Rumor: Coyotes set high price for Ekman-Larsson, shopping Hjalmarsson

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Slow on this team would be horrible.

I'm also pretty sure that we're on Alzner's NTC list (we're probably on the list of any player's list of teams they don't want to go to)

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think if you really wanted, you could get a 1st for Hammer without taking on some ugly contract with it.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I think if you really wanted, you could get a 1st for Hammer without taking on some ugly contract with it.

Depending on how much penny pinching goes around next season that might not be desirable :biglaugh: ...:help:

But on the plus side like rt said the pick is pretty early.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The proposal in question is a 2019 1st. The Habs will likely suck next year, but no assurances.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I have no doubt in my mind we could easily get a 1st for Hjalmarsson. It just wouldn't be a top ten pick like Montreal's. The Islanders would fall all over themselves giving us a 1st for Hjalmarsson if we wanted one. I'd rather keep him. He'll still be worth a 1st next TDL anyway.

Reactions: Jakey53 and Mosby

rt

May 13, 2004
The proposal in question is a 2019 1st. The Habs will likely suck next year, but no assurances.
It's a terrible proposal. The fact that he included a 2nd from our side is laughable. We wouldn't trade a 2020 7th for either Alzner or DLR. We wouldn't trade a 2025 7th for both.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
What would it take for the Jets to get Hjalmarsson? We are looking for another D for the playoff run, and one with some term left. Would a 1st next year and Petan do it?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
What would it take for the Jets to get Hjalmarsson? We are looking for another D for the playoff run, and one with some term left. Would a 1st next year and Petan do it?
Why a first next year and not 2018?

U would be competing with the isles who have two firsts and two seconds in this draft; along with Tampa who have a boat load of good prospects who rival Petan as a prospect.

A return where the prime asset is 4-5 years away isn't super appealing given where AZ is at in their rebuild. They would be targeting a C who they feel could play as early as next season. Is Petan that player? I think it's a reasonable offer but that pick would have to be in 2018.

Last edited:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Would never want to make Hjalmarsson suffer to play in Winnipeg. That Wheeler wanted an Original 6, signed with Boston and got his sorry ass traded to Atlanta, only to end up on a former WHA team in the middle3 of nowhere was karma of the first order.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
Would never want to make Hjalmarsson suffer to play in Winnipeg. That Wheeler wanted an Original 6, signed with Boston and got his sorry ass traded to Atlanta, only to end up on a former WHA team in the middle3 of nowhere was karma of the first order.
Thought Hammer may want to play for a winner.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
Why a first next year and not 2018?

U would be competing with the isles who have two firsts and two seconds in this draft; along with Tampa who have a boat load of good prospects who rival Petan as a prospect.

A return where the prime asset is 4-5 years away isn't super appealing given where AZ is at in their rebuild. They would be targeting a C who they feel could play as early as next season. Is Petan that player? I think it's a reasonable offer but that pick would have to be in 2018.
Yeah, sorry. I meant 2018 1st and Petan.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Come on Bonsai no need for that even on the Coyotes board. There are fans from Winnipeg that frequesnt these boards.

Besides, I think Wheeler is perfectly happy playing the best hockey of his life on one of the best teams in the league that is not far from his hometown in Minnesota. And as nice as the desert may be Hjalmarsson has never really played on a team this bad and getting back to competing for the Cup may be worth moving to Winnipeg.

As for trade value, if I am Chayka I ask for Poolman, Stanley and Petan (or Appleton).

rt

May 13, 2004
I don't want to trad Hjalmarsson. Especially not for picks and prospects. Trade him a year from now. His value won't be that much different and we'll get another year of the shelter he provides our young players. He's a development asset. Keep him.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Come on Bonsai no need for that even on the Coyotes board. There are fans from Winnipeg that frequesnt these boards.
I can speak only for myself and not for other Coyotes fans, but the ill will engendered by the abuse we Arizona fans took from Winnipeg residents and fans runs deep.

As for Hjalmarsson, he knows that winning, and losing, can only be a season away. Look at Edmonton, for example, or Winnipeg. Except for Pittsburgh and Washington, I don't see much in the way of dynasties anymore.

Reactions: Jakey53 and doaner

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I can speak only for myself and not for other Coyotes fans, but the ill will engendered by the abuse we Arizona fans took from Winnipeg residents and fans runs deep.

As for Hjalmarsson, he knows that winning, and losing, can only be a season away. Look at Edmonton, for example, or Winnipeg. Except for Pittsburgh and Washington, I don't see much in the way of dynasties anymore.
Exactly, the Peg is finally winning this year but they could be the Oilers/Flames/Avalanche of years past next year. In the NHL, players think any team can win and turn it around, and they are right.

Reactions: Jakey53 and doaner

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Keep Hammer past the deadline, see if we can resign OEL this summer, and if he does, see how Hammer plays well next year, and if it goes well, extend him too.

Lots of if's and but's, but honestly, I have enjoyed everything Hammer has brought to the team and we might create yet again another hole should we move him.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
PSG that makes the most sense. Hjalmarrsson's value is probably not much less in the summer or next deadline than now. Keep him until the OEL thing is sorted.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Thought Hammer may want to play for a winner.
Has Winnipeg won a playoff game yet? The fact of the matter is the majority of players have Winnipeg on a No Trade List. It's unfortunate (I grew up in Winnipeg) but reality is Winnipeg will have to pay a premium to acquire talent just before NTC's kick in. I don't think that the slow moving Cheveldayoff is there just yet.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I would hold tight this time around. Do we really need to upgrade our 3rd and 4th lines? No. We need to upgrade our top 6, particularly with a 1C, and move a couple of second liners down to the 3rd line. What we need is big, and we won't be able to arrange for a 1C at the TDL as no team in contention wants to make that kind of change.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I think it will come down to if teams are willing to give up #1s. If they are, I could see Raanta and Hjalmarrsson being moved (if no contract extension for Raanta). Guys at the bottom of the roster like Richardson, Schenn, etc. should be moved if we can get 2s or 3s. Just doesn't make sense to lose them for nothing if there is no contract in place for next season. Those pics are a crap shoot anyway so might as well up our chances of landing anyone useful. Are we any better off for keeping Vrbata at the end of last year. I think it is quite the opposite.

Last edited:
Reactions: _Del_

rt

May 13, 2004
I think it will come down to if teams are willing to give up #1s. If they are, I could see Raanta and Hjalmarrsson being moved (if no contract extension for Raanta). Guys at the bottom of the roster like Richardson, Schenn, etc. should be moved if we can get 2s or 3s. Just doesn't make sense to lose them for nothing if there is no contract in place for next season. Those pics are a crap shoot anyway so might as well up our chances of landing anyone useful. Our we any better off for keeping Vrbata at the end of last year. I think it is quite the opposite.

I wouldn't trade Raanta or Hjalmarsson for the 1st round pick of a playoff team. I would also rather keep the roster together and continue to build on positive momentum and growth. I want the Perlinis, Dvoraks, Kellers, Fischers, and Chychruns on the team to feel what a cohesive, effective roster feels like. I don't need them exposed to another 12 game losing streak.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I'd prefer to sign Raanta, but if it's not done at the deadline and there is a first there, I'd take it.
If it's a playoff bubble team and the pick is not protected I agree 100% but I don't think that offer is going to be there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad