Rumor: Coyotes Pursuing Taylor Hall per Friedman

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
1st rounder is in the 20’s right now. If that’s the cost for a Taylor Hall then I’d pay it.
I'm not a big fan of rentals or Hall, but Bahl and a first doesn't bother me much.

I'll still probably be happier if he gets traded to Calgary and signs long-term.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I don't like dealing Prosvetov and the 1st would depend on the condition of course. If the condition is Hall signs with us or we win the SC I have no problem with it (We won't win and I don't think he'll sign here regardless).

Hall is probably a top 5 LW in my book and by Coyote-standards that's superstar level.
Hall was a top 5 but I think he has been surpassed ( in part due to injuries ). Ranking by ppg he is 15th among left wingers.

The Coyotes need scoring. Hall has shown he can score fairly consistently. He will help the team for sure. I am concerned about the cost in assets AND the cost to sign him.

Reactions: Fuhrious

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
The one thing that I will say about Bahl is that he has a combination of size and skating that isn't seen very often. I would be worried that we would sell Bahl like the way that the Islanders sold Chara. I don't necessarily want a team that is complaining about its lack of potential size/grit/etc. to then give away the closest thing that we have to providing that.

One other thing is that if there is an extension talk already in place, it may change the scope of the return. A signed Hall may be a return of Raanta, Keller, and a 2nd round pick. I don't think that anyone was granted any permission to discuss an extension or if that is even a possibility, so it may be a moot point.

Reactions: sundance74

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
Hall was a top 5 but I think he has been surpassed ( in part due to injuries ). Ranking by ppg he is 15th among left wingers.

The Coyotes need scoring. Hall has shown he can score fairly consistently. He will help the team for sure. I am concerned about the cost in assets AND the cost to sign him.
He might have regressed a bit but I don't think there's 10 or even 5 left wingers I would bet to have a bigger impact for half a season on the Coyotes.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
The intrigue around Bahl is that he could become a Chara. Giving that up for a rental would be very bad.

Of course, the probability of Bahl reaching that level is pretty low. He is more likely to max out at Tyler Myers kind of career. Still not bad.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
He might have regressed a bit but I don't think there's 10 or even 5 left wingers I would bet to have a bigger impact for half a season on the Coyotes.
Well, not that are available, no.

LW above him in the stats (ppg)
Marchand / Panarin / Huberdeau /Guentzel / Terevainen / Ovechkin / Paccioretty / Connor / Killhorn / Perron / Olofsson / Forsberg / Tatar / Vrana

Around Hall are BOTH Tkachuks, Evander Kane, Ehlers, Drouin, Gaudreau...

I would clearly take Hall over only 5 or 6 of those players.

Reactions: Fuhrious

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
The intrigue around Bahl is that he could become a Chara. Giving that up for a rental would be very bad.

Of course, the probability of Bahl reaching that level is pretty low. He is more likely to max out at Tyler Myers kind of career. Still not bad.

I would rather try to ride the player with things that can't be taught (like size) and make him the final person that I would prefer to trade, if all things are equal. What's funny is that there are a lot of these 2nd round defensemen in the 40-60 range that actually appear to be able to carve out decent careers. They aren't always dominant players, but I'd prefer to wait and see how things come around with Bahl, rather than move him too early.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Based on the exchange happening on the counterpart thread on the NJD subforum, precedent set by TDL deals for Duchene, Stone, etc., I think it's extremely wishful thinking that we get Hall for anything remotely close to Bahl, a 1st attached to such far-fetched conditions that it's realistically a 2nd, and Hossa's dead money. That would amount to a fleecing of Hanzal-esque proportions, and Shero just isnt that dumb.

Reactions: Jagged Ice

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

Marchand / Panarin / Huberdeau /Guentzel / Terevainen / Ovechkin / Paccioretty / Connor / Killhorn / Perron / Olofsson / Forsberg / Tatar / Vrana

But we also have to look at which one of those are even available. I think that 5 of the first 6 names are unlikely to go anywhere. After that, we have some potential similar players and stat lines that can be put up.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
But we also have to look at which one of those are even available. I think that 5 of the first 6 names are unlikely to go anywhere. After that, we have some potential similar players and stat lines that can be put up.
I mean, not to be pedantic but that's not what was said. It was clearly stated at least twice that Hall is a "top 5 LW". I personally had Ovie/Drai/Marchand/Panarin in some order 1-4 and personally dont know that Hall ekes out the #5 spot ahead of many of the players on Ducky's list.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Based on the exchange happening on the counterpart thread on the NJD subforum, precedent set by TDL deals for Duchene, Stone, etc., I think it's extremely wishful thinking that we get Hall for anything remotely close to Bahl and a 1st attached to such far-fetched conditions that it's realistically a 2nd, and Hossa's dead money. That would amount to a fleecing of Hanzal-esque proportions, and Shero just isnt that dumb.

I am still of the idea that a deal would consist of:

Raanta
one of Fischer, Crouse, Richardson, or Hinostroza
one of Bahl, Dineen, or Capobianco
conditional 2020 pick

If Bahl is a part of the deal, maybe we can talk NJ down to a 2020 2nd round pick instead of the conditional 1st. I just think that this makes the most sense, and Hinostroza or Richardson would be the preferred player to give up in order to make salaries work. If we have Raanta, Hinostroza, and a 2020 2nd round pick, with the inclusion of Bahl being the only hang up, wow that is tough to know that a deal may be that close. I'd even consider giving up Bahl, and that is not a player I really want to give up.

Are we missing anyone else? Could the idea be to deal Demers, Goligoski, or Oesterle and see if we can bring Soderstrom back over from Sweden? I think we have a lot of ways to make salary work in this deal.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping

Idk, he's still among those names despite playing for the Devils and despite shooting at 5.5%. I might agree he may fall just outside of the top 5, but I don't think it's that much of a reach to have him there. Maybe I'm biased.

Last edited:

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I think Hall will go to Calgary and keep the momentum going up there and they’ll continue to rocket up the Pacific standings.

He’s got motivation to re-sign there being that it’s his hometown and he’d like to stick it to Edmonton.

They’re in desperate need of positive press and this would be huge news up there. It would all but erase the coaching debacle. And they know they’re probably just a Hall away from locking up their division.
Hall was born in Calgary but he is a Kingston, Ont Boy . It's where he spends his off seasons.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Idk, he's still among those names despite playing for the Devils and despite shooting at 5.5%. I might agree he may fall just outside of the top 5, but I don't think it's that much of a reach to have him there. Maybe I'm biased.
Of course it is entirely possible I am biased, too. Mostly preparing to be underwhelmed if Chayka does trade for him :(

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
He's also come out and said, unless I'm mistaken (and I'm paraphrasing) that he admires how Tavares handled UFA and how it's a "player's right" that they specifically fought for and earned. I dont think it's a specific-to-the-Arizona Coyotes thing, I honestly think any team that trades for him has a 0% chance of extending.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Every day that goes by I lose more interest in aquiring Hall. I imagine the players hate this waiting game, same as the GMs. Would be interested in the cost of Krieder in comparison if Shero is going to continue to jank people's chains.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Hall was born in Calgary but he is a Kingston, Ont Boy . It's where he spends his off seasons.
I don't know what it's like to move across the country with your family at age 13-14. I don't know what one would consider home. I guess it has to do with where extended families are, etc. Who knows? Who cares? haha

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I don't know what it's like to move across the country with your family at age 13-14. I don't know what one would consider home. I guess it has to do with where extended families are, etc. Who knows? Who cares? haha
Me neither but in every interview or piece I have ever seen on Hall Kingston has been his home.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Me neither but in every interview or piece I have ever seen on Hall Kingston has been his home.

Seems fair. My personal and very anecdotal impression is, that's about the latest you can move, and feel the new place is your true home.

So, who do they root for there? Toronto? Buffalo?

Happy to see there is no trade yet, and happy to see I am not the only one. Giving up possible superstars for a non-scoring rental...

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Seems fair. My personal and very anecdotal impression is, that's about the latest you can move, and feel the new place is your true home.

So, who do they root for there? Toronto? Buffalo?

Happy to see there is no trade yet, and happy to see I am not the only one. Giving up possible superstars for a non-scoring rental...

Who is the possible super star we are giving up?

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Chayka on 910 just now:

On Trade discussion:
Tough to comment on any specific trade rumors
I take direction from players on what trying to do
My role is take the direction to improve our group
If something makes sense to add to the group, I'm open to it.
That said, a lot of things said are not reported
Good in short-term, but also long-term
Everything I've done has been a risk, but a calculated risk
Early on in the season, long way to go
My job is to balance short and long-term
No deals ever done until they're done
Number of discussions going on with trade freeze coming
99% of discussions don't turn into deals
We made some offers we're willing to execute on
2 sided discussion - can't speak for other teams

This reminds me of this:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Every day that goes by I lose more interest in aquiring Hall. I imagine the players hate this waiting game, same as the GMs. Would be interested in the cost of Krieder in comparison if Shero is going to continue to jank people's chains.
I wonder if scratching Hall was Shero's attempt at getting somebody to up their offer? If he is scratched, makes it look like he is trading him, if not to you, up your offer then. I think teams called his bluff and stood pat. So now what? He starts playing again and Shero waits until the TDL maybe.

Bottom line, I don't think the market is what it used to be for rentals, they don't work out 90% of the time for the buyer..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad