Rumor: Coyotes set high price for Ekman-Larsson, shopping Hjalmarsson

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
You guys are crazy if you think that is all OEL will bring. Marner or Dermott? There will be much better deals out there than that.
I think RT meant either of them as key piece plus other assets like high draft picks. I thought he meant both plus other assets. I think you will be sorely disappointed Jakey if a trade happens.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I am assuming any team trading for OEL is not looking for him as a 2 playoff run rental. They would have an extension agreed to with his agent. Chayka could wait until this summer to trade him once an extension can be in place for sure. In other words, Chayka won’t trade him for 2 playoff run rental value.

I see two problems. One, we can’t trade our best players and have any hope that this team will ever get better, we flat out shouldn’t trade him unless he refuses to sign. Two, trading him now would be to a playoff team, and those teams won’t give up the assets we would need to get it done right before A playoff run. Meaning we would get a significant established player as part of the return, it would leave a mark. I just don’t see it happening at the TDL, and we likely extend and keep him anyway this summer.

Yup. OEL is our best player and should be re-signed. If he is not, he either wants out because of the direction of this team or AB has no money.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
$8M? No thanks.
I was inflating on the initial post to make the point that they may have to overpay him to keep him here. I would hope they could sign him for less. Of course, I tend to undervalue anyway...

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think RT meant either of them as key piece plus other assets like high draft picks. I thought he meant both plus other assets. I think you will be sorely disappointed Jakey if a trade happens.

I would be ok with that if the + is significant. Players like OEL don't hit the trade market very often. I think he will bring back more than most think. The best scenario is we re-sign him and name him captain. We can't keep on trading our best or one of our best players.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I would be ok with that if the + is significant. Players like OEL don't hit the trade market very often. I think he will bring back more than most think. The best scenario is we re-sign him and name him captain. We can't keep on trading our best or one of our best players.
I could see a Marner, Gardiner, and a higher pick for OEL and a secondary prospect making the Coyotes a better team.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
You guys are crazy if you think that is all OEL will bring. Marner or Dermott? There will be much better deals out there than that.
First of all it was an example of specific pieces from a larger deal. Here's the post I was responding to:
...trading him now would be to a playoff team, and those teams won’t give up the assets we would need to get it done right before A playoff run. Meaning we would get a significant established player as part of the return, it would leave a mark. I just don’t see it happening at the TDL...
My post:
Contenders wouldn't give of key roster pieces playing top roles on the team but they would likely give up younger assets playing lesser roles currently(thinking of Marner or Dermott, etc ) or ones that are nearly NHL ready(thinking of Bellows or Heiskanen, etc) and also 1st round pick(s) which have the lowest value at the TDL (where roster players have max value) and the highest value at the draft (where roster player value is at its lowest point).

Getting cheap 1sts at the TDL and flipping them at peak value for roster players at the draft is intelligent asset management.

My major points were:

1.Contenders will be unlikely to give up roster pieces currently playing key roles

2.Contenders may be likely to give up roster pieces not in key positions (either in lesser roles or nearly NHL ready)
--2A. I illustrated those types of players with examples to help people better understand my point, but this backfired as everyone seems to have just got hung up on the examples
--2B. The types of assets I listed, while not currently key NHL roster players, can still be categorized as "assets we would need" because they could be key players for us next season, or parlayed into key players for us next season. This season is lost.

3. If you're going to trade OEL, do it at this TDL, not at the draft or at the next TDL. This is the only way to maximize his value. It would be a mistake to wait. If he's unwilling to offer a firm but unofficial committment to stay, we have to trade him before this TDL.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
uhhh Marner and Dermott would be a sick haul for OEL. Have you seen Dermott?? Helluva talent. That being said, i would hope that it would be out bid
Boy I think you are going to be a sad guy if a trade ever happens OR another fanbase is going to calling for their GM's head.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Boy I think you are going to be a sad guy if a trade ever happens OR another fanbase is going to calling for their GM's head.

did you read what i said?

I said I hope we would get out-bid, not that I expect to be. I even said that package from Toronto would be great. I don't do the whole HFboards pissing match about how one team values their players because most of the time, everybody is completely wrong and have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
did you read what i said?

I said I hope we would get out-bid, not that I expect to be. I even said that package from Toronto would be great. I don't do the whole HFboards pissing match about how one team values their players because most of the time, everybody is completely wrong and have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.
You said "I would hope" and to me that means different than I hope.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I don't think he gets that.

He’s making 5.5 now. A bit of a rise is expected but keep in mind Doughty and Karlsson are UFAs the same summer as Oliver. If those two command north of 10, maybe as high as 12, Oliver has leverage to get 8.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Come on, Dermott has played 10 games. He is nowhere close to being the main guy in a trade for OEL.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
He’s making 5.5 now. A bit of a rise is expected but keep in mind Doughty and Karlsson are UFAs the same summer as Oliver. If those two command north of 10, maybe as high as 12, Oliver has leverage to get 8.
OEL makes $7M next year. He has a blank check to re-sign. I believe AZ has ability to pay a premium.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
OEL makes $7M next year. He has a blank check to re-sign. I believe AZ has ability to pay a premium.
I sure as hell hope we don’t give him a blank check, he definitely doesn’t deserve it. If it were up to me he’d be gone by the end of the month while his value is at its highest.

Reactions: Lilhoody

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I sure as hell hope we don’t give him a blank check, he definitely doesn’t deserve it. If it were up to me he’d be gone by the end of the month while his value is at its highest.

Thank god it's not up to you. I would like to keep OEL and to continue building the team around him.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
As a Caps fan can I just say I would take OEL at 8 mil in a heartbeat, and I bet so would any team that could fit him under their cap as well.

I don't think he will get that. I really don't understand many of the posters on this board and their thinking. It seems every kid is gold and can do no wrong, yet every vet we have they want to trade away regardless of how good they are, even if said player is the best on the team.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
Hi guys,

Would something like that be tempting for you :

:coyotes

Karl Alzner
DLR
1st 2019

:habs
Niklas Hjalmarsson
2nd 2019

Way I see it :

Habs

Hjalmarsson is better than Alzner
Get rid of Alzner's contract
Get Yotes 2nd round pick (which will be early 2nd round).

Coyotes

Gets an NHL body on a longer contract (helps them to reach the cap floor for more years)
Move a few spots from 2nd round to slide into 1st round
Gets a young warm body to play C for them.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Hi guys,

Karl Alzner
DLR
1st 2019

Niklas Hjalmarsson
2nd 2019

Way I see it :

Habs

Coyotes

Gets an NHL body on a longer contract (helps them to reach the cap floor for more years)

Your value isn't terribly off, i just don't like the deal at all. Has Alzner been that bad? I hate his contract.

That being said, I'd much rather keep Hammer. He keeps OEL happy and has been our best defensemen when he's healthy. Easy pass from me.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
Your value isn't terribly off, i just don't like the deal at all. Has Alzner been that bad? I hate his contract.

That being said, I'd much rather keep Hammer. He keeps OEL happy and has been our best defensemen when he's healthy. Easy pass from me.

He hasn't been THAT bad, but I won't lie, he hasn't been great either (in his stay at home D role). He's so slow and I truly think West hockey would do him good with his style of play. To his defense, he's in a new team, system & Petry (his partner) has been awful to start the year.

Also, we all knew the minute he signed that contract that he wouldn't live up to it. Let's say he's now playing like a 3M player.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Hi guys,

Karl Alzner
DLR
1st 2019

Niklas Hjalmarsson
2nd 2019

Way I see it :

Habs

Coyotes

-DLR has no trade value.
-Alzner has negative trade value to a budget team like us.
-We don't want to give you Hjalmarsson for free.

EDIT: I forgot how bad Montreal has been this season and how high that pick would be. Take out Alzner, DLR, and the 2nd from our side and it's close to fair. Hjalmarsson for a 1st.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Cant see Arizona interested in trading Hjalmarsson for Alzner. The 1st is sure nice though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad