TSN: Coyotes targeting Duchene, potential capital infusion with new ownership?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
AZ and Mtl can make him the top C, undisputed. Nas and CBJ can't offer that. AZ has more sun and less tax compared to Mtl.
His exact words were that winning was number 1, not money, not taxes. He also laughed that Country music will play no role in his decision. It's hockey first.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I don’t think Columbus is in this if they’re losing Bob and Bread.
Depends on what they also plan to add. And how much he liked it there for last few months. But he is going to free agency so they are at best competing.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Not sure I love the idea of giving Matt Duchene 75 million dollars.
Seriously? I could care how much they spend. Whatever his warts, he automatically becomes the best player on our team.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Not sure I love the idea of giving Matt Duchene 75 million dollars.
Duchene is a bottom tier 1C, but I don't want to get into a bidding war for him, which is what we will have to do.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Yea, I've said the same myself about job satisfaction over money. Realized I was bull****ting myself.
Yeah exactly the same between you and a $70 million contract. And the tax treaty kinda evens things out.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
FTR I would add Duchene in half a second if he was interested but I just don't see it happening.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Yeah exactly the same between you and a $70 million contract. And the tax treaty kinda evens things out.
More so for the athletes - the numbers are the indication of their value to their employers. The athletes already know they have enough to live well.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
More so for the athletes - the numbers are the indication of their value to their employers. The athletes already know they have enough to live well.
Again, the numbers won't be much different. His agent will take care of that. At Duchene's level It's about much more than money.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Also not sure I love going all in on UFA Duchene, passing up on trades along the way, and early days UFAs while Duchene PJs around acting like he’s Tavares, only for us to lose him to the Islanders. Then we’re sitting there with no options left on the table.
Well, this is interesting. Chayka has tried for Hayes and now Duchene? I guess they do know our C's stink.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Don't forget that we used to employ Duchene's uncle (Newell Brown), who I imagine would have good things to say about AZ.

Reactions: Antonche

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I posted a few weeks back that I'm not even a huge fan of Duchene. Statistically he's only a few percentages better than Stepan but he's going to cost about 3 million more.

But there's a lot to like too. First he's damn good on faceoffs. One of the best in the league. He's a legitimate center, not a wing/center hybrid. Lots of vision. Fast as f***. If he's not a 1C he's about as close as you can be.

A little concerned if there are locker room issues. Colorado took off after he left. The uber video in Ottawa also looks bad. Neither is outlandish but both causes for curiosity.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Duchene has always struck me as a turd. He’s also a career 61pts per 82gp. This is NOT a ten million dollar player. Especially given he’ll be 36 when the deal expires. This is a future complaisance buyout in the making. As much as I don’t like Duchene and as much as I think giving him 7rs 70+ million is a bad idea, I will say this...

...if we actually did, I’d do a complete 180. I’d be hooting and hollering and shouting for joy. I’m a fan. What can I say.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Since this is coming from Dreger I will remain skeptical. His track record on Coyotes business issues has been weak.

But if it’s true and we land Duchene we better make sure he has his own private Uber driver on the road. :DD

Reactions: Dala and Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Jeez. No players hit 20 goals and you don't want to get into a bidding war for a 1C? We're not going to be able to trade for a top 15 1C. This way we don't lose assets and draft picks.
I have said weeks ago I would go after Duchene and was flamed for that. I really like Duchene, but man oh man, 8-9 mill. is a lot of dough. I also agree that we can't afford to lose assets at this time and the UFA area is our best bet this year. Chayka has to keep the momentum and excitement going forward and this signing could do that. Duchene is a 0.75 PPG player.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
I like that we are in the conversation but fear a massive over-payment that could doom the new ownership right from the start.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I like that we are in the conversation but fear a massive over-payment that could doom the new ownership right from the start.
How can you make the assumption when we don't know who the new owner is?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad