

2. What about a Mike Smith miniature that is unstable and falls over at the slightest breeze?

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
1. Would you ever rehire Tippett and then refire him at center ice on fan appreciation night?

2. What about a Mike Smith miniature that is unstable and falls over at the slightest breeze?
great questions :laugh: I may try dropping #2 subtly.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Great idea, good for the warm and fuzzy feeling, but they aren't going to say anything about the roster or potential changes, no inside info. They might answer basic questions but nothing probing with teeth in it.

rt

May 13, 2004
You don't ask expecting them to answer fully and honestly and plainly. You ask so you can read between the lines when they're giving an answer on the spot to an unexpected question. How somebody hesitates, stammers, and rephrases can be telling.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
You don't ask expecting them to answer fully and honestly and plainly. You ask so you can read between the lines when they're giving an answer on the spot to an unexpected question. How somebody hesitates, stammers, and rephrases can be telling.

If playing poker yes, not in this format, doubt you rattle anyone or catch them off gauard.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
You don't ask expecting them to answer fully and honestly and plainly.

You should also not expect them to divulge any new information about any of the hot-button issues we as fans so desperately want to know about. Do expect a lot of glad-handing, "in the process," nerve-soothing rhetoric - particularly since apparently Andy Barroway isn't going to be there.

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
If playing poker yes, not in this format, doubt you rattle anyone or catch them off gauard.
This feels like a Patterson idea. College-esqe type meeting with local boosters. Wonder if they'll have similar sessions in Scottsdale/N.Phoenix.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'm more curious if we get anything at all released out of that coaching symposium Tocchet and staff are supposedly having about right now. I'm guessing we get nothing really but we'll see.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
This feels like a Patterson idea. College-esqe type meeting with local boosters. Wonder if they'll have similar sessions in Scottsdale/N.Phoenix.

Don't forget IceArizona did a few of these in the past. They even had Maloney out there for the last one and then canned him about three weeks later.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City

Here's info on the invite:

Please join us for an exclusive Town Hall at SanTan Brewing Company in Chandler ...

Sir, I really owe you a lot for posting this and alerting me. My experience went way beyond my expectations, having secured a late invite from my rep. Got to speak with the CFO, the CEO, the GM, and the play by play guy. Also, free beer (yeah, I had a few samples). All within walking distance of my townhouse. (see? I was on foot.)

My conversations with Olson (CFO) and Patterson (CEO) were pretty superficial, but Patterson did mention Tucson and wanting to get some sort of facility, the closer to TCC the better, going again so they'd have a hockey/ice presence that the public could use more than just Roadrunner games. I mentioned knowing about rec league teams in Tucson that would come up to Chandler after the Tucson facility closed every week, and they seemed well aware.

I got to tell McConnell some of the story behind Raanta's mask and the character on it (and why it's fitting that he's here now). He hadn't seen it yet. Another STH and I were talking with him about 'culture' and MM was lauding Stepan, and how prepared for games he gets (similar to Crosby, with whom he spoke when he was in ATL - something like "so what about our team when you play us?" and Crosby gives a 3 minute dissertation/scouting report), and MM really threw one guy under the bus, that you all will appreciate: Holland. Whose "give-a-*****" factor was "less than zero. negative. guy was gone at first opportunity".

After an initial brush with Chayka, this same STH and I later got about 5 minutes with him after their "public" remarks ("we want to stay here",Patterson mentions it being easier to get things done vs. his predecessor making too many public statements, etc.)...

...and while the other guy was asking about mostly Tocchet and why he was hired (same thing I've read here: he was extremely well prepared)... I happened to try to sneak in rt's questions...though not worded exactly as such.

For Chayka:

1. Tocchet and Allen look like great hires. I'm very excited. Help me get excited about MacLean. He was an NHL Asst Coach for 9 seasons & his average PP% NHL rank was 22/30 in those 9yrs. Why hire him to run the PP? Help me understand what I'm missing so I can be equally excited about him.

Chayka hinted it's gonna be Tocchet running the PP. MacLean is there (and I haven't checked this, very much IIRC) for his association with the Devils (the other STH was from NJ - but apparently not AZviaNJ because surely we would have figured that out?) during the time they were successful. In fact there was a lot of that - people who are here in AZ now, because they've been successful at whatever roles elsewhere. Hjalmarsson. Stepan. Who's OEL more likely to listen to? A guy like Dallas Eakins who's coached EDM without much success, or a guy like Tocchet who's "here's what we did at PIT when we were winning back to back cups." Chayka also mentioned looking up a lot to Babcock from his time as an analytics consultant when DET was so successful.

2. I loved the Hjalmarsson acquisition. That top pair looks great. Given the Chychrun injury, are we comfortable with our top D 7 options heading into this season? Do you think we can compete with the D as-is? Is another change inevitable?

He did not seem concerned with (a) how long Chychrun is gonna be out, nor (b) our ability to compete in his absence.

*AND* I got some selfies with Howler :). Good times.

So, anyone else make it?

Reactions: SniperHF

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Good report.

The Holland anecdote is kinda weird. You'd think a fringe player would be all in on the intangibles or at least trying. Or maybe he just didn't like talking to Matt McConnell:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad