Confirmed with Link: Coyotes Hire Phil Housley as Assistant Coach

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The Allen hire I can understand and appreciate.

The MacLean hire I am extremely skeptical of. I hate to be the Debbie Downer but...

PP% NHL Rank:

02/03 NJD: (First NHL AC Job)
03/04 NJD: 30th out of 30
04/05 NJD: (Lock Out)
05/06 NJD: 18th out of 30
06/07 NJD: 15th out of 30
07/08 NJD: 21th out of 30
08/09 NJD: 16th out of 30
09/10 NJD: (Hired as AHL HC)
10/11 NJD: 29th out of 30 (Promoted to NHL HC and fired mid season)
11/12 CAR: 20th out of 30 (mid season replacement as NHL AC)
12/13 CAR: 29th out of 30
13/14 CAR: 28th out of 30

...this is EXTREMELY damning stuff. I know that I said the "fit is more important than the sum of past accomplishments" but this is REALLY terrible. That's his entire NHL coaching career right there. He's been the Forwards/PP coach every years he's been an NHL AC and he's had a consistently ineffective to terrible PP every single year. All of them are bad. Not one season with an effective PP.

The average PP% Rank of his 8 NHL AC seasons is 22nd out of 30.

The Carolina teams were pretty bad. None made the playoffs but they weren't terrible and weren't without some offensive weapons.

The Devils, though, were actually good during his time there. Consistently made the playoffs with him as AC and had some star power during his entire tenure. And yet the PP was just trash by comparison.

08-09 Division Winners
07-08 4th Seed in East
06-07 Division Winners
05-06 Division Winners
03-04 6th Seed in East
02-03 Division Winners

That's 4/6 seasons where they won their division and 6/6 season where they qualified for the playoffs (and never even as low as the last two seeds).

And yet...PP%

The Carolina teams were pretty bad. None made the playoffs but they weren't terrible and weren't without some offensive weapons.

The Devils, though, were actually good during his time there. Consistently made the playoffs with him as AC and had some star power during his entire tenure. And yet the PP was just trash by comparison.

08-09 Division Winners
07-08 4th Seed in East
06-07 Division Winners
05-06 Division Winners
03-04 6th Seed in East
02-03 Division Winners

That's 4/6 seasons where they won their division and 6/6 season where they qualified for the playoffs (and never even as low as the last two seeds).

And yet...PP%

...it's no wonder he was out of coaching. I'd say he probably should've stayed out of coaching. This is truly unacceptable.
Yep.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Or are we? This is Tocchet's staff after all and while Chayka makes the hires unless the coach is on some sort of probation(IE this aspect is a problem you must take Assistant X/Y/Z) he probably gets a lot of say in his staff, this kinda seems like a FoT(Friends of Tocchet) situation.

Or Allen has just made it known he's leaving.

This!!!!

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Also - did Craig get a scoop?

It does happen.
It would be a really good scoop though if he added to it by digging into the team's thought process behind the hire and what's going on with Allen before it actually happens in 10 day though.

Reactions: _Del_

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Also - did Craig get a scoop?

Gambo too. His source is Tocchet for sure.

I'm wondering if there is some bizarre set up where Allen takes over the forwards but keeps PK. Housley coaches the D and the PP. John MacLean is "promoted" to that "eye in the sky" coach in the press box.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I'd take middle of the pack over whatever the hell I was watching last season. Although it seems moot since Housley looks to be coaching the defense.
I wouldn't take middle of the pack if the team is a League leader like the Preds are most years.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
uiKhR61.jpg

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
A few things we have to consider:

- Allen still could sign, who tf knows. Morgan still thinks it could happen

- Allen has to know his worth at this point. He had an elite PK in Florida and had an elite PK here. He's an elite PK coach, he may have his pick of the litter at any coaching job in the NHL at this point.

- Probably not a money thing if he does leave, RT and JC both know how valuable he is, i doubt they wouldn't pay him especially with new funds available. Again, probably a location thing.

- This will suck

Reactions: _Del_

rt

May 13, 2004
Gambo too. His source is Tocchet for sure.

I'm wondering if there is some bizarre set up where Allen takes over the forwards but keeps PK. Housley coaches the D and the PP. John MacLean is "promoted" to that "eye in the sky" coach in the press box.
They plan on having a player liaison coach. MacLean is perfect for that. Maybe he and Tocchet can split F duty and liaison duty. Then maybe Housley can run PP and split D with Allen who runs P.K. I’d actually be totally fine with that.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
They plan on having a player liaison coach. MacLean is perfect for that. Maybe he and Tocchet can split F duty and liaison duty. Then maybe Housley can run PP and split D with Allen who runs P.K. I’d actually be totally fine with that.

Either way. Eye in the sky is simply a suggestion. Zamboni driver works too. Just gets his hands off the PP.

rt

May 13, 2004
I think MacLean is great communicator and popular guy and is probably an asset in some ways. He’s just a god awful power play coach. I’m okay keeping him. As long as it means keeping him the hell away from the PP. Housley is a fine choice for the PP job because he’s not John MacLean. Anyone who’s not MacLean is a fine choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00