Rumor: Coyotes one of many teams inquiring about Pierre-Luc Dubois (UPD: Off to WPG)

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Columbus would ask for one of Hayton, Dvorak, or Schmaltz to be in the deal and it should end there.

It's risky trading for a malcontent. I personally don't think highly of players that chafe under Torts, especially if he is trying to coach you up into a true 1C like he was in the playoffs. You're 22 and making 5 mil a year, listen to your GD coach.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
The due diligence is necessary. It's not often a 1C comes on the market. But as XX noted, there's substantial risk with a malcontent. Seugin turned out alright, RyJo did not and etc.

Reactions: Art.Vandelay

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Columbus would ask for one of Hayton, Dvorak, or Schmaltz to be in the deal and it should end there.

It's risky trading for a malcontent. I personally don't think highly of players that chafe under Torts, especially if he is trying to coach you up into a true 1C like he was in the playoffs. You're 22 and making 5 mil a year, listen to your GD coach.
If one of those 3 could be the main piece in a trade for PLD i would do it in a heartbeat, you then have a year and a bit to convince him to sign long term. If it was Schmaltz you would have the bonus of correcting a bad contract.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The due diligence is necessary. It's not often a 1C comes on the market. But as XX noted, there's substantial risk with a malcontent. Seugin turned out alright, RyJo did not and etc.

There's also the problem of his contract. He appears to be trying to speedrun to FA, so you would need to basically a.) get permission to talk to him before the trade and convince him and b.) take on more risk by signing him to a long term extension before he has ever demonstrated value for your organization, otherwise you just end up in the same spot Columbus is in.

The player is wildly talented but there's too many red flags and not enough trade ammo.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I'm also on the side of not really being interested in a player who seems to care more about his own success vs the team's success. It's one thing to want out but it's another thing to quit on your team and teammates. Especially since he's an integral part of their success on the ice and he knows that.

Would be a very Coyote's thing to somehow pull of a trade that gives away a lot of value and then he comes here, does ok... and leaves for nothing. Thus, setting the franchise even further back and adding another dagger into the pincushion that is a Coyotes fan's heart.

But hey, if the Yotes get him for peanuts... then why the heck not? Would never happen, though.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Seguin was buried in Boston behind Bergeron and Krecji. He already won a cup. It made sense for him to want to be a star somewhere. Pun intended :laugh:

RyJo is similar and he's faded away. Dubois seems worse to trade for. He seems to be more interested in playing in hockey market like MTL.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Seems many have read a lot into one singular shift from PLD. I would be nervous of the trade but he has another year and will still be an RFA, assets could be recouped.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
There's also the problem of his contract. He appears to be trying to speedrun to FA, so you would need to basically a.) get permission to talk to him before the trade and convince him and b.) take on more risk by signing him to a long term extension before he has ever demonstrated value for your organization, otherwise you just end up in the same spot Columbus is in.

The player is wildly talented but there's too many red flags and not enough trade ammo.
Plus his supposed preference is to play for a big market team. Montreal has assets and a homecoming is probably what PLD desires most....not that Jarmo would do anything to help him.

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Seems many have read a lot into one singular shift from PLD. I would be nervous of the trade but he has another year and will still be an RFA, assets could be recouped.
It's a lot more than one shift....this has been building for months.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

After his last shift I'm not really interested. He seems selfish. If we traded for him I'd expect him to test FA as soon as he can and go to MTL.
We as fans don't know the whole story. I guess the question I would ask the Columbus management is why are so many players wanting out?

Reactions: Schemp

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
On one hand potential 1C's only show up on the trade market once every 5 years or so. You can't get them unless you draft one otherwise. On the other hand the ask and risk just doesn't feel worth it. Have to see what could get it done but I hope we get priced out.

Wonder if there would be anything around Domi + PLD. Maybe now that Domi got dumped by one of his dream destinations he wouldn't mind coming back to a familiar home.

Schmaltz+Dvo+Lumbus 2nd for PLD and Domi? Or trade out Schmaltz for Hayton if they want the chance to swing at the fences. Probably off, and that's about all I'd be willing to put on the table after the net negative in assets we have after the Hall trade.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Jarmo would be after Dvorak+++ and I just wouldn't be interested. PLD would come here for a year or two, bro it up in Scottsdale, and then engineer a move elsewhere again. Just not worth it, especially seeing as how assets rarely appreciate in value in the desert.

Reactions: WrinkledPossum

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016

And even if he agrees to a long term deal what's stopping him from demanding a trade then pouting. He's shown that if he wants out he becomes useless on the ice.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
My conversation wouldn't go completely dead even if they asked for all three of those guys.
If they asked for ALL I would hang up immediately. Now, if they asked for one + I would start talking.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I agree, but is the ask is reasonable I would not think twice.

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
The only way I would be ok with trading for PLD is in a sign and trade scenario...which I dont see happening.

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
We as fans don't know the whole story. I guess the question I would ask the Columbus management is why are so many players wanting out?
Torts primarily, old school meets new school...as soon as CBJ misses the playoffs Torts will be sent packing.

That said, as an old school fan, I respect how hard Torts' teams play...he demands players to bring it every shift. Wish Tocc brought the same passion to his job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad