Confirmed with Link: Coyotes Hire Phil Housley as Assistant Coach

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The same Doan that moped and pouted about trading "good guys" on expiring contracts when we were bottom-feeders? I don't want him anywhere near the operations decision-making process. Let him be a community ambassador, mentor kids, help new guys coming in to find houses, etc, etc. Something he might actually be good at.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
John MacLean coaching the PK?

The PP will improve dramatically.

The PK will regress dramatically.

MacLean will be given a 5 year extension.

Housley will be fired for having too LOUD a voice in the locker room.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The same Doan that moped and pouted about trading "good guys" on expiring contracts when we were bottom-feeders? I don't want him anywhere near the operations decision-making process. Let him be a community ambassador, mentor kids, help new guys coming in to find houses, etc, etc. Something he might actually be good at.
Yeah. He’s a soft skills guy. And he’s incredible at it. But strategy, tactics, big picture, etc - not so much.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
In the Q&A thing on the Athletic with Craig Morgan from today/yesterday/sometime in the middle of the night for me... it was mentioned that the PK systems were Tocchet's, so hopefully it doesn't take as big of a hit as may have been previously presumed. Of course no details on this were provided, so for all we know it's Tocchet's system that Allen tinkered with 90% of.

The other insinuation from management appears to be that the personnel are more integral, so since that's not changed much on the PK there may not be such a dramatic dropoff. This was brought up in discussion of the powerplay unit's new pieces, but I'm assuming they think the same for the PK.

Reactions: rt

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
The other insinuation from management appears to be that the personnel are more integral, so since that's not changed much on the PK there may not be such a dramatic dropoff.

I said a few weeks ago that regardless of whose system it is it's not like everyone will forget in one offseason what worked and just do something completely different. But I still don't like the idea of letting good coaches go who did their job and helped lead the team to the best special teams unit it has EVER had. Also it's not just the PK, but the defensive pairs have been noticeably more effective starting in 2018. Sure they still have flaws, we have a very soft defense but they get the most out of what they have. I want to reward coaches that did a good job not let them go for a retread Tocchet bud.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
In the Q&A thing on the Athletic with Craig Morgan from today/yesterday/sometime in the middle of the night for me... it was mentioned that the PK systems were Tocchet's, so hopefully it doesn't take as big of a hit as may have been previously presumed. Of course no details on this were provided, so for all we know it's Tocchet's system that Allen tinkered with 90% of.

The other insinuation from management appears to be that the personnel are more integral, so since that's not changed much on the PK there may not be such a dramatic dropoff. This was brought up in discussion of the powerplay unit's new pieces, but I'm assuming they think the same for the PK.

That's cool and all but why does MacLean still have a promintent role? He has a track record of not coaching the PP well. Cue rt quote. At some point it IS the coaching more than it is the personnel. Like if Kessel comes in, everyone is healthy, and the PP still sucks ass are they going to pretend that they need another piece?

I punt on the issue of 'managing' voices in the locker room. It's Tocchet's show. Doing this puts pressure on him, so if he feels it's worth it, I withold judgment until we see results. On the organizational front, it still looks absolutely terrible and embarassing to treat a good assistant/associate coach in the manner that they have. So, like in true Chayka era fashion, the Coyotes probably got the philosophy of the matter figured out but caused a bunch of unforced collateral damage in the process.

Reactions: knich

cobra427

May 6, 2012

PK and PP is way more about the players. Our PK should still be excellent and our PP will improve with Kessel. Allan an Tocc weren't on the same page sometimes, thats normal, it happens, they made a change. Maybe the mix in the room will be better with Housley.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
The other thing about the powerplay is the team lacked in establishing itself in the zone. If you looked at powerplay effectiveness across the league once teams have established control of the puck and set up their formations, the Coyotes may have been better than the bottom three or wherever they were ranked overall. However, because they could so rarely get to that point, they had limited time to actually produce scoring chances, and thus had such underwhelming results. If you controlled for just time in the zone with the puck you may very well have found that the team was all the way up at the top of the bottom 10 powerplays in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad