Rumor: Coyotes one of many teams inquiring about Pierre-Luc Dubois (UPD: Off to WPG)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
If there really are that many teams kicking tires there is no way a team that has pissed away so many high draft picks and made questionable choices with the ones they have used will have the best offer.

technoviking

Whatever's Clever
Aug 14, 2013
Scottsdale
Are you drinking Jakey?? PLD is a number 1 center who is generally at the top of the league in takeaways. Schmaltz is none of those things. The list of players who could not wait to be rid of Torts is very long. PLD signed a ream friendly deal with tge knowledge tgey were going to find him a new home. With no action he is now about to force their hand. I don't see him wanting AZ but he would be our best forward by a wide margin.

PLD is fantastic, and I remember all the shit they got when they drafted him. We don’t know the whole story with this situation and I’m in agreement that if BA acquires him that the proper due diligence was done beforehand.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If there really are that many teams kicking tires there is no way a team that has pissed away so many high draft picks and made questionable choices with the ones they have used will have the best offer.
I don’t believe Columbus is focused on draft picks or prospects that aren’t extremely close to ready. I suspect they want the lion’s share of the package value to be on an nhl roster today.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I don’t believe Columbus is focused on draft picks or prospects that aren’t extremely close to ready. I suspect they want the lion’s share of the package value to be on an nhl roster today.

They would absolutely target Dvorak + a bluechip as the principle return. Dvo is on a fantastic contract and has a lot of trade value.

I would do pretty much any deal that involved Schmaltz going the other way that protects Hayton, Jenik, Soderstrom, Maccelli, and Prosvetov.

rt

May 13, 2004
They would absolutely target Dvorak + a bluechip as the principle return. Dvo is on a fantastic contract and has a lot of trade value.

I would do pretty much any deal that involved Schmaltz going the other way that protects Hayton, Jenik, Soderstrom, Maccelli, and Prosvetov.
Also worth considering that Columbus likely has no interest in a defensemen at any level that represents a significant portion of the package value. I think they’re really wanting NHL forwards to be at least 75% of the value.

rt

May 13, 2004

Would you do Schmaltz, Crouse, Maccelli and a 2nd?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Would you do Schmaltz, Crouse, Maccelli and a 2nd?

I wouldn't unless the team is cold on Maccelli which seems unlikely. He's scoring well in a men's league. It's important to develop your own guys and not send a raft of them for someone else's problem child. That's basically how Schmaltz ended up here. I would add in more value or Farinacci instead of Maccelli.

I would be okay if the Schmaltz contract was deleted from existence tomorrow, which is why I'd want him to be the principle piece going the other way. Getting rid of that money gives BA more flexibility, and he has made excellent choices so far. Schmaltz is playing like he wants to stay, and he's probably the last guy on the roster I'd feed to Torts if I'm Jarmo, but that would be my angle.

I would have zero interest in a Hayton or Dvorak swap. Just not the right combo of chips to play at this time. A team like Ottawa aka someone with a surplus could make that call all day and not sweat it.

I'm pretty chill with whatever BA does. He told Stepan to get the f*** out right as games were kicking up. He's not shy about moves, and hasn't made any dumb ones yet. If PLD is a Coyote tomorrow I'll assume the due diligence was done and they have a plan to get him under more team control.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Just remember, guys, that Bill Armstrong isn't going to pay a premium for a guy who demonstrably isn't living up to what he demanded from his players in his first interviews - guys that go out and do their jobs.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Every player looking for a big contract leaves Columbus. There is no sugarcoating that. Their highest paid player is Atkinson at 5.85Mil.

I think PLD realised he would not get paid there, he probably also has had enough of Torts, perhaps not even that excited to play in that city, so he just opted to bring the unavoidable issue forward.

It looks bad now but will be quickly forgotten as soon as he performs in his next team - I don't believe it will take long.

I find it hard to believe that we are in the mix, but who knows, maybe BA wants to start his project by pinning down his long term 1C. I don't think it would be a bad idea, this is also how St Louis turned a corner.

We don't have picks but we have Schmaltz, Dvorak signed long term and many prospects doing well. Obviously we want to keep Dvorak, Soderstrom, Hayton, Jenik, Provestov but frankly if BA really wants to get PLD, he has the necessary cards to trade for him.

I would really like to see what this franchise could do with a 22 year old real 1C in the fold. But it would undoubtedly cost a fair bit, parting with some talent in the process, and with a strong chance that the whole thing backfires.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Every player looking for a big contract leaves Columbus. There is no sugarcoating that. Their highest paid player is Atkinson at 5.85Mil.

I think you reached the right conclusion but for the wrong reasons. Most players of that caliber that can call their destination wouldn't choose small town Ohio. I don't think it's any more complicated than that. Panarin left for NY, Carter wanted to be in LA, PLD would love to be in Montreal etc...

Reactions: ParisSaintGermain

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
Torts primarily, old school meets new school...as soon as CBJ misses the playoffs Torts will be sent packing.

That said, as an old school fan, I respect how hard Torts' teams play...he demands players to bring it every shift. Wish Tocc brought the same passion to his job.

I agree 100% with the first statement here but as a former hockey coach and current occupational manager I put myself into the new school category. Coaching is now more about providing the individual calculated feedback they need to succeed while still motivating them to want to perform their best for you and the team. Clearly Tort's management is very hostile to any perceived lack of improvement or mistakes. You can't expect everyone, similar to old vs new school child development, to respond positively to a loud verbal de-pantsing in front of their peers. Coaches can benefit from an open dialog and feedback from individuals without inciting a browbeating. Motivation for improvement goes beyond being afraid to make mistakes and abetting it is not any measure of passion for your work, Tocchet fails at his job for other reasons.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
It sounds like CBJ is nearing to have a trade in place. I guess if all our guys are in the line up as normal tonight, it won't be us!

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I agree 100% with the first statement here but as a former hockey coach and current occupational manager I put myself into the new school category. Coaching is now more about providing the individual calculated feedback they need to succeed while still motivating them to want to perform their best for you and the team. Clearly Tort's management is very hostile to any perceived lack of improvement or mistakes. You can't expect everyone, similar to old vs new school child development, to respond positively to a loud verbal de-pantsing in front of their peers. Coaches can benefit from an open dialog and feedback from individuals without inciting a browbeating. Motivation for improvement goes beyond being afraid to make mistakes and abetting it is not any measure of passion for your work, Tocchet fails at his job for other reasons.

Torts has actually reinvented himself several times now, as opposed to a genuine one note asshole like Keenan. He knew exactly what buttons to push to get PLD into beast mode in the playoffs and his players generally love him. They certainly work hard for him. I think you're seeing the symptoms - like the benching - but not the root cause.

I thought everything was peachy and PLD had finally found his groove after the playoffs but he doesn't want to be in Columbus and isn't saying anything publicly. That probably means he's unhappy with his living situation and just doesn't want it to get out until after he is traded.

Sucks for Columbus but that's how some of the high end guys act.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Dubois would be a fantastic get. As much as I like Dvorak I would include him in a deal for PLD. I think Hayton will be a better version of Dvorak sooner than later. Dubois makes Keller bigger.

A Columbus fan and I were discussing...his initial ask was 2 of Schmaltz, Keller and Hayton. He felt Schmaltz was necessary as a C replacement. I don't want to trade Hayton. And I think Schmaltz and Keller is too risky for the Coyotes - too much of our offense going away. My take was Schmaltz and Dvorak for Dubois and Peeke (big RHS D on their taxi squad).

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Chatter tonight have Jets offering Laine and Roslovic and Anaheim maybe offering more??

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Come on Jake. You know how important a #1 center is. He's young, big and a few years away from UFA too.
Jake: "We need a center! We never have centers! Why is Stepan playing so many minutes?! "

22 yr old, 6'3 , 60 pt, two-way center becomes available:
"What?! That's nuts! He 's barely worth more than Schmaltz!"

Reactions: RemoAZ

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Chatter tonight have Jets offering Laine and Roslovic and Anaheim maybe offering more??

You never know but hard to believe that Laine would sign an extension in Columbus. So this would feel like Dubois for Roslovic (who has not yet proven top two lines level) and whatever they get at the deadline for Laine (which could be substantial, but remains quite an unknown). So this feels like quite a trade on paper but a lot of uncertainty coming back.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
You never know but hard to believe that Laine would sign an extension in Columbus. So this would feel like Dubois for Roslovic (who has not yet proven top two lines level) and whatever they get at the deadline for Laine (which could be substantial, but remains quite an unknown). So this feels like quite a trade on paper but a lot of uncertainty coming back.
Winnipeg only gets one more year of PLD under contract so they both only get the chance to convince a guy who wants out of current city to sign in their's.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
PLD's Father is an Assistant Coach with the Moose, that can't hurt their chances of keeping him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad