Rumor: Coyotes Pursuing Taylor Hall per Friedman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Depends on price. If it's Bahl, Hinostroza, and a conditional first then what did we really lose?

Hall is an immediate upgrade on Hinostroza (who is no guarantee to be on the team next year given our cap). Bahl is at least two years away and is behind guys like Soderstrom and Capobianco on the depth chart. OEL and Chychrun will still be around so he's a bottom pairing at best in the almost near future. And the pick, depends on the conditions.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Hall is doing only a bit better than Kessel at the moment
I think 25 points in 30 games is noticeably better than 19 points in 35, especially considering Hall has known he's a man on the move the last 10 games or so.

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
Rentals rarely work for teams that are cup contenders, and were not even that.

You guys just want something shiny. It looks nice but loses value as soon as you get it. In the mean time we lose some depth (which unlike a lot of top teams we dont have) and a high pick. Short term glory is a suckers bet.

I want to wait for guys that are going to and want to be here long term. If Hall signs fine, but no rental for me.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Depends on price. If it's Bahl, Hinostroza, and a conditional first then what did we really lose?

Hall is an immediate upgrade on Hinostroza (who is no guarantee to be on the team next year given our cap). Bahl is at least two years away and is behind guys like Soderstrom and Capobianco on the depth chart. OEL and Chychrun will still be around so he's a bottom pairing at best in the almost near future. And the pick, depends on the conditions.
The way it sounded everyone was higher than a kite on Bahl, now that he is mentioned in a trade, he is not considered much. Vinny could be used in a trade later on in the year. You have to ask yourself, why do we need a rental? Hall won't take us over the top, no one player not name McDavid will, so why even bother do this to lose these assets. There are arguments pro's and con's trading for Hall. For a rental, I say no, long term at a reasonable cost, what ever that is, I say yes.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think 25 points in 30 games is noticeably better than 19 points in 35, especially considering Hall has known he's a man on the move the last 10 games or so.
I agree, it might be more than "a bit better". :)

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'm not a fan of getting Hall in the first place bit if it's Bahl, Raanta, and a conditional first, and we are able to move Hossa out, I'm fine with it even as a rental.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
1st, I think Hall will bring out the best in Kessel. 2nd, Chayka thinks that a trade will legitimize the Coyotes as a destination, instead of an afterthought. 3rd, I believe Hossa's contract will be involved, which would make the Coyotes give up more assets than other teams. 4th, with Hall and a healthy D, the Coyotes can go on a playoff run and be one of the favorites in the West.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Watch this being held up over something stupid like trying to include Hossa but he won’t waive because NJ taxes hurt him more than AZ haha

Reactions: RABBIT

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
To be honest I think I’m more interested in Hall as a rental than a long term thing. Hall for a playoff push and the possibility of a deep run is enticing, especially considering the price. Hall for 10 million until 2027 is a little terrifying.

Reactions: Kaizen and DOTS13

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The way it sounded everyone was higher than a kite on Bahl, now that he is mentioned in a trade, he is not considered much. Vinny could be used in a trade later on in the year. You have to ask yourself, why do we need a rental? Hall won't take us over the top, no one player not name McDavid will, so why even bother do this to lose these assets. There are arguments pro's and con's trading for Hall. For a rental, I say no, long term at a reasonable cost, what ever that is, I say yes.

I think Bahl’s stock is being pumped a little right now because he’s about to play for the Canadian junior team. I think that says more about Canada’s lack of D depth than it does about Bahl.

I like Bahl. His skating is very good for his size but he’s also more gentle giant than physical considering his size. I’d like to see more from him in that area. I also don’t think he has much offensive game to speak of. Decent numbers in Ottawa this year but he’s a fourth year player and the team is championship contender.

Bahl is also a left shot. For the next 6 years or whatever it is we have the first two spots filled with Oliver and Chychrun. Best case scenario is Bahl tops out as a 4D and we may not even have the minutes for him. Do we really want to turn down Taylor Hall so Bahl can be our sixth D in 2023? He’s going to need at minimum two years in Tucson after all.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think Bahl’s stock is being pumped a little right now because he’s about to play for the Canadian junior team. I think that says more about Canada’s lack of D depth than it does about Bahl.

I like Bahl. His skating is very good for his size but he’s also more gentle giant than physical considering his size. I’d like to see more from him in that area. I also don’t think he has much offensive game to speak of. Decent numbers in Ottawa this year but he’s a fourth year player and the team is championship contender.

Bahl is also a left shot. For the next 6 years or whatever it is we have the first two spots filled with Oliver and Chychrun. Best case scenario is Bahl tops out as a 4D and we may not even have the minutes for him. Do we really want to turn down Taylor Hall so Bahl can be our sixth D in 2023? He’s going to need at minimum two years in Tucson after all.
That logjam at LD for the next 6 years is why he’s potentially available.

I will say this about Bahl. There isn’t another prospect like him in the NHL. If he can surpass expectations on development he could be a dominant shutdown D man. I have my concerns on timeline but Bahl but he’s surpassed my expectations in his development thus far. His skating has improved dramatically since his draft year. Would like to see that mean streak more often but this guy can accidentally hurt you with routine take out plays.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Hall on an 8 year deal could be bad come year 5-8. I'd still prefer to sign him long term than let him walk if we do get him though. He's at an awkward age for signing a long-term deal. Ideally I'd like every players deal to end at 34 then be year to year.

Reactions: Jakey53

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I don’t have a whole lot of hope that Hall ends up a Coyote. Seems it would have happened by now. My hopes are not up.

I would look at it as Chayka made an offer he’s content with but isn’t going to play Shero’s “match this if you can” game and pay more if some other GM gets stupid.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
The longer it drags out the less interested I am.

Unless our current offer is more insane than speculated (and I doubt it, some media games obviously going on)
I'm perfectly fine with Chayka holding firm at his current offer. I'm not less interested, I'm just not interesting in negotiating with ourselves while everyone else seems to be standing pat as well.

The days where broken Martin Hanzal gets 3 draft picks in a haul by himself are gone, rentals ain't worth what they used to be.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
A futures style deal tells me Raanta isn’t involved. It’ll be picks and prospects and a roster forward to create a space for Hall and to send dollars back to NJ. The Devils then retain whatever difference is needed to make the deal work.

Also don’t believe Raanta is going because Chayka has talked a lot about the value of two goalies like this, and we don’t have a suitable backup right now either.

Reactions: Jakey53

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
To be honest I think I’m more interested in Hall as a rental than a long term thing. Hall for a playoff push and the possibility of a deep run is enticing, especially considering the price. Hall for 10 million until 2027 is a little terrifying.
Yea I agree, but I'm not keen on giving up a first for him. I'm actually more inclined to try and get Saad from Chicago as he'll be able to put up 40-50pts and provide additional muscle in a playoff run.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Hayton!! No fricking way. Walk away walk away

The article mentions that Victor Soderstrom and Barrett Hayton are not on the table at all. As of right now I would say they are our only untouchables.

Chayka most likely has a 2020 1st, Kevin Bahl, and another lesser prospect like Merkley, or a lower round draft pick on the table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad