Coyotes' Tempe Arena Proposal Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Arizona
Imagine calling out Craig and then painting Katie Strang as some journalistic hero in the same breath.

I mean that's a nice deflection, it seems that you all really like to do that here to keep your narratives.

I never said anything about Strang, only the information she had.

Did Craig, with his access, have that information or not before Strang wrote her articles?

IrishFin

Jun 9, 2016
I mean that's a nice deflection, it seems that you all really like to do that here to keep your narratives.

Did Craig, with his access, have that information or not before Strang wrote her articles?

Katie Strang makes her living off controversial investigative stories. That isn't what Craig is at all, and he likely never will be. Most of his sources for Coyotes information are likely going to be inside the organization. There was an agenda behind Strang's articles that painted the team in a negative way that likely didn't come from inside the organization. There are a lot more important things to think about in life than what Craig does and does not cover in his writing. I just don't care enough and I appreciate him for the work he currently does.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

Maybe Craig didn't write it because there were a lot of inaccuracies in Katie's article?

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Do you believe Craig didn't have the information Strang had for her articles?

Simple yes or no suffices here.
I fail to see any links that go along with your claims so I’m not going to answer it until you do.

Since Jim Gintonio passed and Sara McLellan moved on to the Wild beat Craig is the most senior member of the press there. He’s got more local sources in the area compared to Strang by a Mile.

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Arizona
I fail to see any links that go along with your claims so I’m not going to answer it until you do.

Since Jim Gintonio passed and Sara McLellan moved on to the Wild beat Craig is the most senior member of the press there. He’s got more local sources in the area compared to Strang by a Mile.

You just answered.

He’s got more local sources in the area compared to Strang by a Mile.

So that's a "Yes he had the information" vote.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
You just answered.

He’s got more local sources in the area compared to Strang by a Mile.

So that's a "Yes he had the information" vote.
I didn’t answer anything. You clearly don’t know my background. Provide links and stop with the tin foil cap posts.

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Arizona
I didn’t answer anything. You clearly don’t know my background. Provide links and stop with the tin foil cap posts.

So you're saying Craig didn't have the information even though per your own unlinked, unsourced claim that Craig has "more local sources in the area compared to Strang by a Mile."

Which is it?

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
So you're saying Craig didn't have the information even though per your own unlinked, unsourced claim that Craig has "more local sources in the area compared to Strang by a Mile."

Which is it?
Links to back up both your claims. HFBoards 101. Post em.

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Arizona
Since Craig is a good dude I'll do his job and post some hopeful Coyotes Arena news since it's been two days and he's probably too busy writing some Puff Piece of Keller's all-star selection or something.

The Tempe City Council Candidate forum was on the 12th and first question asked to the candidates regarded the arena.

Every candidate for the most part was supportive of the Arena, the most excited being former Cardinals QB John Skelton. Jennifer Adams who is currently on the council but seeking reelection could not comment but given her body language it appears she is in the Yes camp.

There were some caveats in the responses regarding the GPLET etc. But depending on the current positions of Jennifer Adams (Who is running for reelection) and Robin Arredondo-Savage/Lauren Kuby (Who are not running for reelection) by the time the arena is actually put up to vote, there could be 3 pro-arena votes on the new council to approve the development.

Knights2017

Deactivated Coyotes Fan
Jan 13, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
Since Craig is a good dude I'll do his job and post some hopeful Coyotes Arena news since it's been two days and he's probably too busy writing some Puff Piece of Keller's all-star selection or something.

The Tempe City Council Candidate forum was on the 12th and first question asked to the candidates regarded the arena.

Every candidate for the most part was supportive of the Arena, the most excited being former Cardinals QB John Skelton. Jennifer Adams who is currently on the council but seeking reelection could not comment but given her body language it appears she is in the Yes camp.

There were some caveats in the responses regarding the GPLET etc. But depending on the current positions of Jennifer Adams (Who is running for reelection) and Robin Arredondo-Savage/Lauren Kuby (Who are not running for reelection) by the time the arena is actually put up to vote, there could be 3 pro-arena votes on the new council to approve the development.
Thanks for the post and welcome to the forum..

I don’t agree with a few tracks you’re on but welcome :)

Reactions: Edenjung

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Craig’s “job” isn’t to cover Tempe city council meetings. When the arena proposal actually comes up on the agenda he might attend but I’m not going to have a raging fit if he doesn’t. There are plenty of others who will.

Craig isn’t Katie Strang either. And Strang didn’t go looking for a Coyotes article. It came to her.

Someone wanted to air their dirty laundry out and in the most harmful way possible. So who would you go to? A local team beat reporter with a small readership or an investigative reporter with a national platform?

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Okay…. back to the subject.

C1ABEAA9-B6EC-478E-B11D-E1CA2EEB247D.gif

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

You should probably know that Ms. Strang's primary source was her friend Megan Chayka, and that the secondary sources she quoted in her article were employees who were part of the Chayka regime who got purged when Chayka got forced out. You should also know that Ms. Strang has an axe to grind against Bill Armstrong because of how he allegedly treated her after an interview request got turned down.

Back to lurking.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Just be thankful that Craig is still reporting on the Coyotes. We get a lot more info on the team from him than if he wasn't. Phoenix local media couldn't care less about the Coyotes. Sure it might never be critical, but we still get info.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Op-Ed in today's AZ Republic:

Sky Harbor Airport must be protected from hockey arena, housing

Someone is nervous. :laugh:

Used all the usual talking points. "Sky Harbor can't grow if this hockey arena is built!!" Emphasized the arena.... not the rest of the project.

Sky Harbor is already land locked.... it can't grow other than they're planning to add another 12 gates or so to Terminal 4.

Person who wrote the op-ed is part of this group:

Home | Support Skyharbor

(starts stopwatch to see how long this takes to find it's way to BoH :naughty:)

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012

Used all the usual talking points. "Sky Harbor can't grow if this hockey arena is built!!" Emphasized the arena.... not the rest of the project.

Sky Harbor is already land locked.... it can't grow other than they're planning to add another 12 gates or so to Terminal 4.

Home | Support Skyharbor

Nearly every commercial jet that visits sky harbor can use the 7800 ft south runway. On those rare occasions where it might be deemed too short, there are 2 other longer runway options. The question is, why would the south runway need to be lengthened?

And if there is future plan to lengthen it, then the city of Phoenix should purchase the land needed (including buffer zone). After all, it's the most valuable economic asset the city has.

Last edited:

Art.Vandelay

@kash2112
Aug 2, 2005
Glendale, AZ

Home | Support Skyharbor

This quote is confusing me:

"That planned development – the Tempe Entertainment District – is 9,800 feet off the two shorter south runways"

I'm looking at a map and the proposed development sure doesn't seem 9800 hundred feet from any runways. And there is like...the 202 in between. Are they planning on removing that?

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
This quote is confusing me:

"That planned development – the Tempe Entertainment District – is 9,800 feet off the two shorter south runways"

I'm looking at a map and the proposed development sure doesn't seem 9800 hundred feet from any runways. And there is like...the 202 in between. Are they planning on removing that?

I think the distance is correct. It's a little under 2 miles. The 202 is relatively close to the ground compared to the proposed stadium, hotels, and apartments.

Last edited:

Art.Vandelay

@kash2112
Aug 2, 2005
Glendale, AZ
I think the distance is correct. It's a little under 2 miles. The 202 is relatively close to the ground compared to the proposed stadium, hotels, and apartments.

There is so much between the proposed site and the end of the runway. It seems like grandstanding to say that THIS development will be the thing that hurts the airport.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
There is so much between the proposed site and the end of the runway. It seems like grandstanding to say that THIS development will be the thing that hurts the airport.

I think it's just standard procedure for an airport to oppose any nearby development. There is stuff closer, but it's not very tall. Several 2 and 3 story buildings are directly in the flight path and closer than the proposed arena.

At the end of the day, I don't think Sky Harbor objections will be a show stopper but will drive considerations of building height and soundproofing.

Reactions: TheLegend
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad